Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU_FanClub

Scott Dolson

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

This kind of fits what your saying. I've been around both Dolson and Kraft. Dolson was a super nice guy and Kraft was kind of an A-hole. But in the job that is what you have to be. I think as long as QB is leading the BoT then Dolson and Woodson are safe for a little while.

Agree…maybe should add QB to the list of those who they should be succession planning for too! If he’s presumably the BOT lead for athletics, his batting average is mid at best.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This kind of fits what your saying. I've been around both Dolson and Kraft. Dolson was a super nice guy and Kraft was kind of an A-hole. But in the job that is what you have to be. I think as long as QB is leading the BoT then Dolson and Woodson are safe for a little while.

I know you're right in this, but it's nuts to think the silly, lovable color analyst for the Pacers is among the most powerful people at IU lol.

"You all want Dolson and Woody gone? *backhand clap* Smothered chicken!!!"

35 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Yet, many programs do. Kansas is obviously the gold standard. UCLA lands on coaches that have taken them to FFs at least (and Harrick title…lol). IU can’t even sniff that. UNC managed a transition from Dean to Williams. UK managed just fine. 

I look to football too and see Michigan figured it out after about a decade. Up here in Wisconsin I watched Barry Alvarez hire winning coach after winning coach, but Barry knows more about football than most people have forgotten. I always thought the turmoils of ND football and IU basketball were eerily similar from their last championship. Yet even they managed to snag Kelly and make two “final fours.” Ohio state does just fine.  

I’m sure I could name more if I thought about it longer. But the point is for talented and competent people it isn’t “a crap shoot.” Hell, if it were “a crap shoot” odds are we’d win every once in a while and land a winning coach just on the odds.  

Maybe 10-15 schools have done it consistently, out of several hundred?  Not an easy thing to do.  And none of those places started from the "death penalty" we had after Sampson.  That's part of the problem.  Until IU becomes stable again, we won't be attractive to another "elite" coach.  

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Maybe 10-15 schools have done it consistently, out of several hundred?  Not an easy thing to do.  And none of those places started from the "death penalty" we had after Sampson.  That's part of the problem.  Until IU becomes stable again, we won't be attractive to another "elite" coach.  

IU didn’t start with the “death penalty.” They created that situation.  IU started on Sept. 10th, 2000. 

And yea…It’s mostly the elite schools that get it right more often than not. That is what makes them elite, no? So we agree on that part. 

Where we disagree is about the crap shoot. If it were just dumb luck, we’d have landed on someone by now. We’re worse than dumb luck. Just dumb, I suppose. 

Just now, str8baller said:

IU didn’t start with the “death penalty.” They created that situation.  IU started on Sept. 10th, 2000. 

And yea…It’s mostly the elite schools that get it right more often than not. That is what makes them elite, no? So we agree on that part. 

Where we disagree is about the crap shoot. If it were just dumb luck, we’d have landed on someone by now. We’re worse than dumb luck. Just dumb, I suppose. 

Only 5 coaches in.  We don't have a statistically large enough sample size yet.  :)  

8 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Fair enough, but it's easy to sit behind a keyboard on the interweb and say shoulda woulda coulda.  And all I am saying that it's easier said than done, and very few ADs/GMs etc. can do it.  I would posit that nobody here would have hired Coach K based on his first 8 years.  

I agree no one would have hired away coach K, but seeing the inner workings of his program would allow you to keep him at Duke vs fire him etc. 

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

It seems to me… at least based on the boards…. that every hire IU has made since Mike Davis goes like this….  IU targets an elite level coach, is almost about to hire them, and then all of a sudden everything is sabotaged… heard it was Pitino at Beilin to IU…. We ended up with Sampson, then same where we had Donovan lined up then we had archie…. Hearing the same that it was the same with the AD and we ended up with Dolsen… who keeps sabotaging? Why does this keep happening? 

39 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

It seems to me… at least based on the boards…. that every hire IU has made since Mike Davis goes like this….  IU targets an elite level coach, is almost about to hire them, and then all of a sudden everything is sabotaged… heard it was Pitino at Beilin to IU…. We ended up with Sampson, then same where we had Donovan lined up then we had archie…. Hearing the same that it was the same with the AD and we ended up with Dolsen… who keeps sabotaging? Why does this keep happening? 

Make a run at Dovovan now -- he's sub .500 with the Bulls.  :)  

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I really don't think Donovan was ever an option. 

47 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I really don't think Donovan was ever an option. 

Maybe not. Point is that Indiana seems to fumble the bag. 

Also, if i'm not mistaken, Glass was hired when we didn't have a president, and Dolson was hired when we also didn't have a president? Maybe this is the issue here? Maybe new President can make a positive change? 

12 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Maybe not. Point is that Indiana seems to fumble the bag. 

Also, if i'm not mistaken, Glass was hired when we didn't have a president, and Dolson was hired when we also didn't have a president? Maybe this is the issue here? Maybe new President can make a positive change? 

McRobbie was president for both hires.

17 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

IU doesn’t seem to be very good at knowing when they’re being used as a bargaining chip for a coach to get what they want someplace else. I’d bet that’s per much what the Pitino talk was. And I’d be shocked if that’s not how the whole Brad Stevens thing went down.  

IU is just a babe in the woods. 

11 minutes ago, str8baller said:

IU doesn’t seem to be very good at knowing when they’re being used as a bargaining chip for a coach to get what they want someplace else. I’d bet that’s per much what the Pitino talk was. And I’d be shocked if that’s not how the whole Brad Stevens thing went down.  

IU is just a babe in the woods. 

I'm almost 100% sure that's how the Brad Stevens deal went down.