Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

Just remember, this is what the fan base has been screaming for ever since RMK was fired. Just have to have an IU guy running things. Now they've got it. Careful what you ask for, that's going to most likely be the lesson to learn here with CMW.

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

know this will come off sappy and probably a little pathetic.  This last week I have been looking at myself and not liking my attitude or what I see of myself.  I am really working on my faith and trying to be a better person. So the first thing I need to do is to apologize to anyone on here I have offended over the years. The thing I need to work on is accepting that other people will have different opinions than mine and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone has the right to their opinion and mine are no better than anybody else.

None of us are right or wrong with how we fill about things and who am I to question anybody's opinion on any subject. Over the years I have acted like I knew more about IU and my opinion is the only right opinion . 

I really thinking about this today after the game where I was disappointed in our loss.  Driving to my son's house in Plainfield to pick him up for the Pacers game. I told myself not to let the outcome of the game to ruin my time with my son. Got to his house and got to see my two granddaughters and it just brought a new perspective for me. There is no reason an outcome of a sporting event should ever effect my mood.  I have no influence on what happens on the court or field and did nothing to prepare for the game.  I just sit on my fat butt on the couch watching others play sports.

I know the ridicule about this post will come but I wanted to get this off if my chest. 

Go Hoosiers 

I hope nobody gets offended by going back and forth on a message board. We all want the same thing but have different thoughts on how to get there. That doesn't make anyone wrong, a bad person, or not a fan. It's just a different perspective from someone who has had different experiences as an IU fan.

I have a different experience with IU athletics and the university than others on here. Where I am coming from can vary a little to a lot different when compared to others on this board. It's part of what makes it fun and it would be extremely boring if everyone agreed with everything. *Nothing I post is meant as an attack on an individual or their character, including anything mentioned about players and coaches.

On a personal note, while I'm sure we have vastly different beliefs, best of luck on strengthening your faith and your personal journey to becoming a better version of yourself.

*This doesn't include Alaska or Josh. Screw those dudes and their dumb posts.

23 minutes ago, hoosierfan84 said:

Just remember, this is what the fan base has been screaming for ever since RMK was fired. Just have to have an IU guy running things. Now they've got it. Careful what you ask for, that's going to most likely be the lesson to learn here with CMW.

Michael Lewis just said, "WTF?"

6 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Our admin tanked it far more than Sampson

I think some people romanticize the what-ifs of keeping Sampson. For starters, forget IU…The NCAA was going to rake us over the coals if we kept him. He received a show-cause as it were.   We were going to have to rebuild the whole thing even if he stayed. 

Secondly, I think many people are overlooking the cultural fit aspect. It want exactly going well off the court with Sampson by the time he was fired.   

Sampson is to blame for being a moron. The people who brought him to IU are to blame for being morons. The people who caught and fired Sampson did the only thing they could do at the time. 

28 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Marking out over winning a teeny Toyota. Did he not save his money?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Jared Jeffries is completely squared-away, and has a full--time job as a scout for the Denver Nuggets. He was just excited and having a lot of fun. A NEW COROLLA?!? YAAAAAY!!!

Oprah Winfrey Happy GIF - Oprah Winfrey Happy Excited GIFs

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

A possible consequence of this is the younger players believing this is an acceptable way. Those players continue doing what they saw the older players doing and the cycle doesn't get broken of what is acceptable vs. unacceptable.

Hulls, VJIII, Watford, Oladipo and that group worked their @$$ off to develop individually and as a team to get better. They addressed weaknesses in the offseason and were hungry for success. It showed. I don't get that from this group. I thought we'd be better than last season from adding pieces and a year of maturity. I believe we are more talented but not sure from a team perspective. The team from last season had a difficult time scoring but against our current defense we might make Phinisee look like an offensive juggernaut.

Bingo. Another thing I said going into this offseason. Do they want to get better? Hulls seemed like a quiet guy but supposedly (read this in an IU book by Hutchens) he got pretty snippy in the offseason Zeller arrived. He was tired of losing. These guys, while I think they are great people, don't have that same fire. If they did, we would've seen it by now. I think that's what stinks. For years IU had those guys under Knight. That '02 team I'm sure did. Crean only had a few groups. Have to get back to that. I've heard awesome things about Bates working hard. He's getting there. 

Even though I disagree with Woodson's setup of his roster/staff I still believe in him. I hope this group can turn it around. I don't like to make excuses but when you lose two starters like X and Race our team isn't going to be as good. Still shouldn't blow 21 point leads or lose at home to NWestern. I think this offseason is going to be very important. I think he needs changes on his staff. I'm not sure what Brian Walsh did to deserve being promoted to assitant coach. I get Fife needed to be let go. But you're telling me there was nobody better? We know this roster will look different. Quit keeping guys who aren't seeing the floor after 2-3 years. Why waste a spot when you can get someone in the portal. 

So, I guess, my question is; irrespective of talent level, who are the players who demonstrate (or have the potential) to sustain focus, commit to hard work, pressure the opponent, and play team defense?

For me, in ranked order:

1. Trey Galloway
  2. Xavier Johnson
  3. Miller Kopp
  4. Trayce
  5. Race
  6. CJ Gunn
  7. Jalen Hood Schifino
  8. Tamar Bates
  9. Logan Duncomb (not enough run to tell)
  10. Kaleb Banks (not enough run to tell)
  11. Malik Reneau
  12. Jordan Geronimo
  13. Leal (Won't ever get enough run to tell)

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So, I guess, my question is; irrespective of talent level, who are the players who demonstrate (or have the potential) to sustain focus, commit to hard work, pressure the opponent, and play team defense?

For me, in ranked order:

1. Trey Galloway
  2. Xavier Johnson
  3. Miller Kopp
  4. Trayce
  5. Race
  6. CJ Gunn
  7. Jalen Hood Schifino
  8. Tamar Bates
  11. Malik Reneau
  12. Jordan Geronimo

Agree. Malik and Jordan look so lost. It's like they've regressed. 

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

Agree. Malik and Jordan look so lost. It's like they've regressed. 

But the order on that list has changed for me regarding some of our vets. And it could for those two soon. If it does we'll be so, so much better. 

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me, in ranked order:

1. Trey Galloway
  2. Xavier Johnson
  3. Miller Kopp
  4. Trayce
  5. Race
  6. CJ Gunn
  7. Jalen Hood Schifino
  8. Tamar Bates
  11. Malik Reneau
  12. Jordan Geronimo

This might be worthy of its own thread.

Demonstrate vs potential for me would be 2 separate lists.

DEMONSTRATE

1. Trey Galloway
  2. Xavier Johnson
  3. Miller Kopp
  4. CJ Gunn
  5. Trayce
  6. Race
  7. Jalen Hood Schifino
  8. Tamar Bates
  9. Malik Reneau
  10. Jordan Geronimo

Banks, Duncomb and Leal

13 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Bingo. Another thing I said going into this offseason. Do they want to get better? Hulls seemed like a quiet guy but supposedly (read this in an IU book by Hutchens) he got pretty snippy in the offseason Zeller arrived. He was tired of losing. These guys, while I think they are great people, don't have that same fire. If they did, we would've seen it by now. I think that's what stinks. For years IU had those guys under Knight. That '02 team I'm sure did. Crean only had a few groups. Have to get back to that. I've heard awesome things about Bates working hard. He's getting there. 

Even though I disagree with Woodson's setup of his roster/staff I still believe in him. I hope this group can turn it around. I don't like to make excuses but when you lose two starters like X and Race our team isn't going to be as good. Still shouldn't blow 21 point leads or lose at home to NWestern. I think this offseason is going to be very important. I think he needs changes on his staff. I'm not sure what Brian Walsh did to deserve being promoted to assitant coach. I get Fife needed to be let go. But you're telling me there was nobody better? We know this roster will look different. Quit keeping guys who aren't seeing the floor after 2-3 years. Why waste a spot when you can get someone in the portal. 

This core group has won just enough. They're not extremely limited talent wise like the first Crean years. They have won just enough we could blame it on coaches why they didn't win enough. We could blame it on officials for getting just one or two calls wrong that would screw us out of a game. We could blame it on being young or just a few lapses in concentration that we got beat.

We beat ourselves in the offseason when the foundation is set. We beat ourselves when we didn't hold ourselves accountable. We beat ourselves when we didn't improve our current skills or develop new ones. We beat ourselves when we didn't hold ourselves accountable. We beat ourselves when we didn't show the newcomers what it takes to be great. We beat ourselves when we were competing against last seasons version and each other.

It feels like this group just doesn't want to be hated. This group doesn't have a great deal of competitiveness.
This isn't intended to knock any current player or coach. It takes all kinds in this world. I'm sure they put in time during the offseason but I do question at what level and how focused. I'm sure they're competitive but to what degree? It's easy to look busy but it's hard to hold yourself and others accountable, to truly put in the work to get better, and then perform at that raised level of expectations. We're not there. I'm sure Woody knows what it takes but can he get others to not only understand it but to live it?

22 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Meanwhile Jared Jeffries won a car on The Price Is Right!

Would love to see some sort of video comparison done to his walk to that "tiny" car (he not fitting in that thing) compared to some reactions he had after a play at IU (Duke game). Feel like there was some similarity in the way his hands were and that strut of sorts

Here is the deal. If iu wants to be good we need to hire a proven winner who is still hungry and wants to win. Or get the right younger guy who can coach and will not settle for anything but greatness! I question 2 things with Woodson.
His coaching skills and his hunger to be successful at iu. I believe he wants to win but is he willing to put the work in to be successful? Can he even do what is required? I believe crean had the energy and desire but just couldn't get the job done. I am not sure Woody still has the energy. Hopefully I am wrong

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Just now, coonhounds said:

Here is the deal. If iu wants to be good we need to hire a proven winner who is still hungry and wants to win. Or get the right younger guy who can coach and will not settle for anything but greatness! I question 2 things with Woodson.
His coaching skills and his hunger to be successful at iu. I believe he wants to win but is he willing to put the work in to be successful? Can he even do what is required? I believe crean had the energy and desire but just couldn't get the job done. I am not sure Woody still has the energy. Hopefully I am wrong

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Unicorns buddy.  A proven winner has no reason to leave his current situation.  Younger guys tend to pee down their pants when they get here.  Maybe in 2-3 years Mike Lewis at Ball State will fit the bill -- both a proven winner and young (ish)?