Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: Indiana vs. Arizona (12/10) 7:30 p.m. EST on Fox

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

Why do we give up so many offensive boards?  Do we just not box out?  Do we completely sell out for blocked shots?

Yep and yep.  That’s the biggest concern with this team in my opinion.  Rebounding and post play against good bigs.  It’s not our wings or shooting that will be our downfall.  It’s our lack of size and how the size we do have plays.

9 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

They were hitting shots but again big difference between JHS fighting over a ball screen as compared to Bates.  I think JHS has a big impact on this game and I think he is the best guard on the floor.  Now we still lose with that TJD performance however.

Excellent analysis.

7 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

At the end of last year, I was all for giving JG a run at the 3 this year.  And that was the focus of what the staff was looking to do with him and that started immediately after last year ended.  The fact that he isn’t getting minutes there is indicative of not an unwillingness to play him there but rather his inability to do so.

I don’t believe that was the focus of what the staff was looking to do with JG, thete was no report to that effect. Rather, as he said when interviewed he suggested it to add more (including to his game), and said he could play there when needed. He’s playing mostly up front, and he’s competing mostly with Race, not Ren, for time.

The staff began with playing them mostly together, and they both played well for the most part as the stats reflect, but then JG hasn’t done as well against better teams so far and Woodson cut his minutes - It’s not popular here and some disagree but i see that as a real mistake. TJD and Race together are not the kind of players who will fair well against the kind of running, scoring and athletic bigs AZ has. (Race had a nice game offensively but he can’t stop guys like that defensively). Ren and JG both are good defensive front court players, with tje strength and timing to do so, but Ren’s timing isn’t fully there at this level to avoid fouling and JG just isn’t getting the minutes to contribute, Woodson’s trust level is the reason, and yes, I disagree with that, trust is earned but there’s two sides to that and JG has shown the ability to do more

10 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

They were hitting shots but again big difference between JHS fighting over a ball screen as compared to Bates.  I think JHS has a big impact on this game and I think he is the best guard on the floor.  Now we still lose with that TJD performance however.

Completely agree. And his impact defensively stands out. Bates has really started stepping up but the team is largely the same but for JHS and Ren

As someone that was skeptical, to put it mildly, of the Woodson hire, he's been around the game for a very long time.  Played for possibly the best coach ever in college and played and coached at the highest level with the world's best players; if he's only playing Geronimo at the 4 there is probably a reason for it.

Only so many minutes at the 4 or 5. Right now, Trayce, Race, and Malik are going to get their lions share of those minutes. I think it was like the Xavier game but if Geronimo comes in and doesn't look good Woody's not going to play him in the second half. I like the kid and his athleticism. But it's not wise to have a 6'6 guy going up against Tubelis and Ballo. 

Seeing a lot of ignorant posts on Twitter about Jalen's impact (not by IU fans..) It was 7-6 Arizona when Xavier Johnson picked up his second foul. Woody sent him to the bench. There was no true point guard running our offense. Arizona went on a crazy run. Indiana was lost on offense. That was the ballgame. No way that happens with Jalen out there. Tamar/Trey can run the offense against Jackson State's and Elon's..not against Arizona. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Seeing a lot of ignorant posts on Twitter about Jalen's impact (not by IU fans..) It was 7-6 Arizona when Xavier Johnson picked up his second foul. Woody sent him to the bench. There was no true point guard running our offense. Arizona went on a crazy run. Indiana was lost on offense. That was the ballgame. No way that happens with Jalen out there. Tamar/Trey can run the offense against Jackson State's and Elon's..not against Arizona. 

Which is another important reason why it’s a significant loss when JHS is hurt. 

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I don’t believe that was the focus of what the staff was looking to do with JG, thete was no report to that effect. Rather, as he said when interviewed he suggested it to add more (including to his game), and said he could play there when needed. He’s playing mostly up front, and he’s competing mostly with Race, not Ren, for time.

The staff began with playing them mostly together, and they both played well for the most part as the stats reflect, but then JG hasn’t done as well against better teams so far and Woodson cut his minutes - It’s not popular here and some disagree but i see that as a real mistake. TJD and Race together are not the kind of players who will fair well against the kind of running, scoring and athletic bigs AZ has. (Race had a nice game offensively but he can’t stop guys like that defensively). Ren and JG both are good defensive front court players, with tje strength and timing to do so, but Ren’s timing isn’t fully there at this level to avoid fouling and JG just isn’t getting the minutes to contribute, Woodson’s trust level is the reason, and yes, I disagree with that, trust is earned but there’s two sides to that and JG has shown the ability to do more

Last night JG couldn't guard either one of Arizona's big guys so you couldn't play him at the 4

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

They look like a program that didn't have 4 bad coaches in a row. 

Woodson is ok and I like him.  The reality is not known on how much IU in terms of wins, losses, and championships will be….even in comparison to previous coaches.  I am not sold or unsold.  More of just in waiting.