Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier2

How far away is IUBB from being elite again?

He wouldn't either because he can't shoot putsidenof 3 feet. He had the big numbers but he isn't close to he ad good as a Allan Henderson. Henderson could hit the 3 and was deadly from 15 feet.
I think that was kind of his point. Another program would have developed his skills enough to be in the NBA

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

We may actually be better next year because our best player won't be a center. IU's best teams have had good centers surrounded by good wings and guards. We don't have that right now. TJD might as well be playing one on three the way this team is constructed. Wings and guards who can hit the three and attack the paint would change everything. Now, it's CMW job to get the players we need to be a better balanced team. If he fails to do that, we'll be looking for a new coach sooner than later. He's been around long enough that I think he knows that.

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Twitter.   DD took a shot at Woodson and his daughter didn’t like it and responded.   Par the course for DD.    Nobody eats their own like IU 

So sad what Dakich has become. Wish I knew what happened to him.

21 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Twitter.   DD took a shot at Woodson and his daughter didn’t like it and responded.   Par the course for DD.    Nobody eats their own like IU 

He looks bad, she looks bad, and the people in her mentions are…complete goofballs. 

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Most probably thought at this point of the season we would be 9-2 so we might be a little behind but not much.  I don't like how we played against Rutgers and KU but it is not the end of the world.

As for being elite we need to get better on the wing. We need more athletic guys around 6'6 or 6'7 to play on the wing. To me you don't need to have your best Ayers being interior players. You need your big guys to do the dirty work and do all the small things that leads to winning. 

We also need to recruit guys that aus with an attitude and have a little nasty streak in them.

I like Kopp but the guy needs to come off the bench instead of start.  Maybe start Bates in his place.  The reason I say this, how many wide open looks has he had to start a game like he had tonight in the corner?  If he knocks that down, it probably changes the outcome of the start of the game.  That maybe said for Race starting too!

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

He looks bad, she looks bad, and the people in her mentions are…complete goofballs. 

Twitter is more often than not the low road. Sometimes good people get sucked into an exchange that no one wins. It's kinda the wrestling with a pig thing.

30 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I like Kopp but the guy needs to come off the bench instead of start.  Maybe start Bates in his place.  The reason I say this, how many wide open looks has he had to start a game like he had tonight in the corner?  If he knocks that down, it probably changes the outcome of the start of the game.  That maybe said for Race starting too!

Bates is a marginal shooter who is a walking turnover and has a low IQ on defense. Starting him isn’t going to solve our problems.

He wouldn't either because he can't shoot putsidenof 3 feet. He had the big numbers but he isn't close to he ad good as a Allan Henderson. Henderson could hit the 3 and was deadly from 15 feet.

Please read again, we’re not talking about TJD at IU. We’re talking about TJD at an elite program with a system in place. When you’re not pushed or forced in TJDs case you don’t develop to your potential.

TJD is comfortable and accepted at IU. He gets his stats, mostly on bad teams, and is good with that. He’s a great young man but he hasn’t been forced to be more than who he has been. Therefore, he hasn’t developed and he’s still playing college ball on a good but not great team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don’t mean to pour cold water on this discussion, but even after getting thumped today, IU is 17th in Kenpom, which is the 2nd highest B1G team.
Assuming health, they may not play worse in a 15 day stretch all year.
I’m not making the claim the program is currently elite. But I think the margin between “good but frustrating” and “elite” is pretty thin. Ask UNC. IU has spent too much time toeing the line for most of 3 decades.
It really can come down to small differences. E.g. if IU played well and won today, people would be saying stuff like “with JHS, IU is a sleeper title contender” or whatever.
And what if they feel off a few in a row and host PU at 18-3 (9-1) on 2/4?

We must have very different definitions of elite programs which is different than elite teams. When was the last time IU put back to back almost elite seasons together?

IU has had the binoculars out searching for the line a few times but we’ve been nowhere close to toeing the line of elite status in the past three decades.

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We must have very different definitions of elite programs which is different than elite teams. When was the last time IU put back to back almost elite seasons together?

IU has had the binoculars out searching for the line a few times but we’ve been nowhere close to toeing the line of elite status in the past three decades.

Add in the fact that Xavier Johnson will likely miss significant time..I don't see them being a top two team in the Big Ten after that. I don't want to be negative at all, but that's the truth. Jalen is awesome but who else is going to step up? Tamar can't play Jackson State every game. 

I agree with you. Indiana is a good team this year. But not elite. I thought after Xavier and UNC they could be. Rutgers, Arizona, and Kansas proves otherwise. Take Tennessee and Arizona game currently going on. No matter who wins those are two elite teams. It's a competitive game. Elite teams don't get spanked three teams in a two week span. I could maybe understand once. But it's alarming now. 

9 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Genuinely curious as to how far away IU is to being elite consistently again?  Are we close or far? And what changes need to happen to get there?  

Side note- Kansas’ uniforms looked great today… ours are so dumpy. That needs to change 

Yeah that’s it. It’s the uniforms.  Oh, and the cheerleader outfits.  Come on man. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Love me some Alan Henderson. 

13 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Yeah that’s it. It’s the uniforms.  Oh, and the cheerleader outfits.  Come on man. 

Not saying better uniforms beats Kansas today… saying IU taking care of the small things like uniforms is anecdotal to how elite programs are run… fix uniforms and we get better recruits? Maybe 18yr old kids esp those that are under privileged like myself at that age, free SWAG was a huge deal.

do you disagree? 

6 hours ago, lillurk said:

I don’t mean to pour cold water on this discussion, but even after getting thumped today, IU is 17th in Kenpom, which is the 2nd highest B1G team.

I’m not making the claim the program is currently elite. But I think the margin between “good but frustrating” and “elite” is pretty thin. Ask UNC. IU has spent too much time toeing the line for most of 3 decades.

It really can come down to small differences. E.g. if IU played well and won today, people would be saying stuff like “with JHS, IU is a sleeper title contender” or whatever.

We've spent too much time bouncing between "good but frustrating" and "just bad", forget elite.

7 hours ago, cthomas said:

So sad what Dakich has become. Wish I knew what happened to him.

Dakich hardly took a shot at him. The core of the message? WOODY NEEDS TO GET TO COACHING. And I'd agree. Time to start like your job is on the line. Time to start grilling kids. Time to make changes. Change the starting lineup, change the roatstion, change the offense. Somehow gotta get it threw these dudes heads that they gotta play together and for each other. Cause right now, most don't seem to care at all. We were supposed to be this great defensive team, that hasn't shown. Xavier put up 79, Arizona put up 89, Kansas 84. Thankfully Rutgers can't play offense either or they could have hung 90 on us. Time for dudes to step up, others to sit down and for Woody to start coaching. 

7 hours ago, lillurk said:

I’ll throw some cold water on your post then…lol.  

We’re 17th. In the next 18 spots (18-35) the SEVEN B1G teams we’ll be jockeying with for a tourney birth appear.  

Wisconsin (who easily could’ve beat Kansas), at 35th with an adjEM of +16.5, is closer to ours at 20.3 than we are to Purdue at 25.2. Those 7 teams do not even include Michigan State who is lurking at 39th with an adjEM of 15.8. So unless you think the B1G is getting 9 or 10 teams in the tourney, we’re closer to being out of the tourney than we are to beating Purdue for the Big Ten title…again, according to Kenpom.   

I don’t want to say our rating is a bit inflated, but I definitely think 29th in offensive efficiency might be a tad misleading. We’re pretty good at putting up a ton of points against bad defenses. And we’ve played A LOT of bad defenses. But we are very bad at scoring against good defenses—even worse than our ranking would indicate, imo.  

There are a few very good defenses in the B1G but our final positioning might be predicated on how well we can score against the 30th to 50ish ranked defenses. I.e the MSUs and Marylands of the conference.  

Our 23rd ranked defense has mostly been shredded away from Assembly Hall by top offenses, but that’s a different story.  

Bottom line: you’d have to give me pretty good odds to bet IU at 2nd place or higher in conference.