Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Miami (OH) - Sunday, 11/20/22 @ 5:30 on BTN

14 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022-2023-indiana-basketball-stats/

Updated stats through 4 games. JHS is shooting 33% from the field, 30% from 3, and 55% from the free throw line while averaging 7.5 ppg and 4.5 assists/1.8TO. Hopefully the overall FG % can tick up to at least the low-mid 40s.

He has looked steady, but def not like a one-done to this point. 

He hasn't yet shown shooting at that level, but he's running the team very well and leading us in assists at that 4.5 to 1.8 assist to TO ratio. (And X has a ratio of 3.8 to 2.3, that's a stark contrast.) He's also averaging 1.3 steals per game, good for 1st on the team (tied with JG and Ren). Scouts aren't watching him just to see how much he scores, they're watching him for his on-ball play and upside as a big lead guard with NBA athleticism. We're undefeated, he's key, and he's very much in mix right now as a player being watched for the next level.

20 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

He hasn't yet shown shooting at that level, but he's running the team very well and leading us in assists at that 4.5 to 1.8 assist to TO ratio. (And X has a ratio of 3.8 to 2.3, that's a stark contrast.) He's also averaging 1.3 steals per game, good for 1st on the team (tied with JG and Ren). Scouts aren't watching him just to see how much he scores, they're watching him for his on-ball play and upside as a big lead guard with NBA athleticism. We're undefeated, he's key, and he's very much in mix right now as a player being watched for the next level.

Yes, I agree with a lot of what you said. But his shooting numbers have to improve, even with the rest of what you said about his game being true.

44 minutes ago, DWB said:

Leal must have gotten caught sleeping with Woody's daughter (twice) to be in the dog house like he is. Whenever he's on the floor, he plays really hard, makes good decisions. Hasn't shot well (news flash...neither has Bates) and hasn't had enough minutes to get "comfortable" playing. 

Obviously, he's not showing it in practice, or Woody just doesn't trust him, or something else. Really feel bad for the kid.

Garbage minutes have basically gone to Gunn and Banks. Do you think he deserves those minutes over them? Otherwise, there’s just too much depth.  

It’s not obvious to me that Leal brings more than a guy like Gunn. 

7 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Yes, I agree with a lot of what you said. But his shooting numbers have to improve, even with the rest of what you said about his game being true.

Yes agree. He's pretty solid inside the arc, would expect his FG% to improve, not sure yet on his outside game, it's not a strength but he has shown he can knock some down, hope to see that improve for sure --

Even though I'm a college hoops junkie I'm a huge NFL/Cowboys fan. Needless to say IU was on my second tv yesterday. I was able to watch enough of it. Not surprised they got off to a slow start. 

1. Thank you Coach Woodson for not playing Trayce, Xavier, etc more than 25 minutes. No need to do that right now. I felt last year he would play those guys more than he should have in these kind of games. Kaleb and CJ both got some great experience last night. 

2. Malik's minutes are going to continue to sky rocket. I think he is their 3rd best player right now (2nd if X isn't on..). Again, I love Race and what he brings. I'm not saying he should bench Race. Continue to start him. But maybe it should be a 20/20 ish split between minutes. 

3. Much better game from Tamar/Geronimo. I was really disapointed with their performance on Friday night. Geronimo HAS to show up in the start of those big games or he won't see any action in the 2nd half. Tamar too. Trey will play over him and CJ could eventually. 

4. I love this freshman class. I also think they all are back next year. Jalen is awesome. Potential is there. But he's not a one and done. Malik isn't either. CJ and Kaleb are going to have a huge impact on this program going forward. It's possible they are starters as juniors..maybe even next year. Well done Coach Woodson and staff on this class. Not bad for someone who can't recruit.... :) 

5. Let's take care of business this week. Upsets can happen. Let's worry about UNC AFTER Friday. I'm just as excited for that game as anyone else. I just don't want a Fort Wayne situation happening all over again. 

50 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I'm guessing there was a very honest conversation with Leal before the season about what things would look like going forward. Having a guy willing to accept that and stay on as a positive member of the team is pretty cool in this era.

Might need him to step up at some point for something, but if we don't we don't.

100%

His love for IU basketball is contagious! I could see him get into coaching, one day.

Finally got to watch the game late last night after spending all day in a combine. I liked the floor design with our logo! Was not impressed with the officiating. We are still a little rough around the edges, but there are not many teams out there that are not. We have time to continue to polish.

I will be at the next two games.. Getting excited, hopefully I feel better tomorrow.

As an example of other teams problems, a pUKe friend from work sent me a text last night, Nothing was falling, no D, just watching the ball on both ends of the court. Also, Cal can't draw up a play for Sh!t! Post Game: Question: How could UK not have fight against the No. 2 team in the country? Toppin: "If you want the honest answer...um... its a long season. I don't want to speak for any guys, but in some moments, guys can't step up!"

Ouch, pUKe players already throwing each other under the bus!

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That certainly sounds like something to associate with Crean and Archie. Little surprised Sampson didn’t snag one 

Losing on the road also a staple of the Mike Davis era.

32 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Espn reports the W over Xavier was IU's first true non-conference road win over a KenPom top 40 ranked team in 21 years.

Didn't Archie sweep Michigan st. one year?  Can't imagine they weren't in the top 40?

42 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Espn reports the W over Xavier was IU's first true non-conference road win over a KenPom top 40 ranked team in 21 years.

Wow...I know it doesn't matter but can't believe IU didn't move up more than 1 spot this week. Thought they'd be like 9 or 10. 

5 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I'm guessing there was a very honest conversation with Leal before the season about what things would look like going forward. Having a guy willing to accept that and stay on as a positive member of the team is pretty cool in this era.

Might need him to step up at some point for something, but if we don't we don't.

Pretty great when scholarship players 12 and 13 are non-freshmen guys who’ve looked at least competent. We’ve seen too many Crean- and Archie-era teams give minutes to walkons because that wasn’t the case.