Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Game Thread: IUBB at Kansas Sat 12/17/22 Noon ESPN2

Little anecdote from yesterday…after starting lineups and while waiting for TV to give the go-ahead for tipoff, they played this scene on the video board. Granny drops the hammer on the guy from Indiana and the entire gym goes friggin’ BANANAS. I’ve only seen a crowd like that in Assembly Hall, personally. Wife and I and the IU fans around us were all dying laughing; just an excellent moment.

Kudos again to KU for being awesome hosts and being the only gym I’ve been in that can be mentioned in the same breath as AH. If you have the chance, make the trip. You won’t regret it. 

5 hours ago, IU_FanClub said:

2). We absolutely need more leadership out of Trayce and Race.

3). Malik needs to play more. He screws up some but he needs to play through it. Who cares if he's in foul trouble let him foul out and get more comfortable on the floor. Don't hate the idea of seeing more of Gunn and Banks either they're athletic and talented and it's not like we're getting a ton out of Geronimo and Galloway plays well maybe 1 out of 3 games.

I agree with Trayce and Race being more of leaders but if you are part of the problem playing hard and giving effort, then you aren’t looked as a bonafide leaders.

Honestly I wouldn’t mind seeing Gunn and Banks. Both have a skill that others may not have.  Galloway plays hard, just don’t always produce.  He needs to stay in the rotation but Geronimo doesn’t seem to fit into the rotation 

13 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I agree with Trayce and Race being more of leaders but if you are part of the problem playing hard and giving effort, then you aren’t looked as a bonafide leaders.

Honestly I wouldn’t mind seeing Gunn and Banks. Both have a skill that others may not have.  Galloway plays hard, just don’t always produce.  He needs to stay in the rotation but Geronimo doesn’t seem to fit into the rotation 

I think Banks has a skillset we are missing. Simply don't think he's ready. 

He and Gunn should both get opportunities the next two games. 

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Banks has all the tools we are looking for in a wing!

Excited to see what the future holds for these two.

1 minute ago, J34 said:

Banks has all the tools we are looking for in a wing!

Excited to see what the future holds for these two.

Agree. Not sure Banks isn't a 4... but I just consider that a taller wing. 

Wilson from KU seems like a mold for Banks. 

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

*Should*

If I'm Woody, Banks is getting run at the 4 along TJD/Reneau just to see. I wanna see how he'd play with the starters. He's athletic and aggressive. Maybe he'd bring a spark this team desperately needs. 

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

*Should*

If I'm Woody, Banks is getting run at the 4 along TJD/Reneau just to see. I wanna see how he'd play with the starters. He's athletic and aggressive. Maybe he'd bring a spark this team desperately needs. 

If he's earned that, sure.  

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

At this point in the season, I wouldn't say Race has earned his starting spot. 

Race has not played up to expectations yet.

BUT, I wonder if many of us (myself included) are guilty of falling into 'backup quarterback syndrome,' the theory that the guy we haven't seen yet is surely an upgrade over the featured player who is disappointing us.

I'll say this; I believe in the assessments of our staff, so if Banks and Gunn get an uptick in playing time I'll be very optimistic because it will signify that the staff thinks they're showing out in practice.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Race has not played especially well.

BUT, I wonder if many of us (myself included) are guilty of falling into 'backup quarterback syndrome,' the theory that the guy we haven't seen yet is surely an upgrade over the featured player who is disappointing us.

I'll say this; I believe in the assessments of our staff, so if Banks and Gunn get an uptick in playing time I'll be very optimistic because it will signify that the staff thinks they're showing out in practice.

I'll say this, Race is supposed to be out glue guy, our tough guy, our hustle guy. He's been none of it. Race might be great in practice, BUT at some point, you've gotta show up in games. At some point what you're doing on the court in a game has to mean more. This is a team that should be searching for answers anywhere it could. Maybe planting Races booty firmly on the bench would make something click in his head finally this season. He might be better than Banks, but how do we know how Banks would answer when getting run with the starters? I think there are solutions here. Maybe going small and athletic would be the better option. I mean we've won a B1G title with Troy Williams at the 4. It can be done again. 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Race has not played up to expectations yet.

I'd make changes to the starting lineup.  Not so much because I think the other might be better, more trying to light a fire under some players; like RMK called the greatest motivator in the world.

As I sit here trying to complete anti-terrorism training for work, I have had time to look back and reflect on the game from Saturday and the conversations with those watching with me (had the annual extended family Christmas/IU game party).

It has been mentioned over and over, but the main issue with this team is not lack of talent, it is an issue with mentality. Our experienced players are easily rattled and time after time when adversity strikes in a game they seem to crawl into a shell, well except for X. X loses control and tries to take over the game but ends up all Troy Williams and stuff. TJD checks out, and somewhat randomly checks back in for a minute or two later in the game, if things go well he plays it out, but closes shop again if it doesn't work. Race, I'm not sure where he goes, but it is definitely not on the court in the current game. Only exception so far this year being Race's 20 point game when TJD was out. I think he just played angry after large gash on his head.

TJD has got to show something outside of post play. He is going to have to shoot the ball at some point for this team to be successful or every team is going to keep doubling, tripling, or quadruple teaming him. As much of a deal that has been made about his improved shooting over the summer and in practices, I just do not understand why he won't do it, unless he just has absolutely no confidence in his ability to shoot. Again another mental issue.

TJD, Race, and X are not used to "winning" in college and are not true leaders. You can see very quickly on how the game is going to look just by watching those three in the first few minutes of the game. At Kansas, they were rattled right from the start and I really don't understand how they were not ready for that, how many games have the seniors played in with a raucous crowd? Coaches can only prepare for those environments so much, 90% of it remains on the players to be ready.

We have a glass jaw more often than not when we take a punch. It got exponentially worse at Kansas, when X went down. TJDs face was a look of "God, I don't wanna be here." Every time that face appears in a game, the offense shuts down, and we start the let them drive past us, TJD is going to block it anyway defense. This can't happen anymore, but I really don't see it changing as it has been an issue for a long time, unless, someone else steps up or when they graduate. Thought there was some progress last year during the B1G tourney, but apparently it was only temporary.

Injuries are also having an effect this year. TJD went down early this year, JHS, and now X. I don't think that the game plan for Kansas included relying on JHS to play heavy minutes (played the most on the team) in his first game back until the proverbial sh!t hit the fan with X. Really curious to know if TJD is still getting shots in his back before games.

The whole press conference game with arbitrary words was funny at first, but I think they need to focus a little more on winning games now. After this week, there are no more cupcakes to snack on. This team needs to put their big boy pants on, buckle down, take the punches, find a way to win, and move on to the next.

For the games this week, I would love to see the starters role reduced, blend in more of the younger players, give them the run and get some more experience. I will be in the stands watching closely, lol.

Trying not to overreact to the Kansas loss. But following the display at Rutgers and the way this team looked in the first half against Arizona makes it difficult not to think another losing big ten season is on the horizon

Kansas and AZ are both top 5 teams. Rutgers has our number. Relax. If you thought this was a F4 team you were being unrealistic. We should be happy with being ranked and hopefully staying in the 25-15 ranks all year. That is a step forward. We barely made the tourney last season. 

Teams are going to double and triple team Davis until he shows he can do more than play on the post or the guards/wings show they can consistently hit outside shots.

I think I read Schifino had that back tightness in HS as well?  If so that's not a good sign to already have a recurring back issue.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Kansas and AZ are both top 5 teams. Rutgers has our number. Relax. If you thought this was a F4 team you were being unrealistic. We should be happy with being ranked and hopefully staying in the 25-15 ranks all year. That is a step forward. We barely made the tourney last season. 

I bought into the Big Ten title hype this offseason, but a Final Four was never happening with this group. Final Four teams don't have guys like Miller Kopp and Race Thompson in their starting lineups.