Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Michigan State - Sunday, 1/22/23 @ Noon on CBS

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Agreed, but he just gave a bunch of them bulletin board material.  Gonna have to back it up.  :)  

He’s been putting up Moses Malone stat lines this whole month. If opposing players haven’t found motivation yet, I’m not sure what tape they’re watching. 

1 hour ago, croneleoni said:

I guess we are a good shooting team??? Is anyone else surprised?Screenshot_20230122_153849_Twitter.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G981U using BtownBanners mobile app

I find it odd we went from the best defensive team to a team that can put up points but struggles on defense. I think the D is mostly mental—poor communication on screens is huge. I don’t want to get too far over my skis here but there’s a scenario where we get back to that something close to that defense and keep our current offense. That could include XJ coming back too.   

I’m not saying it’s likely but there’s a path back to that top 10-15 team we anticipated. I’m not predicting it, but it’s at the back of my mind. (Disclaimer: I have had a few cocktails :)

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

In years past I would have complained about this a lot. This year? I'm completely fine with how we're playing offense. 

TJD is dominating and IU is playing with an identity and a purpose on that end, as well as very efficiently. 

We've had multiple games with single digit 3PA in conference play. I understand playing to your strengths with TJD dominating the paint. However, I believe we're shooting a high enough % it's worth taking a few more. Single digit 3PA in modern basketball is unacceptable even with our efficiency from two.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

We've had multiple games with single digit 3PA in conference play. I understand playing to your strengths with TJD dominating the paint. However, I believe we're shooting a high enough % it's worth taking a few more. Single digit 3PA in modern basketball is unacceptable even with our efficiency from two.

Absolutely and completely agree. Just with this team it doesn't bother me quite as much. Don't want to see the low attempts every game and we need games like today. But, as we've discussed with this team it's all about that defensive identity. The offense has been fine. 

As long as TJD can keep using that palmed left hand ball effectively his confidence is at an extremely high level. When did he start using that anyway? Last 3 games or so?

Right now…. He’s a stud of STUDS! 
Unstoppable!

1 little criticism ….Don’t let them steal the ball from you!

38 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

So your saying, win by 35, instead of 25. Seems legit, kinda.

2 in the soup pot, is still however better than 3 in the bush.

Trayce's last six game string:  24.3 points per game, 13.3 rebounds per game, 4.5 assists per game, 3.7 blocks per game.  Even in the three losses, he was still bringing it.

Something else:  Trayce has been incredible the last three games.  Teams haven't been choosing to double much....the reason is that the rest of the team is shooting well enough that it doesn't allow it:  55 of 120 from the field (46%), 13 of 32 from three (40%), 23 of 29 from the line (79%).

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Trayce's last six game string:  24.3 points per game, 13.3 rebounds per game, 4.5 assists per game, 3.7 blocks per game.  Even in the three losses, he was still bringing it.

Something else:  Trayce has been incredible the last three games.  Teams haven't been choosing to double much....the reason is that the rest of the team is shooting well enough that it doesn't allow it:  55 of 120 from the field (46%), 13 of 32 from three (40%), 23 of 29 from the line (79%).

MSU somewhat doubled him and it still didn’t work for them

20 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Someone is going to draft him

This totally SUX ! for totally selfish reasons. One more year big guy, one more year!

But I will cheer you on no matter what!
(unless you turn into a selfish prick like victor, of course).

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think we've had a couple of games where we've shot less than 10 three pointers in conference.  I thought against Wisconsin we probably should have taken more, but the Illinois game TJD was getting such good looks that it would have been counterproductive to try to force them.

In conference from three:

Rutgers 6 of 25

Nebraksa 11 of 25

Iowa 8 of 15

Northwestern 9 of 18

Penn State 4 of 14

Wisconsin 1 of 8

Illinois 3 of 9

Michigan State 9 of 15

Totals:  51 of 129 (39%).  Average:  6.4 makes on 16.1 attempts in conference

For shits and giggles, our Big Ten opponents against us:

Rutgers 6 of 21

Nebraska 6 of 23

Iowa 7 of 19

Northwestern 7 of 19

Penn State 18 of 31

Wisconsin 5 of 24

Illinois 8 of 19

Michigan State 4 of 14

Totals:  61 of 170 (36%).  Average:  7.6 of 24.3 attempts in conference.

On top of his play, that he led a players only meeting that created this run puts a lid on the talk that he isn’t a leader.
That he’s leading this team now, both on the floor and in the locker room couldn’t be clearer. Absolutely loving this turnaround, and thanking TJD for a big part of it