Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

31 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Here is the deal. If iu wants to be good we need to hire a proven winner who is still hungry and wants to win. Or get the right younger guy who can coach and will not settle for anything but greatness! I question 2 things with Woodson.
His coaching skills and his hunger to be successful at iu. I believe he wants to win but is he willing to put the work in to be successful? Can he even do what is required? I believe crean had the energy and desire but just couldn't get the job done. I am not sure Woody still has the energy. Hopefully I am wrong

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

It's easy to say go hire a proven winner but the last couple of searches have proven that maybe a winner doesn't want to leave their job and come here. 

4 hours ago, hoosierfan84 said:

Just remember, this is what the fan base has been screaming for ever since RMK was fired. Just have to have an IU guy running things. Now they've got it. Careful what you ask for, that's going to most likely be the lesson to learn here with CMW.

Whether you would think he was the guy or not, I don't think Woodson was the IU guy people had in mind when they were calling for that....(cough Alford cough)

And I honestly believe those calls decreased for most of the fanbase the further we got from Knight.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Whether you would think he was the guy or not, I don't think Woodson was the IU guy people had in mind when they were calling for that....(cough Alford cough)

And I honestly believe those calls decreased for most of the fanbase the further we got from Knight.

I just didn't think there was an IU guy that was good enough and I definitely didn't want Alford.

16 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I just didn't think there was an IU guy that was good enough and I definitely didn't want Alford.

I think we just need to go get a competent guy.  If we get a winner we have some built in program advantages with NIL that should attract some talent.  We need to be running some type of system though.

I know a bunch of people did not want Alford in the end, but I think when most of that "We need an IU guy" talk was most prevalent, usually those people meant, "We need Steve Alford."

I remember when Coach Woodson took over IU. He was on Dakich and he even said it in his press conference regarding players in the portal: We have to want these players for them to come back. It sure doesn't seem like it. I 100% understand transitions. But 7 of the 13 players on this current team were handpicked by probably the worst coach in program history. 9 of 13 last year. Also, two of our three current assistant coaches were from the previous staff. I'm sorry but this has to be asked. Why? I'm not saying to completely clean house, but of those 7 players from the previous staff 3 are not B1G caliber players. The jury is still out on some. I just think in today's era of the portal a new coach needs to bring in new talent when he is taking over a job. Especially when the program has been a losing one like IU was! X and JHS are guys Woody brought in. I've been impressed so far. Tamar is up and down but still he's an upgrade. Maybe Malik too. Imagine our roster if Woodson was able to bring in some more guys. Again, this is his fault. I'm just saying I think this question needs to be asked. Majority of our program has players/coaches from what is in my opinion one of the worst periods of IU basketball. It was understandable last year. It's year two now. Not a bright idea looking back on it. 

Coach Prime.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

i.e Coach Prime. Colorado.

4 hours ago, str8baller said:

I think some people romanticize the what-ifs of keeping Sampson. For starters, forget IU…The NCAA was going to rake us over the coals if we kept him. He received a show-cause as it were.   We were going to have to rebuild the whole thing even if he stayed. 

Secondly, I think many people are overlooking the cultural fit aspect. It want exactly going well off the court with Sampson by the time he was fired.   

Sampson is to blame for being a moron. The people who brought him to IU are to blame for being morons. The people who caught and fired Sampson did the only thing they could do at the time. 

We wouldn’t of had to rebuild anything. The NCAA didn’t do anything to us. We told on ourselves by self-reporting phone calls….not prostitution…not fake classes…not paying players…but PHONE CALLS. Everything else followed. This is why we raked ourselves over the coals far more than KS.

Sampson would’ve won titles…and culture fit would’ve been fine. He recruited a bunch of good kids coming in:

Roth,

Elston,

Pritchard,

Ebanks

He’s made a dormant program like Houston into a title contender…and his culture fit at Houston seems just fine. He will be elected to the Hall of Fame when it’s all over. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

We wouldn’t of had to rebuild anything. The NCAA didn’t do anything to us. We told on ourselves by self-reporting phone calls….not prostitution…not fake classes…not paying players…but PHONE CALLS. Everything else followed. This is why we raked ourselves far more than KS.

Sampson would’ve won titles…and culture fit would’ve been fine. He recruited a bunch of good kids coming in:

Roth,

Elston,

Pritchard,

Ebanks

He’s made a dormant program like Houston into a title contender…and his culture fit at Houston seems just fine. He will be elected to the Hall of Fame when it’s all over. It’s not romanticizing.

Reported ourselves and sanctioned ourselves.  I'm pretty sure even the NCAA thought we were led by morons after that.

19 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

We wouldn’t of had to rebuild anything. The NCAA didn’t do anything to us. We told on ourselves by self-reporting phone calls….not prostitution…not fake classes…not paying players…but PHONE CALLS. Everything else followed. This is why we raked ourselves far more than KS.

Roth,

Elston,

Pritchard,

Ebanks

He’s made a dormant program like Houston into a title contender…and his culture fit at Houston seems just fine. He will be elected to the Hall of Fame when it’s all over. It’s not romanticizing.

And the 5 year show cause penalty he received? The NCAA would likely have absolutely hammered IU if they had kept him.

It wasn't a big deal because it was phone calls, it was a big deal because he had already gotten in trouble for doing the exact same thing. He basically acted like he was above the NCAA's rules. How do you think the NCAA would've reacted towards IU if they had kept him? In doing so, they'd be saying that the NCAA rules don't really apply to them, either. The NCAA is incompetent but they would've done more to IU if they had kept him.

Besides, that class isn't all that impressive. Certainly not worth getting hammered even worse by the NCAA for having the audacity to not fall in line by keeping Sampson. 3 of the 4 ended up at IU regardless. 

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

And the 5 year show cause penalty he received? The NCAA would likely have absolutely hammered IU if they had kept him.

It wasn't a big deal because it was phone calls, it was a big deal because he had already gotten in trouble for doing the exact same thing. He basically acted like he was above the NCAA's rules. How do you think the NCAA would've reacted towards IU if they had kept him? In doing so, they'd be saying that the NCAA rules don't really apply to them, either. The NCAA is incompetent but they would've done more to IU if they had kept him.

Thank you. I can’t believe this is still being debated over a decade later. 

9 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Again, we self-reported. There would’ve been no violation…no ncaa show cause without self reporting. 

5 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

In doing so, they'd be saying that the NCAA rules don't really apply to them either

Not saying we should bring him back - but this is kinda the norm now. NCAA investigates - school tells them to kick rocks and they aren’t able to do much. Times have  changed and Emmeritt had done a hell of a job tanking that organization’s rep. Just that line stuck out to me

11 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Besides, that class isn't all that impressive. Certainly not worth getting hammered even worse by the NCAA for having the audacity to not fall in line by keeping Sampson. 3 of the 4 ended up at IU regardless. 

UNC in court basically told the NCAA to suck a lemon and what exactly happened to UNC?

And what 3 of the 4 ended up at IU anyway?

10 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Thank you. I can’t believe this is still being debated over a decade later. 

It’s a very important part of IUBB history and that’s why it’s talked about a decade later. People have their personal opinions about it. There is no wrong opinion. I understand differing opinions…but I, like so many others have a different opinion than you do on this.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

UNC in court basically told the NCAA to suck a lemon and what exactly happened to UNC?

The only thing I would say there’s a good 10-15 years separating those misdeeds. Emmerit had quite a few foul ups between Sampson time and the UNC and FBI stuff

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

UNC was able to get away with it because it was academics and the classes were also offered to non-athletes. They were able to successfully argue that it wasn't within the NCAA's purview. Phone calls to recruits, on the other hand, would have received no such exemption.

3 of the 4 recruits that Hoosier987 mentioned in the post I was responding to.

1 minute ago, kreigh8 said:

The only thing I would say there’s a good 10-15 years separating those misdeeds. Emmerit had quite a few foul ups between Sampson time and the UNC and FBI stuff

we SELF-reported. It wasn’t Emmerit or the NCAA. We SELF inflicted.

This is simply going back to the argument of whether our admin is capable of putting a winning product on the floor, as mentioned earlier in the thread. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

we SELF-reported. It wasn’t Emmerit or the NCAA. We SELF inflicted.

This is simply going back to the argument of whether our admin is capable of putting a winning product on the floor, as mentioned earlier in the thread. 

Totally agree just between those 15 years Emerrit showed he had little power if a school just doesn’t cooperate the way IU did

We all know where I stood on the Woodson hire. 

Losing two starters to injuries is going to hurt, no matter what team you are. That being said, I thought the team could still beat Iowa and Northwestern. Basketball is weird, anyone can win on any night. But I have some issues so far with Woodson.. 

- Player Development

- Offense

I think he means good on defense, I don’t think the boys are performing the scout well, that’s not on Woodson. But the offense is very hard to watch, not much different than Archie’s basketball. I’m still waiting for TJD to shoot some outside shots like he suggested he would in the summer. 

Player development has been.. disappointing. I was hoping to see a more versatile TJD. Jordan doesn’t look much improved at all, Race has been up and down, mostly down. I do love Trey’s new jumper, but I haven’t been impressed in the player development. 

I never bought into the pre season hype of this team, there were too many variables that were unproven. I think it’s a potential NCAA team but the Big Ten will decide that. 

14 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

3 of the 4 recruits that Hoosier987 mentioned in the post I was responding to.

Sampson could coach around Crean in his sleep. Who’s to say Pritchard, Roth and Elston wouldn’t have had bigger impacts with a better coach? They were high character kids that wanted to play for Sampson and IU. I believe Houston has a ton of players rated around or even below those 3…and yet find themselves as odds on favorites to win the Title this year.  Also…Ebanks was a stud. Let’s not forget TU Hollowell as well. He and Jordan Crawford single handily led Xavier to a deep run in the 2010 tourney…along with Ebanks leading WVU.