Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - Thursday, 1/5/23 @ 9:00 on FS1

45 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Agree with this. I mentioned earlier that one of the reasons I like following the women's program is it just seems to come with a lot less drama. When that team loses a game, we can talk about it for what it is, a loss. It's not a referendum of the program and we don't have people ranting and raving about how the athletic department is failing us. 

Yeah.  It’s gets tiring knowing that if we lose that we can expect a long string of ‘I told you so’s’.

personally, I’d from company in my misery than salt in my wounds.

42 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yeah.  It’s gets tiring knowing that if we lose that we can expect a long string of ‘I told you so’s’.

personally, I’d from company in my misery than salt in my wounds.

It's a message board. It's back and forth from both sides. If we were a program on the rise or had tangible progress of individual/team it might be a different story. The defense has regressed while the offense still struggles and is too one dimensional committing the same mistakes year to year.

The victim mentality is predictable. I believe more fans saw/see it than want to admit. I'm not telling fans they can't live in the land of unicorns and rainbows but I'll continue to post what I see. Nobody forces others to participate in the back and forth.

22 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It's a message board. It's back and forth from both sides. If we were a program on the rise or had tangible progress of individual/team it might be a different story. The defense has regressed while the offense still struggles and is too one dimensional committing the same mistakes year to year.

The victim mentality is predictable. I believe more fans saw/see it than want to admit. I'm not telling fans they can't live in the land of unicorns and rainbows but I'll continue to post what I see. Nobody forces others to participate in the back and forth.

I don't think the offense struggles that much. Pretty sure I saw where we are 6th in country in shooting and 4tj in the big ten in 3 points shooting.  I agree defense is bad and that is why we lost last night. Really the Rutgers game is the only game where our offense was try awful.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think the offense struggles that much. Pretty sure I saw where we are 6th in country in shooting and 4tj in the big ten in 3 points shooting.  I agree defense is bad and that is why we lost last night. Really the Rutgers game is the only game where our offense was try awful.

Being 6th in the country in FG% is great, being 4th in the Big 1.o in 3PT% is good - 74 overall in 3PT%. These stats can help to winning games but let's break this down a bit more. 

A big reason we are 6th in the country in FG% is because we are focused on tossing the ball into the post to the majority of our points. This seems like a good strategy when you have a player like TJD. However, when you factor in that roughly half of these stats are playing sister of the poor university where their "big" is no really small those numbers are a bit skewed. When the game plan against us is stop TJD and opponents have the personnel to do it (see: Rutger, Arizona, and crucial points of the Iowa game quickly come to mind) that FG% significantly drops. I don't know TJDs or the teams FG% during those games but it can't be in the great category.

Part of trying to beat teams in the paint is getting fouled and converting at the line. If we could pair this with the inflated FG% we could compete. Let's take a look that those FT numbers. We are 220 of 363 teams at FT% (~70%). That's about the same as last season. It's not horrible but it's bad especially bad for how we play. Now, let's look at the amount of times we get to the line. we rank 282 of 363 teams in FTA. With how our offense is focused, that is absolutely horrible. If you're going to ground and pound to victory you have to get to the line more often than we have been. Why aren't we getting to the line more? It's easy to excuse it with Big 1.o officiating which I'm sure plays into it. The bigger issue is we're soft. We don't fight when we should. We don't go up strong.

Let's hypothetical this for a moment. If we were better and ranked in the 140s for FTA and shot the same % we'd have about 32 more points on the season. Imagine having a few more points/game that might be the difference between winning and losing a game. Bump up that % just slightly along with getting to the line more consistently and you're looking at us NOT getting punked in a few games and looking a bit more competent in those games.

Now, that 3PT%. Overall it's a solid percentage. We could work with it. However, % isn't the only factor here. Let's take a look at 3PA. IU ranks 335 of 363 teams in the quantity of three pointers we take. That.is.bad. That is not modern basketball. That's not going to win at a high level.

Again a hypothetical, we take a few less 2s and a few more 3s per game. We currently take about 18 3PA/game. That's EXTREMELY low. If we kept a similar % and shot a few more per game, we're adding almost 3 points per game. Again, I think making adjustment in just how we attack in the paint and getting a few more 3s up per game would add to our ability to win basketball games.

If numbers aren't your thing, look no further than when it mattered most in the Iowa game. Our offense stagnated and we looked to force it into TJD. When we couldn't get it into him we took bad shots. The defense was atrocious at times but we still could have won that game with a little tweaking to the offense or making a few more FTs.

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

If numbers aren't your thing, look no further than when it mattered most in the Iowa game. Our offense stagnated and we looked to force it into TJD. When we couldn't get it into him we took bad shots. The defense was atrocious at times but we still could have won that game with a little tweaking to the offense or making a few more FTs.

I would say the offense needed tweaking and the defense needed a major overhaul against Iowa.  

IU led 84-78 with two minutes left.  Scoring 5 points in the last two minutes should have been more than enough.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Not sure how -- in the least -- what I posted has anything to do with a 'victim mentality'. I stated what type of posts that I was tired of reading.  So what?  Sure as heck didn't say people needed to stop making them and 100% didn't call any poster out.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Boy if that’s not crimson colored glasses.  Let’s hope you are right. I’m not holding my breath. 

I don't think it's crimson glasses at all.  Think about it, TJD is one dimensional and doesn't shoot outside of 6 ft.  It plugs up the lane and kills movement through it.  Now will we actually do it next year?  TBD, but we will have Banks, a shooter in Gunn, and Malik who can shoot from deep.

I don't think it's crimson glasses at all.  Think about it, TJD is one dimensional and doesn't shoot outside of 6 ft.  It plugs up the lane and kills movement through it.  Now will we actually do it next year?  TBD, but we will have Banks, a shooter in Gunn, and Malik who can shoot from deep.
This game may be time for Woodson to try a entirely different game plan imo. If Trace doesn't play

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

Malik looks clueless out there and Banks/Gunn are freshmen who never see the floor. Next year’s team loses Xavier, TJD, and Race. Absent Woody having a field day in the transfer portal, there’s zero chance the offense is better next year. 

CJ Gunn is 2-16 from 3 this year. 12.5%. Calling him a shooter, let alone counting on him to be a big reason for our team being better after losing all the players we’re losing, is a gigantic reach. Woody can’t put together a good offense now. No reason to believe he’d put together a better one after losing his best offensive players.

38 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

It should change things but I am not so certain. We had the pick and roll working amazing for a 5 game period at the end of the year and then… nothing

it got TJD out of the lane, setting screens outside the free throw lane and it was working. We then abandoned it and went back to the clogged, stagnant game we see now.

we have a very capable point that can get to the rim, pull up from mid range and hit the 3. That coupled with a mobile big is perfect for that yet we don’t see it.

there are obvious things that we could, should do and we don’t so I don’t feel good about this staff doing anything better/different 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Malik looks clueless out there and Banks/Gunn are freshmen who never see the floor. Next year’s team loses Xavier, TJD, and Race. Absent Woody having a field day in the transfer portal, there’s zero chance the offense is better next year. 

CJ Gunn is 2-16 from 3 this year. 12.5%. Calling him a shooter, let alone counting on him to be a big reason for our team being better after losing all the players we’re losing, is a gigantic reach. Woody can’t put together a good offense now. No reason to believe he’d put together a better one after losing his best offensive players.

Also losing Kopp. So best case is "just"  losing 4 starters. With these injuries we've gotten some glimpses of what the team might look like next year and the results haven't inspired confidence in me. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Especially the part about Malik being clueless. Early on he looked like he had great potential. Right now he looks like he’s in the cannabis matrix portal.

What the heck happened??

1 minute ago, Whoozhers said:

Especially the part about Malik being clueless. Early on he looked like he had great potential. Right now he looks like he’s in the cannabis matrix portal.

What the heck happened??

The competition is better than early in the season. Also, more games to use for scouting reports on him. 

I believe it is just wishful thinking. And a few talking heads suggesting this. Many teams play with an interior big that doesn’t stretch. Purdue is a current example. Now, admittedly Race and Trayce together in the paint is a problem and Woody has tried to navigate this by letting Race shoot it. Problem is defense doesn’t respect him so not much changes.

Anyway, on to next year. We’ll just have to see. We still don’t have serious shooting threats although Bates and JHS might prove to be that. Guys that drive well in the half court? No one?

I promise Woody will try to find a serious post presence in the off season to replace what TJD tries to do defensively. Who knows if he will. Anyway, lots of questions, but pinning this on our most constant bucket/point getter who is also a willing passer is just another case of hopium.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

What the heck happened??

“Cannabis Matrix Portal”. Lol literally

Rooting hard for this kid. We’ve seen he has a skillset. It might not be this year but I hope it is.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app