Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Most depressing sports moment

What is your most depressing sports moment?

Mine actually came yesterday.  I am a life long Dolphins fan and 12 weeks into the season expectations were as high as they have been in 35+ years.  These last five weeks have taken a toll.  It’s to the point of not wanting to wear my dolphins gear in public in case it starts a conversation.  Tua’s concussions this year after it finally looked like we had our franchise qb…and now in a must win game in the last week with our only quarterback on the roster being healthy being third string rookie Skylar Thompson.  For me, it’s been worse than than the string of losses IU had when Miller was coaching became at least IU had a couple of nearly recent big ten titles.

High school: happened just a few weeks ago. My high school used to have a great basketball program. Now they're terrible and it just breaks my heart to see it. A team that had only beaten us once in the last 25 years overcame a double digit halftime deficit to beat us in our gym, and their 10-person student section started doing the "I believe that we just won" chant in the closing seconds. 

College: The end of the 2007-08 IU basketball season. I just remember feeling sad about how that season completely went down the tubes and thinking about how awful the next few years were going to be. 

Pros: Andrew Luck's retirement. It happened on a Saturday night, but I had gone to bed early because I was so exhausted from work that day and didn't find out about it until I saw the newspaper the next morning. The headline "Colts' Luck to Retire" jumped up off the page and smacked me. I'll never forget the combination of shock and fear that swept through me when I saw it. 

Honorable Mention: Purdue almost reaching the Final 4 several years ago. My uncle had died unexpectedly earlier in the month, and I had spent the past few weeks not just coming to grips with it, but cleaning out his house, planning the funeral, and having all the other difficult conversations that arise when that stuff happens. I always associate March Madness with spring, but on this night, it might as well have been mid-winter. It was dark and snowing like crazy, Purdue was on the cusp of a Final Four, and Archie Miller was our basketball coach. It just felt like the end of everything. I know they didn't make it, but that was the beginning of what turned out to be a very tough, very depressing year for me. 

9 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

High school: happened just a few weeks ago. My high school used to have a great basketball program. Now they're terrible and it just breaks my heart to see it. A team that had only beaten us once in the last 25 years overcame a double digit halftime deficit to beat us in our gym, and their 10-person student section started doing the "I believe that we just won" chant in the closing seconds. 

College: The end of the 2007-08 IU basketball season. I just remember feeling sad about how that season completely went down the tubes and thinking about how awful the next few years were going to be. 

Pros: Andrew Luck's retirement. It happened on a Saturday night, but I had gone to bed early because I was so exhausted from work that day and didn't find out about it until I saw the newspaper the next morning. The headline "Colts' Luck to Retire" jumped up off the page and smacked me. I'll never forget the combination of shock and fear that swept through me when I saw it. 

Honorable Mention: Purdue almost reaching the Final 4 several years ago. My uncle had died unexpectedly earlier in the month, and I had spent the past few weeks not just coming to grips with it, but cleaning out his house, planning the funeral, and having all the other difficult conversations that arise when that stuff happens. I always associate March Madness with spring, but on this night, it might as well have been mid-winter. It was dark and snowing like crazy, Purdue was on the cusp of a Final Four, and Archie Miller was our basketball coach. It just felt like the end of everything. I know they didn't make it, but that was the beginning of what turned out to be a very tough, very depressing year for me. 

I was at the preseason game when the fans booed Luck after his retirement leaked.  Sad moment.

Growing up in Cleveland and watching any of the three playoff losses by the Browns to the Raiders and the Broncos. Red Right 88, the Drive and the fumble. Elway was in his prime in the late 80's.

Being a die hard White Sox fan for 50 years is depressing in its own right, but it peaked last year when i finally accepted what many sox fans have realized for years….the ownership doesn’t give a rats @$$ about the fan base.

Tough question - bc being a fan is rough. Getting all wrapped up in wanting a team of college kids (or even pros) to win and feeling let down when they — college kids (of a college you graduated from like decades ago) you don’t even know in a game you have zero control over is just so ridiculous— and yet here I am.

For me it was the 2002 Finals loss — bc it was so close, like getting to the finish line and falling just bf you cross it, MD’s 22-8 run, beating heavily favored Duke (my neighbor lost a bet and had to hit the bars in an IU cheerleader costume) and Okla, but falling short.
Really wanted to feel that thing again I did in 88 - and for the younger guys here and the students

When Jerry ******* Dybzinski got picked off second base against the Orioles, wasting the last great performance of Britt Burns’s career, in game four, with an absolutely unhittable Lamar Hoyt rested and ready for game five.

And then Santana went yard.

There’s one poster on this board that will truly understand.

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

When Jerry ******* Dybzinski got picked off second base against the Orioles, wasting the last great performance of Britt Burns’s career, in game four, with an absolutely unhittable Lamar Hoyt rested and ready for game five.

And then Santana  Landrum went yard.

Fixed it for you.

Grew up in Indiana, right outside Chicago. My dad was a big White Sox fan, though I was more  of a Cubs fan. Watched a ton of Chisox games growing up, including every one of that series. Dybzinski was more bow-legged than any cowboy! 

I forgot a big one.  I was keeping scorebook for the high school where I teach at about thirty years ago when a 16 year old player that was back pedaling suddenly locked up and fell backward and went down hard.  Turned out he had a massive seizure.  Court was cleared, game stopped.  He died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And then Santana went yard.

It was Tito Landrum that went yard, i still see the flight of the ball in my nightmares