Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

2022/23 IUFB Offseason News

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

I think Carpenter and Katic might be up in the air on coming back or not, just based on COVID years and how long they've been around. Both would be replaceable. Other than them I think we lose at least 2 more scholarship guys so there will be plenty of schollies to go around for the committed guys and portal adds.

Luckily (?) Bedford's injury came early, so I'd expect him to be back for camp barring a rehab hiccup, but yeah I think that core is pretty good and assuming a couple portal additions of Bostad's choosing that group might end up not being a worry next year. The defensive line (and uh...the rest of that side of the ball), however. Yikes.

... find a center, Benson LG, Bedford RG, Sales RT, Smith LT... I can dig it.... or get that UW transfer. Or maybe DJ Moore is in the mix. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Hoping? 

IMO-- the offensive line isn't that far away. I know that sounds crazy to say. 

I actually understand what you're saying and that's not crazy to say. But it's still has a lot of distance to cover if we're being honest with ourselves. Let's hope Bostad can get these guys to cover that distance in a hurry. If that happens IUFB might surprise folks the '23 season.

I still think the biggest hurdle every position on the roster is going to face is NIL dollars. In this example, Bostad might have guys in mind to join the team but the money just isn't there to get them.  

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'd say pull a Deion and tell em all to leave and replace them. Cause they are all terrible. 

Deion has the cred with recruits and transfers to make this a viable option. He will likely be able to actually replace players with upgrades...

I'm not sure what the sell is to get anyone to come to IU right now. Maybe, immediate playing time? But, if that is your draw, and you can't see the field elsewhere, will it really be an upgrade for us?

3 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Deion has the cred with recruits and transfers to make this a viable option. He will likely be able to actually replace players with upgrades...

I'm not sure what the sell is to get anyone to come to IU right now. Maybe, immediate playing time? But, if that is your draw, and you can't see the field elsewhere, will it really be an upgrade for us?

There won't be an upgrade no matter what. But I'd just get in fresh faces who haven't been getting torched in an Indiana jersey. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

#hyperbole

Isn't even that. It's just a fact. The offensive line isn't good. The talent isn't good. 

Who gave up the most sacks per game in the B1G? Indiana.

Worst rushing yards per attempt? Indiana

Sacks actually up a little from last year. Yards per carry wemt down from last year by 2 yards. 

45 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Should OSU and Michigan win the semifinal games I'd say that's one heck of a sell to come to IU right now. 

27 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It's very true. There is a reason Indiana is terrible. Coaching AND talent. The offensive line is one of the worst units on the team. Probably only looked good against our god awful DLine. 

And Purdue and MSU. We ran for 470 yards our last two games combined. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Oh snap... Did something for 2 games... Who cares about the other 10. 

Ahh.. moving the goalposts now. Figures. 

I don't really have anything else to say in response to you, and I already assume this is annoying the other posters here. So ... say your piece, I won't respond, and then we can move on. K? K. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Ahh.. moving the goalposts now. Figures. 

I don't really have anything else to say in response to you, and I already assume this is annoying the other posters here. So ... say your piece, I won't respond, and then we can move on. K? K. 

You wanna try and prove this offensive line group is good yet they proved all season they weren't. A good offensive line doesn't have 5 games where you're under 2 yards per carry. One those games was under 1 yard. Cool they played well against MSU for a quarter of a game, Purdue and Idaho. 

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

I actually understand what you're saying and that's not crazy to say. But it's still has a lot of distance to cover if we're being honest with ourselves. Let's hope Bostad can get these guys to cover that distance in a hurry. If that happens IUFB might surprise folks the '23 season.

I still think the biggest hurdle every position on the roster is going to face is NIL dollars. In this example, Bostad might have guys in mind to join the team but the money just isn't there to get them.  

Glad to have a decent back and forth... 

It's hard for me to filter in the NIL in these discussions because it's so much of an unknown with each player and each situation, right? Not saying you are wrong at all... I just don't know. I mean, if we can somehow add the guard that just transferred from UW... that could really give us the shot in the arm that we needed. Losing Bedford was a big-time loss for us... we lost our best OL, best LB, and best WR this season.. hard for us to overcome. 

The OL was absolutely improved though, by the end of the year, we cannot allow ourselves to go back to a Bazelak type player though. I will undoubtedly sacrifice some accuracy for legs, in the QB dept. 

38 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Should OSU and Michigan win the semifinal games I'd say that's one heck of a sell to come to IU right now. 

The question will be is that enough to get anyone to sniff us. Surely the other Big Ten schools will be pitching the same thing. I think we need to land a QB in the portal to get some excitement around the program, and I am hopeful the OL coach is brining some baggage with him.

This will be the last thing about Deion. I watched his tour of the Colorado facilities, and they were beautiful. Is there a video out there showing the IU facilities? I know others have said we are lacking and behind, but with recent upgrades truly how do we compare stack up with not only other Big Ten schools, but other conferences like the Pac12?

3 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

The question will be is that enough to get anyone to sniff us. Surely the other Big Ten schools will be pitching the same thing. I think we need to land a QB in the portal to get some excitement around the program, and I am hopeful the OL coach is brining some baggage with him.

This will be the last thing about Deion. I watched his tour of the Colorado facilities, and they were beautiful. Is there a video out there showing the IU facilities? I know others have said we are lacking and behind, but with recent upgrades truly how do we compare stack up with not only other Big Ten schools, but other conferences like the Pac12?

The new locker room is really nice with a decent player lounge. The meeting rooms are nice enough, but overall they're average. The indoor facility is the big eye sore. That thing SUCKS. Old, discolored, dangerous turf. Short ceilings with netting for baseball and soccer that looks awful. Rusting beams everywhere. It's just dirty and disgusting. The MAC schools that have indoor facilities are almost all better than ours. That needs to be the first major facility project on football's wish list and it needs to start yesterday.

There's also the discussion about the all-sports weight room. The room itself is pretty nice and looks out into the stadium, but almost every time the team is in there, volleyball or track or whoever is working out in the other half, which is kind of a joke when you look at other football programs. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Glad to have a decent back and forth... 

It's hard for me to filter in the NIL in these discussions because it's so much of an unknown with each player and each situation, right? Not saying you are wrong at all... I just don't know. I mean, if we can somehow add the guard that just transferred from UW... that could really give us the shot in the arm that we needed. Losing Bedford was a big-time loss for us... we lost our best OL, best LB, and best WR this season.. hard for us to overcome. 

The OL was absolutely improved though, by the end of the year, we cannot allow ourselves to go back to a Bazelak type player though. I will undoubtedly sacrifice some accuracy for legs, in the QB dept. 

Oh man did they improve after Hiller was let go! I think you and I are on the same page here. I just think they're a little farther from being where I would like them to be. But yeah, they improved for sure. 

I'm in the dark with NIL just like you but it looks like it is becoming a factor when you hear coaches openly discuss money now. Even Saban is complaining about not being able to compete financially to his conference opponents. This tells me that it's probably a little more of a factor than us poor saps realize. 

I'm trying to look at it from the perspective of a college athlete. Back in my salad days I had the opportunity to continue on to play at the college level but declined, for various reason. Had money been thrown in my face I might have changed my tune a little. Now just think of money being thrown (from other schools in other conferences) at the best players on a lower tier Big Ten team? I'd imagine they're seeing numbers you and I would have dreamt about at 19, 20, 21 years old.  

Just from a financial competitive point of view, OSU's 13 million is what IUFB is working against. I'd imagine a lot of conversations with recruits and transfers are cut short once money is discussed. Who knows. I might be completely off about that but I feel pretty good about taking that to Vegas.