Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB v Wisconsin, Saturday 1/14, 1:00 pm EST on CBS

9 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Northwestern?  They are 140th in offensive efficiency and can't shoot.  The Wildcats are 260th in three point field goal percentage and 343rd in two point field goal percentage.  Just because we defended Wisconsin and didn't Northwestern doesn't make Northwestern's offense any good.  

I think you missed the point of that post. I never mentioned anything about Northwestern having a good offense or Wiscy for that matter. I stated they (Wiscy) is different than Iowa, NW, or Ill. You can toss in Penn State for that matter although I believe they get a good percentage of offense from threes.

10 hours ago, schoosier said:

Wow, I had no idea the 3 baller was a Hoosier from E Noble. How Kopp gets recruited and home grown plays for Wisky? 1-8 3s today

Ya…probably says something about our recruiting that he’s at Wisconsin and Loyer and Smith are at Purdue. All major contributors and good shooters as freshman on ranked Big Ten teams.  

Now the counter to that is we have JHS, who I wouldn’t trade for any of them. But boy, it’d be nice if we had one of the three to knock down some of those TJD kick-outs. 

Something that caught my attention during this game  was that JHS continuously got to his spot and converted. Too often in the past our "shooters" were chucking from wherever they caught the ball or ended up. It never felt like they were trying to get to their spot. JHS seemed to make a move to get to his spot where he took the shot. I'd like to see others do the same.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Something that caught my attention during this game  was that JHS continuously got to his spot and converted. Too often in the past our "shooters" were chucking from wherever they caught the ball or ended up. It never felt like they were trying to get to their spot. JHS seemed to make a move to get to his spot where he took the shot. I'd like to see others do the same.

I’ve heard Woody preach “getting to your spot” in many interviews.

JHS’s spot is clearly the elbow, and at 6’6” not many guards are interfering with his shot vision if/when he gets there.

JHS is the best on the team creating his own shot because there’s so many spaces where he can do so. In fact, him and Bates are currently better at that than anyone from last year, and better than Trayce at that.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

That's also what happens when you're an NBA caliber player. We haven't really had that at the guard spot since Yogi (which seems crazy that it's been that long). NBA talent can get to where they want to. 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

JHS’s spot is clearly the elbow, and at 6’6” not many guards are interfering with his shot vision if/when he gets there.

JHS is the best on the team creating his own shot because there’s so many spaces where he can do so. In fact, him and Bates are currently better at that than anyone from last year, and better than Trayce at that.

And JHS has a little D Derozan game, that midrange that most have abandoned for the 3 or layup/dunk/floater. Yes the outside shot is better statistically in the abstract, but when a guy can create his shot like that (Kobe as the extreme examp) it further spreads the floor and opens lanes. 

And loved how he has the confidence and attacking nature to see him go off like that after starting 0-4 — keep attacking!

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Last six games for JHS:

44 of 80 from the field (55%), 14 of 26 from three (54%), 14 of 22 free throws (64%), 3.8 rpg, 5,0 apg, 19.3 ppg

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

So much complaining going on that many are missing what JHS is doing. We’ve got a stud guard now let’s right the ship.

Yep.

Selfishly a little concerned that he could be a one and done.  The one area of concern coming in -- perimeter shooting -- hasn't been a concern for JHS.  Hit 44% (22 of 50) for the year and been even better against quality opponents (Big Ten games + UNC, Xavier, Kansas -- he didn't play against Rutgers, Nebraska or Arizona):  14 of 25 from three in those games.  

FWIW, Sports Illustrated had JHS in their mock draft at #46 five days ago.  I don't think a mid second round grade would entice him, but who knows.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yep.

Selfishly a little concerned that he could be a one and done.  The one area of concern coming in -- perimeter shooting -- hasn't been a concern for JHS.  Hit 44% (22 of 50) for the year and been even better against quality opponents (Big Ten games + UNC, Xavier, Kansas -- he didn't play against Rutgers, Nebraska or Arizona):  14 of 25 from three in those games.  

FWIW, Sports Illustrated had JHS in their mock draft at #46 five days ago.  I don't think a mid second round grade would entice him, but who knows.

I'm almost convinced that he'll be a one and done. I think once he gets into the pre-draft workouts for teams he'll jump into the first round. He has his warts, but they're pretty fixable. Our outlook next season is a lot different with a sophomore Fino so I hope he's back, but I'm having trouble seeing it.