Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Indiana Vs North Carolina Game Thread Wed 11/30/22 9:15pm(ish) ESPN (

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Has a #1 team ever lost 3 straight? It's rare outside of preseason tourneys that a team plays thrice in a week. I would think after two losses they'd lose their #1 ranking.

I definitely agree with your point, But I was more so wondering if the #1 team lost 3 straight, much. whether 1 a week or 3 days in a row.

One key to the game for me is the performance of Tamar Bates and Jordan Geronimo. Against Xavier they score a combined 1 point. That's not going to cut it. Trayce and X had an All-American like performance. Malik played well. Indiana really needs their bench to beat UNC. They have a massive advantage. If Jordan/Tamar can get you around 15 points combined that's pretty good. Malik has been consistent getting at least 8 or so points. If those three give us their average performance, I don't see how UNC beats IU. Puff is their only bench guy really. The Trimble kid is only a freshman. 

Bottom line: Everyone do your job (Miller-hit open 3's; X-don't try and do too much; Race-be the glue guy; Trey-bring energy and toughness). I feel like this IU team has an All-American in Trayce and I don't want to say a bunch of role players but a lot of guys who are extremely good at something. Feel like they all bring something to the table.  I still think Gunn and Banks see a lot of minutes on the last 5 IU teams. 

6 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

If Jordan/Tamar can get you around 15 points combined that's pretty good.

Tamar Bates has had one good game against a bad team. Against the one good team IU has played, he did not play particularly well. His improvement this season will likely be more gradual--good games mixed with not so good games. How well Bates plays against NC will largely depend upon who guards him. But after the last game, NC will be aware of his potential and likely guard him closely. With Jordan Geronimo it will depend upon matchups and their defensive scheme. If NC tries to double team TJD and Malik Reneau or he is otherwise left alone, Geronimo can wreck havoc. But he doesn't create his own shots much.

10 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I definitely agree with your point, But I was more so wondering if the #1 team lost 3 straight, much. whether 1 a week or 3 days in a row.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jay and his buddy had a stat for us tomorrow night. I can't imagine it has happened that often but certainly has happened at some point.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:25 AM, Hovadipo said:

This should honestly be a blowout. UNC stinks and they have everything working against them from the crowd to travel to injuries. Let Caleb Love shoot 62 times. 

22 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

They might not get their gameplan installed because it’ll be tough to get on the floor to practice because…they’re tired. :)

16 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Sorry guys, I'm just not that worried about UNC "trying really hard". They stink this year and they stunk last year before their cinderella run. Hoosiers by a whole heap.

And yet...

On 11/28/2022 at 9:51 AM, Hovadipo said:

Hoosiers - 78

Armando Bacot might not be walkin’ thru that door..? - 68

Translation: if Bacot walks through that door that "whole heap" might be

"(*feeble voice*) IU by two I hope?"

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And yet...

Translation: if Bacot walks through that door that whole heap might be

"(*feeble voice*) IU by two I hope?"

Listen, I'm gonna talk that talk in the game thread, but prediction league is all business (read: beating Josh) and business is BOOMING.

52 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I feel there are enough weapons on this team that we should have a "big 3" on most nights. Typically, that will be TJD and XJ with the third rotating. XJ can have an off game and IU wins but his leadership and drive (see e and e) needs to be there. Reneau has been that third several times but Race, Kopp, JHS, Bates, and Geronimo can step up in different ways.

I don't think we need to be hitting on all cylinders to win this game if we defend and rebound. UNC hasn't looked that great and have their own issues. I'd love to see us put it all together and smoke them by 20+ points at home.

I agree. I feel Trayce will be one of the 3. Some nights it could be Race and some times it could be Miller. Just depends. Benefit of having a deep team!!!

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Tamar Bates has had one good game against a bad team. Against the one good team IU has played, he did not play particularly well. His improvement this season will likely be more gradual--good games mixed with not so good games. How well Bates plays against NC will largely depend upon who guards him. But after the last game, NC will be aware of his potential and likely guard him closely. With Jordan Geronimo it will depend upon matchups and their defensive scheme. If NC tries to double team TJD and Malik Reneau or he is otherwise left alone, Geronimo can wreck havoc. But he doesn't create his own shots much.

I agree with you. I hope Friday gave him some confidence. He and Jordan looked bad against Xavier. It's like a QB looking good against horrible teams but against a really good team he struggles. I just think if Tamar and Jordan have even an average game this IU team is going to be hard to beat. I think Jordan and Tamar scored a combined 20-30 points the last couple of games. Don't think they'll do that every time but we need more than 1 point from the two of them. If not for an All-American performance by Trayce and X they don't beat Xavier. 

12 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I agree with you. I hope Friday gave him some confidence. He and Jordan looked bad against Xavier. It's like a QB looking good against horrible teams but against a really good team he struggles. I just think if Tamar and Jordan have even an average game this IU team is going to be hard to beat. I think Jordan and Tamar scored a combined 20-30 points the last couple of games. Don't think they'll do that every time but we need more than 1 point from the two of them. If not for an All-American performance by Trayce and X they don't beat Xavier. 

JG has been stepping up all around, he either leads the team or is in the top 3 in most stats across the board, see the thread on it, he's been one of the keys to how well we've been playing and that's really not arguable. Don't think it's fair to him to say against a really good team he struggles, we've only had one game against a really good team this year, and again he was excellent in the NCAA tourney to close out last year. He's fine. Ren too -- but the thing with Ren that keeps getting overlooked is his foul rate, and it's been pretty bad lately, we need him on the floor, he's all-around excellent and sometimes our 3rd best player, but will he foul UNC's front court players? Hope not, need both of them firing on all cylinders in this game, and here's to hoping Bates' breakout game carries over Wednesday.

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

JG has been stepping up all around, he either leads the team or is in the top 3 in most stats across the board, see the thread on it, he's been one of the keys to how well we've been playing and that's really not arguable. Don't think it's fair to him to say against a really good team he struggles, we've only had one game against a really good team this year, and again he was excellent in the NCAA tourney to close out last year. He's fine. Ren too -- but the thing with Ren that keeps getting overlooked is his foul rate, and it's been pretty bad lately, we need him on the floor, he's all-around excellent and sometimes our 3rd best player, but will he foul UNC's front court players? Hope not, need both of them firing on all cylinders in this game, and here's to hoping Bates' breakout game carries over Wednesday.

At our first game I remember saying this. I was afraid he'd get into foul trouble. Thankfully they have a deep frontcourt. But next year? Something he needs to improve on. 

It's not fair after one game, I was just disapointed he didn't show up against Xavier. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

At our first game I remember saying this. I was afraid he'd get into foul trouble. Thankfully they have a deep frontcourt. But next year? Something he needs to improve on. 

It's not fair after one game, I was just disapointed he didn't show up against Xavier. 

I don't know that he didn't show up. He only got 5 minutes. 

That is one thing that I get frustrated with Woody a little bit. Miller and Race looked stupid bad sometimes at the beginning of games (Parker last year as well) but still get 20 minutes. JG comes in and looks a little shaky the first few minutes then never gets back in. He doesn't get a chance to settle into the game.

It is something I don't understand given what he does energy and rebounding wise. 

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I don't know that he didn't show up. He only got 5 minutes. 

That is one thing that I get frustrated with Woody a little bit. Miller and Race looked stupid bad sometimes at the beginning of games (Parker last year as well) but still get 20 minutes. JG comes in and looks a little shaky the first few minutes then never gets back in. He doesn't get a chance to settle into the game.

It is something I don't understand given what he does energy and rebounding wise. 

When you have nine or ten players that can be very effective, it's hard to know which ones to roll with on a given night.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

When you have nine or ten players that can be very effective, it's hard to know which ones to roll with on a given night.

Well of course. But I am not sure that is the issue here.