Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ebridges24

Xavier and Race

2 hours ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Last year's portal has 30+ guys who this year averaged 10+ ppg and 3/4+ apg or rpg. Many in there averaging 15+, I stopped counting after 30 on this page: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Basketball/TransferPortalTop/

If you can find two bigs who average 12-14 ppg and 8-10 rpg, I think that can be a competitive team. 

Add a 3 and D kind of wing player and I think we can be in a similar position to this year or better. 

Still too many variables to say anything with great confidence yet.

Kinda what I'm saying.  You're looking to replace 1 guy (TJD), with 2. 

57 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I have no idea why people are assuming that X will be given a medical redshirt.  Not likely he meets the 30% criteria and he’s already played 5 years.

Did you read this thread?

21 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

Did you read this thread?

Every post?  No.  But that doesn't answer my question.

EDIT:  Just read the post where it said that Xavier would be applying for a redshirt.  But I'm still not totally convinced he'll get it.  Hope he does.

Would add that his current “fifth year” is the extra COVID year, so it’s not a normal sixth year situation, and he only played 18 games his third/last year at Pitt. That was not really his choice, and the NCAA has sometimes had leniency in that kind of case

25 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Every post?  No.  But that doesn't answer my question.

EDIT:  Just read the post where it said that Xavier would be applying for a redshirt.  But I'm still not totally convinced he'll get it.  Hope he does.

I’m hopeful but not all that convinced either. 

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Kinda what I'm saying.  You're looking to replace 1 guy (TJD), with 2. 

Fair enough, no TJD is going to walk through that transfer portal door.

But, when you look at UNC - when they had Brady Manek, they got hot at the right time and made a run to the championship game. With Nance, in the same transfer big type of role, they missed the tournament. Which is what I'm saying when I mean if we get the right fit/quality bigs, I could see us having a competitive team. 

We'll see. I'm just glad we've still got some of this season left in front of us! 

48 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

X completely skipping senior day activities makes me think they feel pretty confident about his waiver.

I went from “oh hell yeah X is back” yesterday to “hang on these numbers aren’t lining up” late yesterday to “they gotta know/feel good about something” today. I’ll be sure to keep you all updated on my next feeling. 

EEEC3DF0-016D-4BEF-B09D-37C51D4B0EF0.jpeg

1 hour ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Fair enough, no TJD is going to walk through that transfer portal door.

But, when you look at UNC - when they had Brady Manek, they got hot at the right time and made a run to the championship game. With Nance, in the same transfer big type of role, they missed the tournament. Which is what I'm saying when I mean if we get the right fit/quality bigs, I could see us having a competitive team. 

We'll see. I'm just glad we've still got some of this season left in front of us! 

Sure next years team will be next years team. Different but hopefully still dominant. :)

Since Johnson is over the 30% of games played threshold this season, it's not guaranteed he'll be granted a waiver. He ended up playing in 11 of 35 games (I don't know if all of the postseason games count or not) which is 31.6%. Regular season only it's 11 of 31 (35.4%) or if the 1st game of the B1G tournament counted since they are guaranteed to play at least one there, then 11 of 32 for 34.3%.

This lady just got denied. She did play 2 more games  and her team played 3 less games (32) so it's not exactly the same but it does show that the NCAA doesn't rubber stamp this waiver.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2023/03/ncaa-denies-stephanie-soares-waiver-to-return-for-extra-year/

Hopefully, we hear soon one way or another of their decision. IU probably filed as soon as they could, which was after Selection Sunday.

6 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Since Johnson is over the 30% of games played threshold this season, it's not guaranteed he'll be granted a waiver. He ended up playing in 11 of 35 games (I don't know if all of the postseason games count or not) which is 31.6%. Regular season only it's 11 of 31 (35.4%) or if the 1st game of the B1G tournament counted since they are guaranteed to play at least one there, then 11 of 32 for 34.3%.

This lady just got denied. She did play 2 more games  and her team played 3 less games (32) so it's not exactly the same but it does show that the NCAA doesn't rubber stamp this waiver.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2023/03/ncaa-denies-stephanie-soares-waiver-to-return-for-extra-year/

Hopefully, we hear soon one way or another of their decision. IU probably filed as soon as they could, which was after Selection Sunday.

Can't get much out of the story for the NCAA's reasons but maybe it had to do with "international experience during the off-season".  Maybe NCAA deemed it as professional basketball.  Pure speculation on my part and I really don't care as long as we get a waiver for X.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Can't get much out of the story for the NCAA's reasons but maybe it had to do with "international experience during the off-season".  Maybe NCAA deemed it as professional basketball.  Pure speculation on my part and I really don't care as long as we get a waiver for X.

Right. There's a lot of difference there but I was just pointing out that it isn't a sure thing like it would be if he had played in 2 fewer games. The NCAA can, and does, deny waivers. And just like with everything else the NCAA does, they do it inconsistently.