Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

2022/23 IUFB Offseason News

29 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Can anyone honestly take the 2020 season seriously at this point? Zero fans in the stands. Players opting out of the season. Michigan, PSU, and MSU all being terrible. Players in and out of the lineup with covid. Games getting canceled - Wisconsin played 2 games over a 6 week period. Following it up by going 2-16 in conference over the next two seasons. I put zero stock into that season. It was a once in a lifetime fluke. 

Yeah, IU fans dumping on that season is weird as hell lol. Almost as weird as that season was in general. I understand Michigan fans saying it doesn’t count, but I truly have no idea what benefit IU fans get out of saying it doesn’t count. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

And even those who take the view that it shouldn’t be downplayed, you still have to acknowledge that Tom Allen’s success in 2020 should have virtually zero to do with what the AD does moving forward. Dolson can’t sit there and think “well, 2020 was great. Maybe he can do it again. Let’s keep him.” It was a fluke. We’ve seen how he followed up on that season. 

Who is saying this? Who are we arguing against here?

28 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Yeah, IU fans dumping on that season is weird as hell lol. Almost as weird as that season was in general. I understand Michigan fans saying it doesn’t count, but I truly have no idea what benefit IU fans get out of saying it doesn’t count. 

We don’t “get” anything out of it. I just view it as the reality of the situation. It was great while it was happening. But looking back it’s hard not to view the 2020 season with a giant asterisk when we were as terrible as we were immediately afterwards, especially when we didn’t have huge losses from the season before. We brought a ton of people back. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-football-linked-to-georgia-tech-transfer-qb-jeff-sims/

First QB I’ve seen directly attached to IU, Georgia Tech’s Jeff Sims. Missed half of last year due to injury. Was an Elite 11 guy in HS. Wouldn’t pretend to be able to judge QB’s, but 2 thoughts from the attached video: 1) The kid has a lightning release and a live arm. 2) Based on what I recall was out there when Walt Bell was hired, Sims would appear to be a better system fit than Bazelak was. 

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ok well, in regards to success... he's the 2nd best coach in program history.

Then you will reply with "that's not saying much"... I get it. 

We fired the best coach in program history -- and after taking over a horrible team that went 0-11 his first year, he had a winning record over the next twelve seasons.  I simply can't understand why Tom Allen is getting leeway when it is so obvious how bad the program is in freefall.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-football-linked-to-georgia-tech-transfer-qb-jeff-sims/

First QB I’ve seen directly attached to IU, Georgia Tech’s Jeff Sims. Missed half of last year due to injury. Was an Elite 11 guy in HS. Wouldn’t pretend to be able to judge QB’s, but 2 thoughts from the attached video: 1) The kid has a lightning release and a live arm. 2) Based on what I recall was out there when Walt Bell was hired, Sims would appear to be a better system fit than Bazelak was. 

He is more mobile.  But from a strictly throwing viewpoint, he's been inaccurate and interception prone.  But he's miles ahead of anyway we have.  I'd say he has Dexter Williams mobility and Connor Bazelak's arm.  Bazelak doesn't have a good arm and Williams mobility is good but not great with no accuracy throwing the ball.

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

We fired the best coach in program history -- and after taking over a horrible team that went 0-11 his first year, he had a winning record over the next twelve seasons.  I simply can't understand why Tom Allen is getting leeway when it is so obvious how bad the program is in freefall.

I'm not sure who you are talking about, but if it is Mallory, his last few seasons weren't that good. He was an old school coach who I liked a lot. But it was still the same old IU football at the end of the day.

12 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Dude its always been weird.  I've never seen anything like it. The need from our fans to "distance themselves" (I guess is the reason).. has always confused me.  

14 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I think the argument is that it doesn't count in terms of development towards anything positive with the program, but rather serves as an example of how Indiana football requires divine intervention to be "good". 

The fact that we followed up 2020 by going 6-18 the next two seasons indicates the general format of Indiana. 

17 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

And that's fine, but I think twisting one of the most memorable IU football seasons in most of our lifetimes into a negative is really weird. Winning is fun. We won. We do it very rarely. Everyone was dealing with COVID that year, so I'm calling that an even playing field. We were featured on College Gameday every week. It was by far the most talent I've seen on an IU football team in my lifetime. Not to get too corny, but 2020 was a dark year and that was one of very few bright spots for IU fans.

Like I said earlier in this thread, Tom Allen has proven he isn't it all by himself. No one is arguing that he's doing a good job right now. We don't need to convince ourselves that 2020 was "actually bad!" to prove that he's not good; he did it for us right after two winning seasons. I don't care if they were flukes, they were fun.

In the words of Ricky Bobby: "Enjoy the win! Come on man!"

Tom Allen has been so bad that those two years CAN BE considered the best years in IU football history and it still doesn't matter at the end of the day. He isn't getting it done.

It's really not that hard lol

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Is Randy Holtz the only OL in the portal? Or do I have that wrong?

Plus Haggard graduating. Any other attrition, so far, in that position group? 

So far. Bostad probably just got into town, so his player meetings will be a little later than the other groups. I'm guessing/hoping he loses some depth pieces.

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

So far. Bostad probably just got into town, so his player meetings will be a little later than the other groups. I'm guessing/hoping he loses some depth pieces.

Hoping? 

IMO-- the offensive line isn't that far away. I know that sounds crazy to say. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Hoping? 

IMO-- the offensive line isn't that far away. I know that sounds crazy to say. 

No, I totally agree. If we can get rid of some depth pieces that the staff panic-signed the last few years, ideally he can replace those spots with better players. Talent-wise, I think the top tier of our line is a piece or two and some coaching stability away from being just fine.

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

No, I totally agree. If we can get rid of some depth pieces that the staff panic-signed the last few years, ideally he can replace those spots with better players. Talent-wise, I think the top tier of our line is a piece or two and some coaching stability away from being just fine.

Bradberry, Haggard, Holtz open 3 schollies. I can think of 2 off the top of my head that wouldn't mind losing. 

Do we know about Bedford yet? 

But... Benson, Sales, Carp, Smith is honestly a solid start. I needed to pay attention to Katic more to see how he was... but he and Weaver at least have a fair amount of experience. Plus-- Bray Lynch, DJ Moore. Those 8 aren't bad at all, imo. I guess you can see who I wouldn't mind losing by who I didn't list here lol 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Bradberry, Haggard, Holtz open 3 schollies. I can think of 2 off the top of my head that wouldn't mind losing. 

Do we know about Bedford yet? 

But... Benson, Sales, Carp, Smith is honestly a solid start. I needed to pay attention to Katic more to see how he was... but he and Weaver at least have a fair amount of experience. Plus-- Bray Lynch, DJ Moore. Those 8 aren't bad at all, imo. I guess you can see who I wouldn't mind losing by who I didn't list here lol 

I think Carpenter and Katic might be up in the air on coming back or not, just based on COVID years and how long they've been around. Both would be replaceable. Other than them I think we lose at least 2 more scholarship guys so there will be plenty of schollies to go around for the committed guys and portal adds.

Luckily (?) Bedford's injury came early, so I'd expect him to be back for camp barring a rehab hiccup, but yeah I think that core is pretty good and assuming a couple portal additions of Bostad's choosing that group might end up not being a worry next year. The defensive line (and uh...the rest of that side of the ball), however. Yikes.