Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

2022/23 IUFB Offseason News

18 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

None of those teams were good at all in the late 80s.

They were better than Ball State, Idaho, Indiana State, Eastern Illinois, Western Kentucky, Connecticut, Florida International, Georgia Southern, Charleston Southern, etc. -- the nonconference teams we've been playing recently. 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

They were better than Ball State, Idaho, Indiana State, Eastern Illinois, Western Kentucky, Connecticut, Florida International, Georgia Southern, Charleston Southern, etc. -- the nonconference teams we've been playing recently. 

My point wasn't to compare Mallory's schedules to Allen's.  My point was that the teams Mallory beat were generally poor non-conference opponents and lower level Big 10 teams.  That fact can easily be researched and is not debatable.  So while Mallory was certainly one of Indiana's best football coaches, his tenure wasn't exactly the roaring success that people here who didn't live through it seem to believe.  As I said, the people here who bash Allen would have been bashing Mallory back then. 

None of the coaches I have seen in my 60+ years of watching IU football have been able to build and sustain a winning program. Outside of a few decent teams here and there, the program has been abysmal. I'll believe there is a coach out there that will turn IU into a consistently good team when I see it.

38 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

My point wasn't to compare Mallory's schedules to Allen's.  My point was that the teams Mallory beat were generally poor non-conference opponents and lower level Big 10 teams.  That fact can easily be researched and is not debatable.  So while Mallory was certainly one of Indiana's best football coaches, his tenure wasn't exactly the roaring success that people here who didn't live through it seem to believe.  As I said, the people here who bash Allen would have been bashing Mallory back then. 

I lived through the Mallory era -- went to IU from 1986-91 (five-year plan). And while it might not have been a "roaring success" as you say, it was as successful as IU football has been in the past 60 years. He beat Ohio State in back-to-back years -- very badly -- and tied them in another. No IU coach has beaten them since. And one of those seasons, he had us within one win of a B1G title and a Rose Bowl berth. 

I wasn't necessarily bashing Allen -- just made a little joke that apparently, got someone all bent out of shape. CTA's MO is just like anybody else's -- it's great when you're winning, but wears on you when you're not.

And if IU had a run of six seasons averaging nearly seven wins, I'm not sure people would be bashing the coach. 

We are in fact better than Ball State, Idaho, Indiana State, Eastern Illinois, Western Kentucky, Connecticut, Florida International, Georgia Southern, Charleston Southern, etc, now too. 

9 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I lived through the Mallory era -- went to IU from 1986-91 (five-year plan). And while it might not have been a "roaring success" as you say, it was as successful as IU football has been in the past 60 years. He beat Ohio State in back-to-back years -- very badly -- and tied them in another. No IU coach has beaten them since. And one of those seasons, he had us within one win of a B1G title and a Rose Bowl berth. 

I wasn't necessarily bashing Allen -- just made a little joke that apparently, got someone all bent out of shape. CTA's MO is just like anybody else's -- it's great when you're winning, but wears on you when you're not.

And if IU had a run of six seasons averaging nearly seven wins, I'm not sure people would be bashing the coach. 

The only people that were bent out of shape were the ones that go out of their way to knock Allen. And no, you didn't necessarily bash Allen at all... which is why I just asked you a question in my first response. It confused me. 

The bold has happened how many times? 

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The only people that were bent out of shape were the ones that go out of their way to knock Allen. And no, you didn't necessarily bash Allen at all... which is why I just asked you a question in my first response. It confused me. 

The bold has happened how many times? 

1986: 6-6
1987: 8-4 
1988: 8-3-1 
1989: 5-6
1990: 6-5-1
1991: 7-4-1

That's 40 wins over six seasons -- or 6.6 wins a season. 

4 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

So... once. It's happened once in over 100 years of Indiana football. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So... once. It's happened once in over 100 years of Indiana football. 

Not sure how many times it happened. I'm just saying it happened under Mallory. The dude said people who are bashing Allen would've bashed Mallory back in the day. Maybe people would bash an IU coach who averaged 6.6 wins a season for six seasons, but considering how bad IU football has historically been -- I would hope not. In this day and age (with social media), though -- anything is possible, I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not sure how many times it happened. I'm just saying it happened under Mallory. The dude said people who are bashing Allen would've bashed Mallory back in the day. Maybe people would bash an IU coach who averaged 6.6 wins a season for six seasons, but considering how bad IU football has historically been -- I would hope not.  

Ehh.. I wouldn't past IU fans to bash anyone lol 

But, I also think the schedule is quite a bit better now. 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

At that time it felt like we weren’t that far behind the better programs like we are now. We took a 30 year dump while everyone moved on.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:50 AM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I have issues with both his team’s performances and his antics. It’s not an either or situation. Neither is great. If you’re cool with his antics that’s fine, but I don’t like them. Why is that a problem for you? His personality carries over into the team. 

A player’s parents told me Allen’s antics are somewhat of a joke with the players. Also claim things are unorganized. Same things we complain about and lead to an undisciplined team on the field.

Purdue absolutely sucked too. Minny was well below avg. ILL was avg. 

Mallory had a little above avg results against really poor schedules is the reality of that era.