Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

2022/23 IUFB Offseason News

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

Just from a financial competitive point of view, OSU's 13 million is what IUFB is working against. I'd imagine a lot of conversations with recruits and transfers are cut short once money is discussed. Who knows. I might be completely off about that but I feel pretty good about taking that to Vegas. 

I do think you're spot on here, BUT it feels a little bit better to not compare IU's money to Ohio State and instead compare it to schools we regularly recruit against like MSU, Cincinnati, etc. We aren't really recruiting against Ohio State outside of the occasional stud in-state kid that puts us in his top-xx. Does that give us a shot at ever competing in the B1G? No, and that's a totally different discussion, but that's just the reality of things. 

Edit: for clarity, I'm not sure what the MSUs, Cincys, etc. are working with but I highly doubt it's $13million a year.

On 12/4/2022 at 7:55 PM, Hovadipo said:

With the caveat of obviously not seeing the roster for ‘23 yet, but also a pretty clear expectation of the type of player to come in from the portal…it’s hard to put into words how dreadful this team is going to be next year.

This will be the least amount of talent we’ve seen here since the early Wilson days. We’re losing a ridiculous amount of production from both sides of the ball. I don’t care how bad the production was already, it’s going to get replaced almost certainly by worse players. 

If he wouldn’t have just hired a OL coach, I’d be convinced he was ditching town and I still hope he does. He’s made a complete mess of this place. 

Nah. I am thinking this is just going to be rearranging the chairs on the Titianic.  We are loosing ok players only to pick up the same ok players in return.  Nobody was setting the world on fire.  

In my opinion Dolson needs to find the funds to make a sizable investment in the program. Yes, there has been investment in the last 10 years or so (updated weight room and locker room and Memorial Stadium end zones) but it has been just enough to stay towards the bottom of the conference. As some have suggested, the football team needs its own designated weight room and a new practice facility. This investment will be needed regardless of who is the head coach of the team and it may even help bring better coaches down the line.

Whether we like it or not, Allen will be the head coach for at least one more season. I truly like Allen as a person and I think he loves the state and the program. Just a few season ago I thought we had our version of Kirk Ferentz  (or Pat Fitzgerald) and a part of me still thinks he can be that coach for us. I just hope he can find a vision for what type of offense/defense his teams are going to run and stick to it. He has mentioned he prefers a dual threat QB in the past; then why did we bring Connor in this past season? Finding a mobile QB in the transfer portal should be the main priority at this moment. Without knowing who the QB will be, it will be hard to attract other transfer portal players. I would also like for Allen to stop doing two jobs at the same time. He needs to be the head coach and let his defensive coordinator do his job. 

Bringing in Bostad was a great first step to address the OL issue. I think we all saw significant improvement in the offense towards the end of the season (before Dex went down). I just wonder if having a dual threat offense since the start of the season could have led us to win a few more games (Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland??) and be bowl eligible. How different would the narrative be if we could have ended 6-6 and bowl eligible?  

5 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

I would also like for Allen to stop doing two jobs at the same time. He needs to be the head coach and let his defensive coordinator do his job.

Oh my word, yes. He is a disaster of a DC/HC. He's wayyyy too much of a spaz to have that much on his plate at once.

17 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I do think you're spot on here, BUT it feels a little bit better to not compare IU's money to Ohio State and instead compare it to schools we regularly recruit against like MSU, Cincinnati, etc. We aren't really recruiting against Ohio State outside of the occasional stud in-state kid that puts us in his top-xx. Does that give us a shot at ever competing in the B1G? No, and that's a totally different discussion, but that's just the reality of things. 

Edit: for clarity, I'm not sure what the MSUs, Cincys, etc. are working with but I highly doubt it's $13million a year.

I don't disagree with you on this at all. I don't know the budget for any school and only basing it on an interview Don Fischer had with CTA this season. I'm assuming all the schools you mentioned above probably have a bigger budget than IUFB. A total assumption and don't really have a clue on this at all. 

I will however point out that any 4* recruit/transfer that IUFB is recruiting is more than likely being recruiting by either PSU, Michigan or OSU. And if they aren't that means the player isn't "good enough" to make the cut for these schools. So that means they are probably being recruited by a mid to top tier school like oh say an Auburn or Oregon (For example a recruit like Trevell Mullen). If you look at Trevell Mullen's offer sheet it's not out of the question to assume all but maybe two or three schools on that list have a budget less or comparable to IUFB. That's a tough hill to climb to get a transfer/recruit to come play here. 

Regardless it still doesn't change the lack of funds IUFB is dealing with for transfers and recruits. I think in the long run we'll start to see just how much it's gong hurt the program overall. But man, I hope to all the football gods out there that I'm wrong thinking this poop. 

1 minute ago, Lebowski said:

I don't disagree with you on this at all. I don't know the budget for any school and only basing it on an interview Don Fischer had with CTA this season. I'm assuming all the schools you mentioned above probably have a bigger budget than IUFB. A total assumption and don't really have a clue on this at all. 

I will however point out that any 4* recruit/transfer that IUFB is recruiting is more than likely being recruiting by either PSU, Michigan or OSU. And if they aren't that means the player isn't "good enough" to make the cut for these schools. So that means they are probably being recruited by a mid to top tier school like oh say an Auburn or Oregon (For example a recruit like Trevell Mullen). If you look at Trevell Mullen's offer sheet it's not out of the question to assume all but maybe two or three schools on that list have a budget less or comparable to IUFB. That's a tough hill to climb to get a transfer/recruit to come play here. 

Regardless it still doesn't change the lack of funds IUFB is dealing with for transfers and recruits. I think in the long run we'll start to see just how much it's gong hurt the program overall. But man, I hope to all the football gods out there that I'm wrong thinking this poop. 

I unfortunately don't think you're wrong at all. We HAVE to get out of this NIL tier we're in or we'll be an afterthought when the big boys inevitably break off from the rest of the country. We had $150k (?) this year according to Allen, which was probably on par with some MAC schools, and probably some of those monster FCS programs honestly. The $1million thing is nice until you realize that it's a match, not a straight up donation. We're so far behind. I know for a fact that there's a southern G5 school working with more NIL money than us right now and I'm sure there are more.

6 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I'd say for just football alone, the budget/investment is probably dead last in the Big Ten. Obviously we aren't competing with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State.. their ticket sales alone probably destroy our football budget. Can we compete though with Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland? Absolutely. Almost through sheer will though. The amount of money Indiana would need to really catch up to the upper half is out of any possibilities. To improve the stadium and game experiences, practice facilities, locker room/player lounges, NIL etc. There is a lot Indiana is behind on. Maybe we should have tried to do what Northwestern did with the downsizing of the stadium. 

29 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

In my opinion Dolson needs to find the funds to make a sizable investment in the program. Yes, there has been investment in the last 10 years or so (updated weight room and locker room and Memorial Stadium end zones) but it has been just enough to stay towards the bottom of the conference. As some have suggested, the football team needs its own designated weight room and a new practice facility. This investment will be needed regardless of who is the head coach of the team and it may even help bring better coaches down the line.

Whether we like it or not, Allen will be the head coach for at least one more season. I truly like Allen as a person and I think he loves the state and the program. Just a few season ago I thought we had our version of Kirk Ferentz  (or Pat Fitzgerald) and a part of me still thinks he can be that coach for us. I just hope he can find a vision for what type of offense/defense his teams are going to run and stick to it. He has mentioned he prefers a dual threat QB in the past; then why did we bring Connor in this past season? Finding a mobile QB in the transfer portal should be the main priority at this moment. Without knowing who the QB will be, it will be hard to attract other transfer portal players. I would also like for Allen to stop doing two jobs at the same time. He needs to be the head coach and let his defensive coordinator do his job. 

Bringing in Bostad was a great first step to address the OL issue. I think we all saw significant improvement in the offense towards the end of the season (before Dex went down). I just wonder if having a dual threat offense since the start of the season could have led us to win a few more games (Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland??) and be bowl eligible. How different would the narrative be if we could have ended 6-6 and bowl eligible?  

I don't think that was realistic with 1. Dexter coming off an injury/no spring practice 2. Just the in general newness of Bell's scheme 3. I could have sworn they mentioned Dexter had not been practicing well at one point 

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yes... We will miss him getting blown by on just about every deep route. If there was any position that IU needed to just completely replace, it's corners and safeties. 

Mullen was the man his freshman and sophomore years.  His coverage regressed after his injury but he played well on special teams.  Should have a bright future and now we will see what his brother can do.

Yes... We will miss him getting blown by on just about every deep route. If there was any position that IU needed to just completely replace, it's corners and safeties. 
Didn't you just say same for O-Line? Is there a position you like? Might be quicker

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Oh my god give it a rest dude. 

46 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Didn't you just say same for O-Line? Is there a position you like? Might be quicker

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

On this team? No. There wasn't anything to like. That's why no one should care about anyone leaving. *Outside of Lucas* Anyone leaving(outside of Lucas) doesn't hurt this program next season. We were going to suck with any of them, we did suck with them, we will suck without them. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

When you cannot pressure the quarterback without blitzing (and even then it didn't work most of the time),  you're going to stress the db's. Defensive line hasn't been very good for a while.