Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) - PG Travis Perry to Kentucky

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

When his dad's the coach.

Also seems to be Kentucky thing. There’ve been a few of those through the years.

Side note: no disrespect to the kid, but I don’t care if you’re 12 yo Lebron James, if you average 20 as a 7th grader, it’s fair to assume :1) your varsity sucks, and 2) your schedule really sucks.

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

Also seems to be Kentucky thing. There’ve been a few of those through the years.

Side note: no disrespect to the kid, but I don’t care if you’re 12 yo Lebron James, if you average 20 as a 7th grader, it’s fair to assume :1) your varsity sucks, and 2) your schedule really sucks.

AAU numbers are encouraging enough to not worry me, but yeah that competition is cheeks.

I can't imagine getting cooked by a 7th grader as a coach or a player.

Lyon County season records

2014-2015:  10-17

2015-2016:  11-20

2016-2017:  15-14

2017-2018:  Did Not Find

2018-2019:  21-10   (7th Grade)         Ryan Perry named head coach June 2019; was a Lyon Co. asst. coach

2019-2020:  18-10  (8th Grade)

2020-2021:  22-4   (Freshman)

2021-2022:  29-7   (Sophomore)

2022-2023:  17-5   (Junior)

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

AAU numbers are encouraging enough to not worry me, but yeah that competition is cheeks.

I can't imagine getting cooked by a 7th grader as a coach or a player.

Oh yeah, there’s no question Perry’s a high major kid. But, man, if your coach can’t figure out how to get the ball out of the hands of a child, that’s not so good.

From a quick Google, the national leader in career points had 6,702. That guy also played 80+ games his senior season, as did the guy in 2nd with 5,367. 3rd place is Jackie Moreland with 5,030. Without doing any math at all, it looks like Perry will likely finish top-5, and maybe even top-2, in career points nationally. 

10 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Have we actually got a chance here?  That kind of scoring would be nice but seems like pUKe would have him if they want him.

I think we do. 

It is going to be hard to commit to UK for the next year or two with Cal (and this truly the case) on the hot seat, or at least in limbo as to whether he is tired of all the drama and is considering retirement. They may still get a direct delivery of a five star, but for a kid that will have to earn minutes? UK under Cal is becoming a tougher sell than expected.

And I'll go on the record that for me, reading about this kid's next-level court sense makes him a great get. He's a proven shooter, but the passing and vision is the skill that he needs at the next level.

In a mismatch, Lyon Co. (21-5) routed John Hardin (2-17) 95-57.  I had Perry with 32p; 2r; 7a; 6s; 2b; 1t and he sat out the last 7 minutes of the game.    11-17 FG; 6-10 on 3s; 4-4 FT.      He scored 32 but I was as much impressed with his 7 assists, 5 of them in the 3rd Q making a genuine effort to let other teammates score when he could have just as easily taken the shot himself.  

Saturday Lyon County defeated Bracken County 66-61.  Perry 32p and 9r.     10-25 FG; 4-9 on 3s; 8-10 FT.

Last night Lyon County defeated Univerity Heights Academy 81-61.  This game was on YouTube and he finished with 34p; 7r; 5a; 3s; 3b; 3t.   12-25 FG; 2-8 on 3s; 8-8 FT.       Season averages:  51% FG; 46% on 3s; 88% FT.   

He has quick hands and gets lots of deflections and averages 5 steals/game.  Hard nosed.  Not strictly a jump shooter and will take it to the basket and doesn't hesitate to dive for loose balls.  Can be going right or left and pull up for a jump shot.  Also has very good court vision and averages 5 assists/game to go along with his 31ppg.  2 of his rebounds in the UHA game were offensive on a teammates missed FT.  Not terribly optimistic we can land him but a guy can dream.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

62 points last night in front of Calapiri

Hell of a number against pretty much anyone, but if they wanted to get him a scoring record, I don’t really love dropping 62 on some gym class you beat by 58. And, yeah, I know I’m being no fun guy here. Just in a bit of a mood.