Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Michigan State - Sunday, 1/22/23 @ Noon on CBS

8 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

TJD has been on a tear recently, but those numbers are a bit off.  Against NU TJD had 18pts/24 rbds, PSU 14pts/11rbds, UW 18pts/12rbds.  The UI 35/9 and MSU 31/15 are correct.

8 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Great thing is, if we keep hitting from outside at a high rate that makes it more difficult for teams to double Davis despite how dominant he's been.  It becomes a pick your poison, let Davis go one on one and possibly own you or double and let someone open from range.

This is why a dominant big coupled with good shooters is very dangerous and hard to guard. Which makes it all the more puzzling that the previous coach didn't recruit or develop shooters to put around TJD.

6 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

This is why a dominant big coupled with good shooters is very dangerous and hard to guard. Which makes it all the more puzzling that the previous coach didn't recruit or develop shooters to put around TJD.

hahaha YESSS!!!! 

How in the world did he not recruit Loyer, Essegian, Smith... not one of them? How, how, how!!?!?!? 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

hahaha YESSS!!!! 

How in the world did he not recruit Loyer, Essegian, Smith... not one of them? How, how, how!!?!?!? 

They recruited Smith but in the end decided not to pursue harder.  I’m guessing with getting JHS and having Cupps already committed for the next year played a part.   Loyers originally from Michigan and his state of Indiana ties were all up North.   His mom is from the Lafayette area and was on the Purdue volleyball staff in the early 2000’s.   Essegian seems like the one that you could say they should have went after harder.     He is way better than i thought he was.   Bunch of teams missed out on him.    Without looking it up Indiana doesn’t usually do well in recruiting Northern Indiana kids unless I’m missing some.    Anderson and Rob are some but in the last decade how many kids has IU landed from the Northern part of the state?

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

They recruited Smith but in the end decided not to pursue harder.  I’m guessing with getting JHS and having Cupps already committed for the next year played a part.   Loyers originally from Michigan and his state of Indiana ties were all up North.   His mom is from the Lafayette area and was on the Purdue volleyball staff in the early 2000’s.   Essegian seems like the one that you could say they should have went after harder.     He is way better than i thought he was.   Bunch of teams missed out on him.    Without looking it up Indiana doesn’t usually do well in recruiting Northern Indiana kids unless I’m missing some.    Anderson and Rob are some but in the last decade how many kids has IU landed from the Northern part of the state?

Hold on. I'm complaining about the PREVIOUS staff. I understand why THIS staff didn't get those guys... but man, the weaknesses we had under CAM weren't rocket science. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hold on. I'm complaining about the PREVIOUS staff. I understand why THIS staff didn't get those guys... but man, the weaknesses we had under CAM weren't rocket science. 

True - different question, with two answers:

1. Archie's instincts sucked.
  2. Recruits saw the depressing Archie environment and probably did not express as much interest in being recruited by IU as they would currently.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

True - different question, with two answers:

1. Archie's instincts sucked.
  2. Recruits saw the depressing Archie environment and probably did not express as much interest in being recruited by IU as they would currently.

Personally, I hope Essegian gets in the portal. 

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Archie was still at IU my guess would be Smith would have  went to IU.   Miller and previous staff was recruiting him harder than any high major at the time.    It was still early but IU was showing him love 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

If Archie was still at IU my guess would be Smith would have  went to IU.   Miller and previous staff was recruiting him harder than any high major at the time.    It was still early but IU was showing him love 

Smith doesn't bother me as much as Essegian, we clearly aren't going to get every guy from Indiana, and JHS is obviously better than Smith.

I mean, Connor... is a day 1 stud at UW. I don't mean to make this a big deal and derail this thread. Just frustrating. 

Having CE in the fold, imo, would make the future seem even brighter. 

11 hours ago, hoosierdogg said:

TJD has been on a tear recently, but those numbers are a bit off.  Against NU TJD had 18pts/24 rbds, PSU 14pts/11rbds, UW 18pts/12rbds.  The UI 35/9 and MSU 31/15 are correct.

You never let facts get in the way of a good story.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!?! 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Smith doesn't bother me as much as Essegian, we clearly aren't going to get every guy from Indiana, and JHS is obviously better than Smith.

I mean, Connor... is a day 1 stud at UW. I don't mean to make this a big deal and derail this thread. Just frustrating. 

Agree about Essegian.  It would be awesome to have him with Cupps in the backcourt going forward (assuming we could go back in time and take our pick of Smith vs Essegian).  Nonetheless I'm still perplexed how Smith's recruitment played out and I wish he would have kept it open a little longer.   Purdue offered on April 26, 2021 and he committed on April 29, 2021 and Woodson's staff was only in place a little over a month at that point.  That was also only a handful of weeks after Jameel Brown decommited from PU to follow Shrewsbury to PSU.   I wonder if Painter basically pitched it as a "we've got a spot opened up for you if you take it now" type of deal.  

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Essegian is one of those recruits that was under the radar.    Before he blew up he didn’t have too many high major attention. Gard missed out on some of their top targets and began to recruit him.   Connor played for Indiana Elite and I’m pretty sure there might have been a Roth connection that could have got IU in the door.    Recruiting can be a tough gig especially for a program trying to turn things around. As we know rankings are not everything.   IU is in a tough spot in recruiting.  They don’t have the culture yet to take a flyer on kids in the lower 200’s unless you know he is better than that.   Clearly IU didn’t evaluate him right but that could go for every major team early in his recruiting process.   I admire kids that continue work and control their recruitment by their play.   Went from no major offers to over 5 in one evaluation period 

14 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

Agree about Essegian.  It would be awesome to have him with Cupps in the backcourt going forward (assuming we could go back in time and take our pick of Smith vs Essegian).  Nonetheless I'm still perplexed how Smith's recruitment played out and I wish he would have kept it open a little longer.   Purdue offered on April 26, 2021 and he committed on April 29, 2021 and Woodson's staff was only in place a little over a month at that point.  That was also only a handful of weeks after Jameel Brown decommited from PU to follow Shrewsbury to PSU.   I wonder if Painter basically pitched it as a "we've got a spot opened up for you if you take it now" type of deal.  

100% and the PT factor.