Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - Thursday, 1/5/23 @ 9:00 on FS1

Especially the part about Malik being clueless. Early on he looked like he had great potential. Right now he looks like he’s in the cannabis matrix portal.
What the heck happened??

He’s was resorting to bully ball often late non-conference. That isn’t usually going to fly in the B1G when you don’t get the favored whistle and you like to shuffle those puppies all over the paint.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I believe it is just wishful thinking. And a few talking heads suggesting this. Many teams play with an interior big that doesn’t stretch. Purdue is a current example. Now, admittedly Race and Trayce together in the paint is a problem and Woody has tried to navigate this by letting Race shoot it. Problem is defense doesn’t respect him so not much changes.

Anyway, on to next year. We’ll just have to see. We still don’t have serious shooting threats although Bates and JHS might prove to be that. Guys that drive well in the half court? No one?

I promise Woody will try to find a serious post presence in the off season to replace what TJD tries to do defensively. Who knows if he will. Anyway, lots of questions, but pinning this on our most constant bucket/point getter who is also a willing passer is just another case of hopium.

The difference is when Purdue throws it into Edey the other players don't just stand but they move and cut. They also use Edey in some screening before he post up.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I believe it is just wishful thinking. And a few talking heads suggesting this. Many teams play with an interior big that doesn’t stretch. Purdue is a current example. Now, admittedly Race and Trayce together in the paint is a problem and Woody has tried to navigate this by letting Race shoot it. Problem is defense doesn’t respect him so not much changes.

Anyway, on to next year. We’ll just have to see. We still don’t have serious shooting threats although Bates and JHS might prove to be that. Guys that drive well in the half court? No one?

I promise Woody will try to find a serious post presence in the off season to replace what TJD tries to do defensively. Who knows if he will. Anyway, lots of questions, but pinning this on our most constant bucket/point getter who is also a willing passer is just another case of hopium.

Another way to look at it is that without TJD or some other skilled big on the inside there is no need for the defense to worry about that so they can stretch to put more pressure on the perimeter. In other words, without TJD it might be harder to get good looks from the perimeter. 

2 hours ago, Ryno6284 said:

I don't think it's crimson glasses at all.  Think about it, TJD is one dimensional and doesn't shoot outside of 6 ft.  It plugs up the lane and kills movement through it.  Now will we actually do it next year?  TBD, but we will have Banks, a shooter in Gunn, and Malik who can shoot from deep.

What's puzzling to me is that towards the end of last season it was crystal clear that the offense was much more effective when we were using TJD in the PnR game with XJ vs most of the season when it was post up TJD and everyone stand around. 

With XJ back and adding JHS, along with what I thought we learned at the end of last season, I thought the offense would be much more dynamic and perimeter oriented with using TJD like most NBA teams use their bigs (PnR, rim runs, etc). 

Very little of that had happened and it's pretty disappointing. 

13 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I would say the offense needed tweaking and the defense needed a major overhaul against Iowa.  

IU led 84-78 with two minutes left.  Scoring 5 points in the last two minutes should have been more than enough.

Yes, the defense was offensive in the Iowa game. This was geared more towards the season to date.

When you don't address issues with over helping, rebounding to close possessions, and getting beat on straight line drives against cupcake U they will become more evident against good teams (or bad conference teams).

15 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yeah.  It’s gets tiring knowing that if we lose that we can expect a long string of ‘I told you so’s’.

personally, I’d from company in my misery than salt in my wounds.

12 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not sure how -- in the least -- what I posted has anything to do with a 'victim mentality'. I stated what type of posts that I was tired of reading.  So what?  Sure as heck didn't say people needed to stop making them and 100% didn't call any poster out.

This, might not be your intention but it reads as an "Oh woe is me" because we were told how this year would be different, depth was a strength, leaders would emerge, etc. while attempting to explain and provide reasoning, once again, during the cupcake season as to why we would struggle.

1 hour ago, Whoozhers said:

Especially the part about Malik being clueless. Early on he looked like he had great potential. Right now he looks like he’s in the cannabis matrix portal.

What the heck happened??

He's just moving waaayyyy too fast and once the ball comes into him he never looks to kick it back out or look for cutters.  Currently he's in a bull in a china shop mode and is just looking to immediately back guys down.  Currently it is resulting in teams doubling him immediately and he turns it over.

21 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Currently we don't have much coming in though.  Newton and Cupps could be good future pieces but I don't see either playing a lot as freshman.  We have no 5* or bigs on the way as it stands.

So you don't think Cupps is as good as Smith from Purdue?

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He's just moving waaayyyy too fast and once the ball comes into him he never looks to kick it back out or look for cutters.  Currently he's in a bull in a china shop mode and is just looking to immediately back guys down.  Currently it is resulting in teams doubling him immediately and he turns it over.

Yep. As soon as he catches a pass I know there only only 2 ways it's coming out of his hands: a shot (which is usually a bad shot) or a turnover. 

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

His defense definitely was bad, but he wasn't the lone culprit.

He was the most glaring one though, by a pretty wide margin. Did you watch the clip on that link, it was really bad. 

7 minutes ago, J34 said:

So you don't think Cupps is as good as Smith from Purdue?

Individually, Cupps is probably better than Smith from the doodoo. Because it's a team sport and the doodoo's culture is light years ahead of ours I don't think Cupps will have the impact Smith does on a top Big 1.o team. That's not a knock on Cupps but where we are as a program. Also, if JHS is still around I doubt Cupps starts.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He was the most glaring one though, by a pretty wide margin. Did you watch the clip on that link, it was really bad. 

Which I thought he was playing pretty good defense at the end of last season. What happened to that team in the off-season?

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Which I thought he was playing pretty good defense at the end of last season. What happened to that team in the off-season?

I've always thought JG was a pretty bad perimeter defender, which is what defending Murray is. He's really strong typically on the block and as a weak side shot blocker, but he's always been rough on the perimeter. 

I think losing Phinisee and Stewart has hurt defensively as well. I don't love those guys as players, and think many fans overrated Phinisee, but no denying he was a phenomenal perimeter defender for IU. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We also haven't had XJ and JHS together really since really the UNC game. That's a pretty massive blow to our perimeter defense that i don't think should be minimized. 

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We also haven't had XJ and JHS together really since really the UNC game. That's a pretty massive blow to our perimeter defense that i don't think should be minimized. 

I thought the defensive tenacity in the UNC game was the best I have seen IU play in years.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought the defensive tenacity in the UNC game was the best I have seen IU play in years.

Agree, and when you remove JHS and/or XJ it makes a big difference. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Should we have that much of a drop off with Bates and Gallo filling in? That's on coaching and preparation. JG is in his junior year. Should he still be making freshman mistakes? We're missing something in our program.