Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Rutgers - Saturday, 12/3/22 @ 4:00 on BTN

On 11/7/2022 at 7:42 PM, HoosierAloha said:

We really haven't generated any great looks from 3. The ones we've taken have been contested. I'm not sure what Kopp's role on this squad is besides being in college for awhile and having a funny line or two on his podcast.

Edit: and the possibility for a really cool T-shirt

On 11/30/2022 at 10:47 PM, HoosierAloha said:

Kopp with a defensive play and a made 2! Check the AH ceiling

On 11/30/2022 at 10:12 PM, HoosierAloha said:

He had that almost rebound that went out of bounds off him.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, HoosierAloha said:

Kopp almost had that rebound...

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

So you feel like he receives unfair criticism and it's not players trashing him? You're willing to state posters are trashing him but not willing to find the evidence that doesn't exist? That makes a lot of sense. I do call out players because they can reach several more levels than they've played at during their IU careers.

Yes, he is fine at his position for a solid Big 1.o team. I'd prefer the team to be at a higher level than that which would require an upgrade at the starting wing position. His isn't the only position that needs an upgrade and again it goes back to culture. I was hoping that a few players would make leaps over the off-season but it really hasn't shown that much. I didn't think Bates would make the improvement some thought he would. Having other commitments outside school and basketball at a young age is extremely difficult.

Are you criticizing Bates? Is it okay to criticize a bench player but not a starter?

Since you insist on making me do it for some reason there you go.

All I said of Bates was that I had higher expectations and outside of 1 game he has really struggled.  

Now yourself and a couple others like to make these little snide comments about Kopp every chance you get.  It’s getting old.

9 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Block Kopp three?! I'll take it to start the scoring

And damn, XJ tried to hammer that one

8 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

This is what we need from Kopp. Has to get those shots up

Over help in the lane, others can get back out to that but Kopp can't

Keep gunning it Kopp!!

Why is TJD fading away near the bucket? Go dunk on fools

Kopp losing his mind, gets a 2!!!

Where would we be in this game without Kopp?!

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Mill3r defense

Wow, makes up for it with a 2!!!

Keep shooting Kopp

Kopp rebound!!!

9 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Since you insist on making me do it for some reason there you go.

All I said of Bates was that I had higher expectations and outside of 1 game he has really struggled.  

Now yourself and a couple others like to make these little snide comments about Kopp every chance you get.  It’s getting old.

Kopp had a good game and look at the posts, mostly positive.

I'm guessing those posts mirrored his play on the court at the time.

Posting about his play (calling him out) or trashing him?

I hope that my description of his (or any player on the team for that matter) is mild compared to what his teammates are holding him accountable for. If they're patting him on the back in film session and hoping he does better next time this program has a lot further to go than I originally thought. It would also shine a bit more light on the leadership discussion too.

To the first comment you quoted, Kopp and Race have been in college the longest and if we had better options they would be the first to be replaced in the starting lineup. Actually, Reneau could/should be replacing Race in the starting lineup soon.

32 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Kopp had a good game and look at the posts, mostly positive.

I'm guessing those posts mirrored his play on the court at the time.

Posting about his play (calling him out) or trashing him?

I hope that my description of his (or any player on the team for that matter) is mild compared to what his teammates are holding him accountable for. If they're patting him on the back in film session and hoping he does better next time this program has a lot further to go than I originally thought. It would also shine a bit more light on the leadership discussion too.

To the first comment you quoted, Kopp and Race have been in college the longest and if we had better options they would be the first to be replaced in the starting lineup. Actually, Reneau could/should be replacing Race in the starting lineup soon.

Still selling Kopp short with the if we had better options talk but whatever.  He’s fine at his position on both ends.  Race is not playing well but I don’t think he should be replaced with Reneau.  Reneau has typical growing pains as a freshman and can’t stay on the court.  Plus I like the energy he brings off the bench.

I think the difference between us being a very good team and an elite team is Bates. I think we know what we are getting from certain players most nights but Bates is the X factor.

At some point in the second half yesterday, a Rutger kid missed a shot. Bates was right under the basket and the ball was falling to him. Instead of aggressively going after it and securing it, he just waited for it to land in his lap. His feet never left the floor. Meanwhile, a different Rutger kid knocked the ball away from Bates and they retained possession. 

Not necessarily picking on Tamar -- but the whole team seemed to play like that yesterday. Very passive. Hopefully, Woody will let them know there aren't many Bethune-Cookmans or Jackson States left on the schedule, and they need to bring it every night. He commented on how hard they played against UNC, but I cannot imagine he was pleased with the effort in Piscataway. It was more than just missing shots that cost us. 

No one on this team has ever beaten Rutgers, and only one played like it.  We only scored 48, Miller's teams never scored that low.  Just a laughable performance.  I'd hope Woodson tore them a new one after the game, a display like that should be unacceptable.

28 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

No one on this team has ever beaten Rutgers, and only one played like it.  We only scored 48, Miller's teams never scored that low.  Just a laughable performance.  I'd hope Woodson tore them a new one after the game, a display like that should be unacceptable.

Miller’s teams scored less than 48 a few times, just off the top of my head. 

against Rutgers no. Not excusing the s***show yesterday, just clarifying 

39 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I think Race was on the teams that beat Rutgers and I’m sure Koop got them when he was at Northwestern but your point remains the same just a terrible performance.  Not excusing anything but it might be time for some to realize with Pikiell as their coach Rutgers isn’t the old Rutgers.   There is a reason the national media didn’t raise a fuss when IU lost.   Rutgers at home is not an easy win for anyone.   I’m pretty sure they are around 48-8 the last 4 years.    Disappointing IU wasn’t up for the challenge but for a program that’s trying to find success on the road shouldn’t of been unexpected that they would struggle playing their first elite defensive team of the year 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I think Race was on the teams that beat Rutgers and I’m sure Koop got them when he was at Northwestern but your point remains the same just a terrible performance.  Not excusing anything but it might be time for some to realize with Pikiell as their coach Rutgers isn’t the old Rutgers.   There is a reason the national media didn’t raise a fuss when IU lost.   Rutgers at home is not an easy win for anyone.   I’m pretty sure they are around 48-8 the last 4 years.    Disappointing IU wasn’t up for the challenge but for a program that’s trying to find success on the road shouldn’t of been unexpected that they would struggle playing their first elite defensive team of the year 

I just read an article that said no one in this team has ever beaten Rutgers, including Kopp at NW.  Miller did beat them with Crean's holdovers.

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/platform/amp/2022/12/3/23491813/three-things-indiana-mens-basketball-loses-at-rutgers-63-48

An SBNation blog so could be they didn't fact check.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I just read an article that said no one in this team has ever beaten Rutgers, including Kopp at NW.  Miller did beat them with Crean's holdovers.

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/platform/amp/2022/12/3/23491813/three-things-indiana-mens-basketball-loses-at-rutgers-63-48

An SBNation blog so could be they didn't fact check.

Race was a redshirt freshman when Miller beat Rutgers in his second year. They also beat them the year race redshirted @ Rutgers 

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

At some point in the second half yesterday, a Rutger kid missed a shot. Bates was right under the basket and the ball was falling to him. Instead of aggressively going after it and securing it, he just waited for it to land in his lap. His feet never left the floor. Meanwhile, a different Rutger kid knocked the ball away from Bates and they retained possession. 

Not necessarily picking on Tamar -- but the whole team seemed to play like that yesterday. Very passive. Hopefully, Woody will let them know there aren't many Bethune-Cookmans or Jackson States left on the schedule, and they need to bring it every night. He commented on how hard they played against UNC, but I cannot imagine he was pleased with the effort in Piscataway. It was more than just missing shots that cost us. 

We gave up like 12 offensive rebounds in the first half. You almost have to try to give up that many. Which one of our "leaders" does that follow? Was hoping XJ would get them going in the second half. It's much easier to play with that intensity with 17k+ fans having your back.