Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU_FanClub

Scott Dolson

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well the football program just brought in two big transfers today. I don't want Allen here but like it or not he had one of the best two year stretch in OU football history.

By golly two transfers?!?! I take back everything I said about our 2-16 conference record.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

By golly two transfers?!?! I take back everything I said about our 2-16 conference record.

Give Allen an extension! (No, Dolson, that is not a suggestion.)

And 1 mil might sound like a lot for IUFB but there are programs dropping that on just a few players.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I don't think our amazing two year stretch would be considered anything but mediocre for OU football.

No it wouldn't but we have never been on that level. In my 52 years on this earth IU has had 12 seasons over .500

It seems like when something doesn't go well right away we always blame the coach or the athletic office.  Since RMK has been fired we have had 6 different basketball HC, 5 AD's, 3 University Presidents. None of the people that was involved with his firing is associated with the University. Maybe it is time to blame something else because we have made changes every where and it still doesn't solve the problem.  In all of this time only one set of people are the same and it is the fan base. Maybe it is time to look in the mirror and see the fans are part of the problem.

For me personally being an IU fan isn't as fun as it use to be. It has nothing to do what is happening on the court but off the court. With social media and message board every knuckle heads opinion can be heard and they come out of the wood work. I have no problem with critiquing the play or coaching but tired of all the people making it personal. Tired of wanting to fire the coach after 1 year and not being patient. If it were up to some fans Crean would have been gone after year 2 or 3 even though he started from scratch. I saw people wanting Archie fired after year 1. Now some want Woodson gone after a 1.5 years.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

No it wouldn't but we have never been on that level. In my 52 years on this earth IU has had 12 seasons over .500

It seems like when something doesn't go well right away we always blame the coach or the athletic office.  Since RMK has been fired we have had 6 different basketball HC, 5 AD's, 3 University Presidents. None of the people that was involved with his firing is associated with the University. Maybe it is time to blame something else because we have made changes every where and it still doesn't solve the problem.  In all of this time only one set of people are the same and it is the fan base. Maybe it is time to look in the mirror and see the fans are part of the problem.

For me personally being an IU fan isn't as fun as it use to be. It has nothing to do what is happening on the court but off the court. With social media and message board every knuckle heads opinion can be heard and they come out of the wood work. I have no problem with critiquing the play or coaching but tired of all the people making it personal. Tired of wanting to fire the coach after 1 year and not being patient. If it were up to some fans Crean would have been gone after year 2 or 3 even though he started from scratch. I saw people wanting Archie fired after year 1. Now some want Woodson gone after a 1.5 years.

It just shows how difficult it is to develop a long term successful program, especially in today's day.  Keep eyes on Duke and UNC and see where they are in a few years.  

53 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

It just shows how difficult it is to develop a long term successful program, especially in today's day.  Keep eyes on Duke and UNC and see where they are in a few years.  

UCLA has been looking for the perfect coach since Wooden left. 

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

UCLA has been looking for the perfect coach since Wooden left. 

Let's agree that UCLA hasn't been the same post-Wooden just like IU hasn't been the same post-Knight. I don't know the exact numbers but I would guess we'd be envious of UCLA's post-Wooden accomplishments when compared to IU's post-Knight "accomplishments."

We could always revert back to winning morality awards though.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Let's agree that UCLA hasn't been the same post-Wooden just like IU hasn't been the same post-Knight. I don't know the exact numbers but I would guess we'd be envious of UCLA's post-Wooden accomplishments when compared to IU's post-Knight "accomplishments."

We could always revert back to winning morality awards though.

The thing that s that they fired Howland after going to 3 straight final fours. I think programs need to check themselves and if going to 3 straight final fours then something is wrong

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing that s that they fired Howland after going to 3 straight final fours. I think programs need to check themselves and if going to 3 straight final fours then something is wrong

It's been a hot minute but you might want to look into why they fired Howland. It probably falls more in line with your thinking than you realize. I don't think it had a lot to do with ONLY going to 3 straight Final Fours.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Howland was at UCLA for 10 years and all 3 of those Final Fours were during the first 5 years. The second 5 years there, the winning percentage dropped as well as no NCAAT success: 1 year missed tournament and 1st or 2nd round loses the other 4 years.

Howland also seemed to lose the team's confidence and IIRC there were some major  transfers out of the program.

So it was those 5 years and the negative momentum of the program which got him canned, not that 3 Final Fours weren't good enough. 

8 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Howland was at UCLA for 10 years and all 3 of those Final Fours were during the first 5 years. The second 5 years there, the winning percentage dropped as well as no NCAAT success: 1 year missed tournament and 1st or 2nd round loses the other 4 years.

Howland also seemed to lose the team's confidence and IIRC there were some major  transfers out of the program.

So it was those 5 years and the negative momentum of the program which got him canned, not that 3 Final Fours weren't good enough. 

And now they are on stable footing. Not dominance, but right at the top.  And when they aren’t, they will make moves until they are back at the top.  It hasn’t been pretty at UCLA but it sure beats whatever IU has been doing. 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

And now they are on stable footing. Not dominance, but right at the top.  And when they aren’t, they will make moves until they are back at the top.  It hasn’t been pretty at UCLA but it sure beats whatever IU has been doing. 

They also have a more recent NC than IU and have been to multiple FF since IU's last one.

UCLA post HoF coach > IU post HoF coach

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So you don't enjoy IU basketball as much anymore because other people you don't know have different opinions than you? Sounds like a you problem.

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You choose to come to message boards. You can unfollow people who talk about sports on social media so you don't see their criticisms (or just not go social media sites). Plus, letting others' opinions bother you is also your choice. So if it's not as fun because of those things that's on you. 

This season and beyond is in trouble. This season was supposed to be the one that we made a play for a bigten championship, a deep run in the tourney, showed that veterans like TJD could be taught new skills and that we could help out a young talent like JHS in the draft.

if we accomplished the above, recruits would take notice and want to backfill those guys.

I don’t think we are accomplishing any of those this year which makes this season a dud and kills future momentum 

16 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

So you don't enjoy IU basketball as much anymore because other people you don't know have different opinions than you? Sounds like a you problem.

Scott wants IU fans to be satisfied with perpetual mediocrity and not raise a fuss about it. His “it’s the fans fault” take is asinine. The fanbase is the best, and only constant, thing the program has going for it. The fans still show up and show out even when the team routinely fails to do so. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Scott wants IU fans to be satisfied with perpetual mediocrity and not raise a fuss about it. His “it’s the fans fault” take is asinine. The fanbase is the best, and only constant, thing the program has going for it. The fans still show up and show out even when the team routinely fails to do so. 

Imagine how UK fans would be if they had our last 20 years...