Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier2

How far away is IUBB from being elite again?

There is big news for IU men’s basketball tonight.  With a huge win over Elon IU men’s basketball will again gain national prominence in the Elite status of the college men’s basketball world…to IU men’s basketball fans.

Just now, TTT said:

There is big news for IU men’s basketball tonight.  With a huge win over Elon IU men’s basketball will again gain national prominence in the Elite status of the college men’s basketball world…to IU men’s basketball fans.

Exaggerate much

27 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Those GameDay pamphlets are pretty cool though. Those are small things. Things Indiana could absolutely do. But GameDay experience isn't part of the agenda. The game should be a massive event. Last game I went to, it was closer to going to a varsity HS game rather than a men's Big Ten matchup. 

I thought you young folks where supposed to be stewards of the environment and such. A pamphlet like that is an environmental disaster.  For every one that gets used, I’ll bet 100 end up in the trash.  Aren’t the young folks all digital and online anyway?  

19 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I thought you young folks where supposed to be stewards of the environment and such. A pamphlet like that is an environmental disaster.  For every one that gets used, I’ll bet 100 end up in the trash.  Aren’t the young folks all digital and online anyway?  

I am just amazed we are talking clothing and programs as it pertains to being an elite program.  And here I thought it was just sustained winning.

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Put em in bio degradable paper or whatever. Just remember to wrap them in plastic. 

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I am just amazed we are talking clothing and programs as it pertains to being an elite program.  And here I thought it was just sustained winning.

I hope that people don't think this is the main reason we aren't winning games...but I don't think anyone is actually saying that. I do however think there may be a valid case to be made that this is one of many examples of how we have fallen behind the programs that are actually Elite in college basketball today. And like many other things, this possibly gives us one less recruiting tool for the recruits we need to get us back to winning games and being Elite. The kids care, and if they care, so should our program. 

When you are actually Elite and leading the pack, you can choose the direction and set the trend...unfortunately, many feel that we are several cars back in the carpool and have to follow to either catchup, or get left behind. I still don't know truly how far we are behind in this arena. 

But yeah, well, that's just like, my opinion, man (favorite movie).

I am amazed at how close to insanity this fan base is getting, lol. Take a shot of your favorite bourbon, shotgun a beer, take a hit, or whatever mellows you out and calm down, jeez. Who really thought this team would be world killers before the season? Who really thought this team could contend for a Natty? Please tell me we didn't fall for the  preseason media hype again?

Oh and in regards to the 1/4 zip swag, I have an Adidas IU 1/4 zip, probably going to wear it tonight to the game, and I just googled them and there are 5 IU Adidas 1/4 zips in the top 7 results all different kinds as well and even on the bookstore site. 

1 hour ago, Rico said:

It's not that those are the cause by any means. It's more of death by a thousand cuts. There are a bunch of small things that other schools which have been better than IU recently are doing that IU isn't. These all add up to make those schools more attractive to top recruits, in addition to them winning more often than IU. It just makes the path back to the top that much harder.

Just now, go iu bb said:

It's not that those are the cause by any means. It's more of death by a thousand cuts. There are a bunch of small things that other schools which have been better than IU recently are doing that IU isn't. These all add up to make those schools more attractive to top recruits, in addition to them winning more often than IU. It just makes the path back to the top that much harder.

Yeah, the small things like hitting 3s at a consistent pace.  Players play.  The rest is a side show.  

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Thinking about this question more I look at the big ten and don't see any elite programs right now.  I think the first thing that needs to happen to get back to being elite is for the big ten to change their style of play.  I feel the big ten and IU for that matter can't get enough elite talent to be elite because those players don't want to pay in the big ten.

I think this is an important point that is completely overlooked by the Uniform/swag/gameday side show.  And I think that Woody's idea of seemingly playing an "NBA style" offense if successful in the Big 10 might help change that as others will copy.  One can hope, right?  

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Yeah, the small things like hitting 3s at a consistent pace.  Players play.  The rest is a side show.  

But, but, but, you got to dress good to play good.  We get some better uniforms and those 3 balls will start dropping.

1 minute ago, Rico said:

But, but, but, you got to dress good to play good.  We get some better uniforms and those 3 balls will start dropping.

Not trying to be cheeky. But by this comment, do you agree then that IU should do the things that Elite level recruits want, to attract them here, to improve our roster and have a team that can knock down those 3 balls? If the talent level we currently have on our roster isn't getting it done, what can we do to bring in better talent? 

I think that is the point people are trying to make...It is basic recruiting at any level in, any industry...You do everything you can to recruit elite talent and ensure you are competing with or exceeding your competition. If they are doing something that is allowing them to be more attractive, you better darn sure jump on the wagon. 

3 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Not trying to be cheeky. But by this comment, do you agree then that IU should do the things that Elite level recruits want, to attract them here, to improve our roster and have a team that can knock down those 3 balls? If the talent level we currently have on our roster isn't getting it done, what can we do to bring in better talent? 

I think that is the point people are trying to make...It is basic recruiting at any level in, any industry...You do everything you can to recruit elite talent and ensure you are competing with or exceeding your competition. If they are doing something that is allowing them to be more attractive, you better darn sure jump on the wagon. 

The point I am trying to make is that you come to IU to play basketball, not to participate in a fashion show.

In any business, if your competitors are attracting more customers than you, you find out what they're doing and try to do it better than them. 

IU has rarely, if ever, had this mentality. IU wants to do what IU does, the hell with everyone else. 

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

The point I am trying to make is that you come to IU to play basketball, not to participate in a fashion show.

I hear you, but with NIL, Social Media, etc....I just don't think its that simple anymore. The other stuff matters more now than it ever has. The landscape of major college sports has changed and is continuing to change. You can dig your heels in and get left behind, or adapt. 

I think I should change the topic from “how far is Indiana away from being an elite program” to “how out of touch with reality is the older fan base with what’s required to be elite”….  Can anyone in here name one thing where Indiana was the market leader in innovation, execution for anything surrounding the program?