Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Indiana at Illinois Thu 1/19/23 8:30pm FS1

19 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

It's not just last night though. If we win Sunday I like our chances in the next 3 if, Big if, we get the same consistency as we have these last 2 games.

MSU- win your home games
@Minnesota- everyone already had this one penciled in
OSU- struggling and win your home games
@Maryland- least likely but winnable

What did I say that was so outlandish? You look at those 4 games and they are what I said which is doable.

And for the record I never said we wouldn't win another B1G game.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Nothing you said was outlandish. This team can win or lose any game, even @Minny is a possible loss. I was just pointing out that we tend to jump in one direction or the other.

I also find it funny that "winning a natty won't change your life" but people are losing sleep over a regular season roadie against Ill.

Compete every possession and we have a chance against anyone. Talent is not the problem against most teams.
Don't compete and we can get our doors blown off while we're curled up in the fetal position.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I less than a week ago we were never going to win another game in the Big 1.o and now we're streaking for 6 after a great roadie!

That’s college basketball for you.   UConn was the best team in college basketball in my opinion a couple weeks ago.   Now they are 4-5 in their own conference.    Emotional roller coaster of fandom I would guess if people had them never winning another game this year and now some saying they are going to win 6 in a row.   Seems like a natural flow of a message board to me 

^^ In fairness to Mr. Chicken Sandwich though, I'm definitely coming around on my stance that the team was largely lost without X and Race. 

We're certainly better with them, we did very much look to be lost and sinking fast without them, losing to NW at home, no fire, floor leadership missing, but we were also much better than we played in those games --as we now see -- and have to say I absolutely did not see that beatdown of Illinois coming, even after the great game we played against Wisc (and I'm still waxing in that beatdown, that was a long time coming).

Btw, it's kinda funny - sad to see the absence of those posters here in this thread and during the beatdown, who always show up after losses to talk about how bad certain players are, or the staff. (And Chicken isn't one of them.)

25 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

^^ In fairness to Mr. Chicken Sandwich though, I'm definitely coming around on my stance that the team was largely lost without X and Race. 

We're certainly better with them, we did very much look to be lost and sinking fast without them, losing to NW at home, no fire, floor leadership missing, but we were also much better than we played in those games --as we now see -- and have to say I absolutely did not see that beatdown of Illinois coming, even after the great game we played against Wisc (and I'm still waxing in that beatdown, that was a long time coming).

Btw, it's kinda funny - sad to see the absence of those posters here in this thread and during the beatdown, who always show up after losses to talk about how bad certain players are, or the staff. (And Chicken isn't one of them.)

Chicken isn't a chicken

Not having X obviously hurts here, but right now we look like a junior high team against a press. Last night might have been the first time I've ever seen back to back 10 second calls, and the second one came off a missed free throw. 

It's not something we're likely to see for an entire game, but I could definitely see more teams doing it if we're up 8-10 points with ~5 minutes left. 

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Not having X obviously hurts here, but right now we look like a junior high team against a press. Last night might have been the first time I've ever seen back to back 10 second calls, and the second one came off a missed free throw. 

It's not something we're likely to see for an entire game, but I could definitely see more teams doing it if we're up 8-10 points with ~5 minutes left. 

Good news about that is breaking a press really isn’t that difficult if you just focus and get to your spots. Seems like something that can be easily fixed in practice but also just goes to show we really can’t have Jalen getting in foul trouble

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Exactly.

While certainly theoretically possible, it was completely out of place to think we’d be 1-7.

I know you’re rooting hard for IU, but that overwhelmingly negative assumption was a bad take IMO. I disagreed then and my opinion hasn’t changed. That's okay - the board is a place to throw out hot takes and have others push back at them.

BTW, I'm also not a fan of the hot takes that assume because we're currently playing great we won't lay an egg occasionally.

I don't think it was a bad take at all. We lost another starter, we were playing like a bottom 2 B1G team, playing zero defense, zero energy, zero effort, zero care, they weren't following the scouting reports. We were absolute garbage for 3 games. Saying you saw us winning these last two 100% would just be lying. Not after those performances. 

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don't think it was a bad take at all. We lost another starter, we were playing like a bottom 2 B1G team, playing zero defense, zero energy, zero effort, zero care, they weren't following the scouting reports. We were absolute garbage for 3 games. Saying you saw us winning these last two 100% would just be lying. Not after those performances. 

Yep. They didn't look like a team that just had to make a few adjustments after losing a starter, they instead looked like a team that was completely lost. They looked like they had never played basketball before and had no idea what they were doing.

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Most of these games (excluding anything with Minnesota) are all but coin flips as to who will win. I didn't see us winning any particular game, but I saw us winning games.

40 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

FWIW up 8-10 points with 5 minutes left and getting pressed is a kind of problem we were wishing we had against Northwestern and Penn State.  

19 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don't think it was an outrageous take but one that wasn't likely.  Think the most likely outcome was going to be 1-2 in the threes games.  Winning the first two was big.

After IU beat Wisconsin, I thought that if IU could get out of the at Illinois, Michigan State, at Minnesota, and Ohio State four games with a 3-1 record (which would put IU at 14-7 and 5-5 in the Big Ten), then the Hoosiers would be in decent shape.  My biggest concern was that of the four, the at Illinois looked to be the most difficult one.  I was totally not expecting what happened yesterday -- certainly by that margin.

And the Hoosiers doing that with a 20 to 9 foul differential?  Wow.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'll just copy what I posted back on Jan 10 in the Rant thread: :) :) 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:04 AM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So after this week, Indiana likely to be 1-5 in conference. Two games after are AT Illinois and Michigan State. I think that puts us at 1-7. Then we play AT Minnesota. I think that's our most realistic win right now. Unfortunately fine to reset expectations for the remainder of the season. We are a bottom 4 B1G team now. 

At 1-7, I think they're should absolutely be talks, and very serious talks, about Woody stepping down and retiring. 

Hey Debbie downer, let them play the games first.  We're going to win the next 4 and finally get the Wisconsin curse off our backs.  :)  

(PS don't quote me on this next week.  Gotta support the team. :)  )

image.gif

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I'll just copy what I posted back on Jan 10 in the Rant thread: :) :) 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:04 AM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So after this week, Indiana likely to be 1-5 in conference. Two games after are AT Illinois and Michigan State. I think that puts us at 1-7. Then we play AT Minnesota. I think that's our most realistic win right now. Unfortunately fine to reset expectations for the remainder of the season. We are a bottom 4 B1G team now. 

At 1-7, I think they're should absolutely be talks, and very serious talks, about Woody stepping down and retiring. 

Hey Debbie downer, let them play the games first.  We're going to win the next 4 and finally get the Wisconsin curse off our backs.  :)  

(PS don't quote me on this next week.  Gotta support the team. :)  )

image.gif

@Golfman25 for the win.

1 hour ago, IU_FanClub said:

Good news about that is breaking a press really isn’t that difficult if you just focus and get to your spots. Seems like something that can be easily fixed in practice but also just goes to show we really can’t have Jalen getting in foul trouble

The "press break" against Iowa begs to differ. We attempted to beat it the same damn way the entire game without ever getting someone in the middle and attacking after beating the front 3. That was god awful to watch for the majority of that game.