Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

coonhounds

Game Thread: vs. Northwestern 1/8/23 at Noon on FS1

40 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Woodson has only had a 1.5 years.  Way too early for things like effort and not getting punked at home.  This stage is about making sure their shoes aren't laced too tight.

There is merit to this.  However, it's getting "W's" that count.  Woodson can't be doing things like keeping/playing guys solely out of loyalty or refusing transfers that would benefit the program (rumored). 

5 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

There is merit to this.  However, it's getting "W's" that count.  Woodson can't be doing things like keeping/playing guys solely out of loyalty or refusing transfers that would benefit the program (rumored). 

Any actually player names to these rumors?

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Do we?  Ball don’t lie. 

Talent actually needs to be instructed, developed, coached, and led. Basketball talent is not the area we're lacking, especially against teams like Iowa and NW. That talent seems to arrive in Btown and then become really comfortable with just being and not getting better. That's where we are as a program.

14 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

There shouldn't be any merit to what I posted.  Effort should be an absolute bare minimum from day 1, thinking it's optional should be totally unacceptable.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Talent actually needs to be instructed, developed, coached, and led. Basketball talent is not the area we're lacking, especially against teams like Iowa and NW. That talent seems to arrive in Btown and then become really comfortable with just being and not getting better. That's where we are as a program.

I get that.  And I just can’t believe for the second coach in a row they aren’t “coaching.”  I’m thinking the players aren’t getting it.  30 seconds into the game we had a player blow a defensive assignment for an easy score. Time and time again it’s happening.  Only thing left in my mind is the motivation of the bench, and yes I fault woody for that.  

7 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Do we?  Ball don’t lie. 

Matt Painter recruits guys we’d never want and somehow finds a way to get them to produce. I remember scoffing when @btownqb said we should recruit Braden Smith and now Painter has him starting/playing 29 mpg on the #1 team in the country. We regularly lose to teams with less ‘talent.’ Whatever happens to guys once they arrive at IU is beyond me. 

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I get that.  And I just can’t believe for the second coach in a row they aren’t “coaching.”  I’m thinking the players aren’t getting it.  30 seconds into the game we had a player blow a defensive assignment for an easy score. Time and time again it’s happening.  Only thing left in my mind is the motivation of the bench, and yes I fault woody for that.  

Sure it's more than just coaching. You have to recruit talent that wants to be coached, instructed, developed, and led. You have to surround them with similarly like-minded players. When your culture is part-time e and e we get the product we've seen in the recent past. Woody was supposed to change that. It doesn't take years to set a baseline.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Matt Painter recruits guys we’d never want and somehow finds a way to get them to produce. I remember scoffing when @btownqb said we should recruit Braden Smith and now Painter has him starting/playing 29 mpg on the #1 team in the country. We regularly lose to teams with less ‘talent.’ Whatever happens to guys once they arrive at IU is beyond me. 

They probably get exposed to the toxic fans. Let's not try to hold any of the people actually involved with this program accountable. That wouldn't make any sense. Definitely the fans on message boards.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I read Bob Knight once told Painter "you get the players I would've gotten".  About made me sick.

JHS had a great scoring game. 6 TO’s were a killer. His first one …. The game wasn’t 10 secs old.He took the tip and promptly threw it RIGHT TO NW.

Set the tone for the game right outta the gate.

No Bueno