Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU_FanClub

Scott Dolson

8 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Who would fire him?  McRobbie?  I've got a better chance of landing a date with Emma Watson.  The Aussie couldn't possibly care less.

McRobbie isn't the president any longer 

7 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Heads would've rolled at UK long before now.

Why didn't they fire Cal after last year after losing to St. Peters, after two years ago not making the tournament.

9 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Coach K was 55% at Army with 3 of 5 winning seasons. First 3 years at Duke he has on winning season and was 44%.  Not quite elite performance.   Compare to Roy Williams.  He pretty much kicked @$$ from day one.  

The whole point I was trying to make is that you can tell if someone is elite before their performance shows. Coach K would be a great example. Inner workings of his program vs. record would indicate that he would be wildly successful 

16 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

The whole point I was trying to make is that you can tell if someone is elite before their performance shows. Coach K would be a great example. Inner workings of his program vs. record would indicate that he would be wildly successful 

Wildly successful when?  It took him 8 years before he broke out.  

45 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

A character that has always shown ultra competitiveness (hates losing more than likes winning), has a system that he knows what personnel he needs to succeed with it, knows what accountability means and why it's vital in a team setting. An ability to understand his own weaknesses and surround himself with people that can counter those weaknesses. Just a couple off the top of my head. If i thought for awhile I could probably make a more extensive list. There's always a risk and you never really know and I get that.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

You don't think Crean, Archie and Woody had that shpeel down?  Crean and Archie had a one dimensional system that worked at the mid major level, and didn't really work in the Big 10.  They clearly failed to adopt.  

Point is you don't know.  Unless your hiring a proven winner -- ie; Willams to UNC.  And if you're going after a proven winner, why would they leave their current situation for IU?  Moving guys up from assistants or mid majors -- it's just a crap shoot.  

You don't think Crean, Archie and Woody had that shpeel down?  Crean and Archie had a one dimensional system that worked at the mid major level, and didn't really work in the Big 10.  They clearly failed to adopt.  
Point is you don't know.  Unless your hiring a proven winner -- ie; Willams to UNC.  And if you're going after a proven winner, why would they leave their current situation for IU?  Moving guys up from assistants or mid majors -- it's just a crap shoot.  
I'm not looking for a schpiel. I'm looking for demonstrated results/actions. Have to dig deep sometimes and sometimes you have to go with your gut judgment. I interviewed a lot of people for various roles and I could a) sniff out BS and b) know I was talking to a natural leader. And I already acknowledged that you never really know for sure but you can certainly have a very good idea of what you'll get from an individual. I think the last 3 coaches brought something to the table that was enticing at the time but not sure they demonstrated all of the necessary things that would equate to sustained success. Crean was an energetic, seemingly clean (what we wanted after Sampson) and enthusiastic coach but lacked in so many other areas. Miller had a history of exceeding expectations and had a defensive philosophy (what we were pining for after Crean), albeit at an incredibly different level of play but lacked, again, in so many other areas. Woodson was a "Hoosier" and a likeable personality (not necessarily what we all cared about but some did) but clearly lacks in so many other areas. Stop looking for the specific thing that rules the moment and look for the totality of a leader that will get it done.

I'm not looking for a schpiel. I'm looking for demonstrated results/actions. Have to dig deep sometimes and sometimes you have to go with your gut judgment. I interviewed a lot of people for various roles and I could a) sniff out BS and b) know I was talking to a natural leader. And I already acknowledged that you never really know for sure but you can certainly have a very good idea of what you'll get from an individual. I think the last 3 coaches brought something to the table that was enticing at the time but not sure they demonstrated all of the necessary things that would equate to sustained success. Crean was an energetic, seemingly clean (what we wanted after Sampson) and enthusiastic coach but lacked in so many other areas. Miller had a history of exceeding expectations and had a defensive philosophy (what we were pining for after Crean), albeit at an incredibly different level of play but lacked, again, in so many other areas. Woodson was a "Hoosier" and a likeable personality (not necessarily what we all cared about but some did) but clearly lacks in so many other areas. Stop looking for the specific thing that rules the moment and look for the totality of a leader that will get it done.

Not sure why a sun with with shades comes up with the letter "b" lol

10 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Not sure why a sun with with shades comes up with the letter "b" lol

I've been trying to fix this for years and still haven't found the setting lol.

11 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Maybe they made it past the interview process. But if you know the inner workings of how they run their program, you’d be able to identify areas of concern quickly. We as fans don’t have insight, but the AD would.

Extending Crean was concerning for a multitude of reasons. All of the reasons he was let go at IU and Georgia were apparent at the time of the extension. I don’t believe our AD is capable of evaluating elite level coaching and don’t understand what it takes to become elite.

Does anyone think Dolson who is a lifelong IU employee would say I will step down to a lesser job at IU? Maybe go back to fundraising and let someone else be the AD. I think it's a long shot, he could probably retire if he is let go in a few years. I don't think he likes the pressure and it might be showing he's not all that great at being the boss.

Just now, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Maybe they made it past the interview process. But if you know the inner workings of how they run their program, you’d be able to identify areas of concern quickly. We as fans don’t have insight, but the AD would.

Extending Crean was concerning for a multitude of reasons. All of the reasons he was let go at IU and Georgia were apparent at the time of the extension. I don’t believe our AD is capable of evaluating elite level coaching and don’t understand what it takes to become elite.

Fair enough, but it's easy to sit behind a keyboard on the interweb and say shoulda woulda coulda.  And all I am saying that it's easier said than done, and very few ADs/GMs etc. can do it.  I would posit that nobody here would have hired Coach K based on his first 8 years.  

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Does anyone think Dolson who is a lifelong IU employee would say I will step down to a lesser job at IU? 

No, I don't see that happening. Even if he did, would IU actually do something to bring in a competent AD? I have my doubts since those hirings have been as half-a$$ed as those of the basketball and football coaches.

4 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

No, I don't see that happening. Even if he did, would IU actually do something to bring in a competent AD? I have my doubts since those hirings have been as half-a$$ed as those of the basketball and football coaches.

I think most IU fans are having doubts right now about the BoT's, the president, the AD, and the football and basketball coaches. The only thing we feel good about is WBB, soccer and swimming, and diving. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think most IU fans are having doubts right now about the BoT's, the president, the AD, and the football and basketball coaches. The only thing we feel good about is WBB, soccer and swimming, and diving. 

Problem is the BOTs, President and the AD, football and basketball coaches, don't have any doubts about themselves.  :) 

44 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not arguing your point, just asking -- because although I grew up in Indiana and graduated from IU, I haven't lived Indiana in 30 years and don't have any idea: Do people have issues with Whitten? She's been on the job -- what, a year? And she seems to be a very big sports fan, whereas I'm not sure McRobbie even knew we had a swimming team. 

32 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm not arguing your point, just asking -- because although I grew up in Indiana and graduated from IU, I haven't lived Indiana in 30 years and don't have any idea: Do people have issues with Whitten? She's been on the job -- what, a year? And she seems to be a very big sports fan, whereas I'm not sure McRobbie even knew we had a swimming team. 

I don't think it's anything to do with her. For some reason, there are people who aren't even aware McRobbie retired. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

No I don't think people have an issue with Whitten yet. At least people in Athletics don't yet, some do in academics. I was just including her because she hasn't been here long enough to hire or fire anyone

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said: And all I am saying that it's easier said than done, and very few ADs/GMs etc. can do it.  I would posit that nobody here would have hired Coach K based on his first 8 years.  

Yet, many programs do. Kansas is obviously the gold standard. UCLA lands on coaches that have taken them to FFs at least (and Harrick title…lol). IU can’t even sniff that. UNC managed a transition from Dean to Williams. UK managed just fine. 

I look to football too and see Michigan figured it out after about a decade. Up here in Wisconsin I watched Barry Alvarez hire winning coach after winning coach, but Barry knows more about football than most people have forgotten. I always thought the turmoils of ND football and IU basketball were eerily similar from their last championship. Yet even they managed to snag Kelly and make two “final fours.” Ohio state does just fine.  

I’m sure I could name more if I thought about it longer. But the point is for talented and competent people it isn’t “a crap shoot.” Hell, if it were “a crap shoot” odds are we’d win every once in a while and land a winning coach just on the odds.  

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Does anyone think Dolson who is a lifelong IU employee would say I will step down to a lesser job at IU? Maybe go back to fundraising and let someone else be the AD. I think it's a long shot, he could probably retire if he is let go in a few years. I don't think he likes the pressure and it might be showing he's not all that great at being the boss.

I think he’s clearly in over his head, was Glass’s hand picked successor, and brought all the experience of fund raising for the Varsity Club - rah IU! Sure he’s an IU lifer…but for AD, you need someone who sees athletics as a hyper competitive business - and is experienced and willing to do and deal what it takes to be successful. I just don’t think Dolson’s that guy. Could’ve had Pat Kraft…who had direct experience, and is now at Penn St. Would be irresponsible to move on Dolson w/out being pretty darn sure who the next guy is.  But, if BOT is not actively in the process of  at least hypothetical succession planning for Allen, Woody and Dolson…it’s a bit of dereliction of duty. Maybe they’re  just content w/mediocrity in good years in rev generating sports…and happy to keep cashing that B1G tv contract $$.

3 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

I think he’s clearly in over his head, was Glass’s hand picked successor, and brought all the experience of fund raising for the Varsity Club - rah IU! Sure he’s an IU lifer…but for AD, you need someone who sees athletics as a hyper competitive business - and is experienced and willing to do and deal what it takes to be successful. I just don’t think Dolson’s that guy. Could’ve had Pat Kraft…who had direct experience, and is now at Penn St. Would be irresponsible to move on Dolson w/out being pretty darn sure who the next guy is.  But, if BOT is not actively in the process of  at least hypothetical succession planning for Allen, Woody and Dolson…it’s a bit of dereliction of duty. Maybe they’re  just content w/mediocrity in good years in rev generating sports…and happy to keep cashing that B1G tv contract $$.

This kind of fits what your saying. I've been around both Dolson and Kraft. Dolson was a super nice guy and Kraft was kind of an A-hole. But in the job that is what you have to be. I think as long as QB is leading the BoT then Dolson and Woodson are safe for a little while.