Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ebridges24

Xavier and Race

18 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I'm not as pessimistic about that.  Love X, but he does have the ability to take us out of games as well.  JHS is going to continue to get better.  Losing him last year would have been disastrous....this year we have options.  

Would guess Galloway moves into the starting lineup and backs up JHS at the point.  More minutes for Bates.And if the injury had to occur, the timing could have been much worse.  Coming up on games with Elon and Kennesaw State and then a week and a half break gives time to adjust to roles.

I wod start Bates and keep Galloway coming off the bench to backup point giardy

"Well, right now, we're still evaluating him," Woodson said. "He's kind of day-to-day, just to to kind of see where he is right now. I think we'll know more -- probably won't play [Tuesday night against Elon] -- so we'll know more probably Wednesday to see exactly where we are with him."

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Indiana-basketball-Mike-Woodson-updates-Xavier-Johnsons-injury-200921112/
Lol this take is alot more promising then what the posters on here took away from what he was saying.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Lol this take is alot more promising then what the posters on here took away from what he was saying.

Read the full article. It even mentions extended time.

We’re not taking away anything different…simply using CMW exact quotes. Doesn’t sound promising. 

6 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

That part was, but Woodson followed that up with a much more pessimistic quote.  

“We’ll wait on X if he ever gets the chance to come back based on where he is right now, and we’ll know more Wednesday," Woodson said. "We'll take him back, but right now we've got to move forward with what we've got and give other guys an opportunity to play."

Part of the reason I'm a little more optimistic is that although our ceiling is definitely higher with X, when he's off it throws everything ff.

In the last four games (Rutgers loss, Nebraska win, Arizona loss, Kansas loss) he has been horrible:

7 of 34 from the field, 2 of 12 from three, 1.3 rebounds per game, 17 turnovers.  When he's on -- like against Xavier and UNC -- we play well.  But for the past two years we've kind of been a team that tended to rise and fall when X rose and fell.  We might be traded a ceiling and a floor for consistency. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Part of the reason I'm a little more optimistic is that although our ceiling is definitely higher with X, when he's off it throws everything ff.

In the last four games (Rutgers loss, Nebraska win, Arizona loss, Kansas loss) he has been horrible:

7 of 34 from the field, 2 of 12 from three, 1.3 rebounds per game, 17 turnovers.  When he's on -- like against Xavier and UNC -- we play well.  But for the past two years we've kind of been a team that tended to rise and fall when X rose and fell.  We might be traded a ceiling and a floor for consistency. 

Honestly this is where I’m at. If JHS were to step up and be consistent we are trading ceiling for Floor. I think Woodson should go JHS Bates Galloway TJD Race. Honestly, It’s time for Geronimo to put up. If he steps up like he did vS Wyoming I think IU could be fine. If he continues this horrendous play… Then I think he needs to be buried on the bench and give Gunn/Banks his minutes

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Before JHS had the back issue, XJ and JHS had found a groove playing together. His play recently has been without JHS in the backcourt with him. The JHS we saw against Kansas was not the pre injury version. I think he will get back there baring a reinjury. The bottom line for me is we will not reach our potential without XJ.

Hope X is able to come back sooner rather than later. However, I plan on him being out for a good part of B1G season. For me, time for Tamar Bates to step up. Was a top 30 recruit out of high school. Was also a top pick for breakout player of the year. He's had his ups and downs. Need him to be consistent. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Hope X is able to come back sooner rather than later. However, I plan on him being out for a good part of B1G season. For me, time for Tamar Bates to step up. Was a top 30 recruit out of high school. Was also a top pick for breakout player of the year. He's had his ups and downs. Need him to be consistent. 

Absolutely. We have guys on the bench who have been underperforming against better teams. It's time for them to step up. We either have a dependable bench or we don't. Guess we are about to find out. On a side note, depending on how the rest of the season goes, CMW may be looking at a significant retooling of the roster.

26 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

At this point, Tamar Bate’s high school ranking is meaningless.

24 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

At this point, Tamar Bate’s high school ranking is meaningless.

They're all meaningless once they step foot on the court. What I'm trying to say is many of us had high expectations for him. Not calling him a bust, but it's time for him to step up. 

45 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Absolutely. We have guys on the bench who have been underperforming against better teams. It's time for them to step up. We either have a dependable bench or we don't. Guess we are about to find out. On a side note, depending on how the rest of the season goes, CMW may be looking at a significant retooling of the roster.

Yep. I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet. For me, the most telling game of this season will be at Iowa in a few weeks. Lots of time off for the guys to adjust to new roles and what not. Plus, Iowa is a solid team. If IU can win that game, I feel good about this team going forward. If not, they are probably a .500 team in the B1G. 

7 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Not calling him a bust, but it's time for him to step up. 

Completely agree. It’s still too early to call him a bust…but we can’t pretend he hasn’t been a disappointment so far. If Bates was the player many thought he would be at this point, an injury to a person like X would soften the blow…but Bates simply isn’t.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Before the Kansas game in his last 7 he was shooting 50% from 3... 23mpg 11p 2r

The previous 5 he was avg 12p 3r 2a. 

Idk just my thoughts. 

This is correct. Let all hope he continues to be consistent. He’ll certainly have opportunities.