Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ebridges24

Xavier and Race

2 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Why is everyone so skeptical of X getting the waiver? From what I understand he has met all of the requirements. What am I missing?

Everyone?  Met all of the requirements?

14 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

IIRC he played more than 30% of the games, so he doesn't meet all requirements.

X participated in 11 games but only 8 of those games are considered qualifying games. The 3 games of the Hoosier Classic are exempted in the calculation for medical hardship. X would have had to participate in 9 qualifying games this season to exceed the 30% threshold (8/28 = 28.57%, 9/28 = 32.14%).

2 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

X participated in 11 games but only 8 of those games are considered qualifying games. The 3 games of the Hoosier Classic are exempted in the calculation for medical hardship. X would have had to participate in 9 qualifying games this season to exceed the 30% threshold (8/28 = 28.57%, 9/28 = 32.14%).

Woah…not doubting you, but where’d you read that? That would be a major development on the waiver front. 

7 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Interested Keep Talking GIF - Interested Keep Talking Go Ahead GIFs

18 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

That by law says no more than 3 contests per institution.

According to Bylaw 17.4.5.1 every Division 1 NCAA Men's basketball team is limited to one of the following:

• 29 games; or
  • 29 games and one "regular-season multiple-team event...that does not exceed two contests per team"; or
  • 28 games and one "regular-season multiple-team event...that does not exceed three contests per team".

The Hoosier Classic was a "regular-season multiple-team event...that does not exceed three contests per team" and the games played are considered to be part of the NCAA Bylaw 17 annual exemptions. 

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

That by law says no more than 3 contests per institution.

It says no more than 3 contests per team. Miami (OH) played 3 games, Little Rock played 3 games, Jackson State played 3 games, IU played 3 games. No team played more than 3 games.

4 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

It is in the NCAA Hardship Waiver Application. The games that are excluded under Bylaw 17 are not included in the numerator or denominator of the calculation. The Hoosier Classic qualifies as a Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event under Bylaw 17.4.5.1.1.

Bylaw 17.4.5.1.1

17.4.5.1.1 Qualifying Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event -- Men's Basketball. In men's basketball, a qualifying regular-season multiple-team event is one in which: (Adopted: 4/30/20 effective 8/1/20 a contract signed before June 26, 2019 may be honored)

(a) The event is sponsored by the NCAA, an active member or a member conference of the Association or the National Association of Basketball Coaches;

(b) The event includes not more than three contests per institution. An event in which each institution participates in three contests must conclude not later than 10 days after the first contest of the event. An event in which each institution participates in two contests must conclude not later than five days after the first contest of the event;

(c) Participation is limited, by conference, to one team per conference and, by institution, to not more than once in the same event in any four-year period;

(d) Each participating institution is using the same applicable option [Bylaw 17.4.5.1-(a) or (b)] as its maximum contest limitation for the playing season in which it participates in the event;

(e) Each participating institution must participate in the same number of contests in the event; and

(f) The event may include a non-Division I institution as a participant only if the non-Division I institution serves as the host of the event.

The Hoosier Classic for IUBB: a game in Indianapolis vs  Miami (OH) in Gainbridge Fieldhouse on Nov. 20. The Hoosiers hosted Little Rock on Nov. 23 and Jackson State on Nov. 25.

Under these guidelines it appears to me that this is a "Qualifying Event":

1. It is sponsored by a member institution
  2. Each team played in the same, three, number of games, each within a ten day period
  3. There was only one team from any conference

What am I missing here?

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Bylaw 17.4.5.1.1

17.4.5.1.1 Qualifying Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event -- Men's Basketball. In men's basketball, a qualifying regular-season multiple-team event is one in which: (Adopted: 4/30/20 effective 8/1/20 a contract signed before June 26, 2019 may be honored)

(a) The event is sponsored by the NCAA, an active member or a member conference of the Association or the National Association of Basketball Coaches;

(b) The event includes not more than three contests per institution. An event in which each institution participates in three contests must conclude not later than 10 days after the first contest of the event. An event in which each institution participates in two contests must conclude not later than five days after the first contest of the event;

(c) Participation is limited, by conference, to one team per conference and, by institution, to not more than once in the same event in any four-year period;

(d) Each participating institution is using the same applicable option [Bylaw 17.4.5.1-(a) or (b)] as its maximum contest limitation for the playing season in which it participates in the event;

(e) Each participating institution must participate in the same number of contests in the event; and

(f) The event may include a non-Division I institution as a participant only if the non-Division I institution serves as the host of the event.

The Hoosier Classic for IUBB: a game in Indianapolis vs  Miami (OH) in Gainbridge Fieldhouse on Nov. 20. The Hoosiers hosted Little Rock on Nov. 23 and Jackson State on Nov. 25.

Under these guidelines it appears to me that this is a "Qualifying Event":

1. It is sponsored by a member institution
  2. Each team played in the same, three, number of games, each within a ten day period
  3. There was only one team from any conference

What am I missing here?

I don't think that you are missing anything. The Hoosier Classic qualifies as a Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event and is thus exempt from the calculation for medical hardship.

On 3/5/2023 at 2:26 PM, Hovadipo said:

X completely skipping senior day activities makes me think they feel pretty confident about his waiver.

I went from “oh hell yeah X is back” yesterday to “hang on these numbers aren’t lining up” late yesterday to “they gotta know/feel good about something” today. I’ll be sure to keep you all updated on my next feeling. 

WE’RE BACK BABY GIMME THAT SWEET, SWEET WAIVER

Just now, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I don't think that you are missing anything. The Hoosier Classic qualifies as a Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event and is thus exempt from the calculation for medical hardship.

So we agree that the event qualifies as a multi-team event. Where does it say that a multi-team event is exempt from the medical hardship calculation?

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

So we agree that the event qualifies as a multi-team event. Where does it say that a multi-team event is exempt from the medical hardship calculation?

It is in the medical hardship waiver application. When you are completing the application, it instructs you to "Exclude preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages that do not count toward the use of a season of competition as well as Bylaw 17 annual exemptions, except for the conference championship and other postseason competition which must be counted." If X would have played in the Big Ten Tournament, I believe that would have had to be counted and would have put him over the 30% threshold.

Just now, BleedCubbieBlue said:

It is in the medical hardship waiver application. When you are completing the application, it instructs you to "Exclude preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages that do not count toward the use of a season of competition as well as Bylaw 17 annual exemptions, except for the conference championship and other postseason competition which must be counted." If X would have played in the Big Ten Tournament, I believe that would have had to be counted and would have put him over the 30% threshold.

Well ****, that is informative, verifiable, and ...

EXCELLENT!!!!

Doesn't make me like the Cubbies any more, but thanks!

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well ****, that is informative, verifiable, and ...

EXCELLENT!!!!

Doesn't make me like the Cubbies any more, but thanks!

Us Cardinal fans have known this for weeks, glad the Cubs fans finally figured it out. Not really