Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Miami (OH) - Sunday, 11/20/22 @ 5:30 on BTN

18 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

As others have said, a lot to like about the young guys. Excited about this season and feel pretty about the future with Hood, Reneau, Gunn, Banks and even Duncomb. 

If the Kopp of the last couple games hangs around and Race just steps it up a little, IU is gonna be a tough out for anyone. If not, Reneau should start, IMO. Kid is poised and skilled. 

Reneau plays like he’s in the middle of his sophomore year - not 4 games into his college career.

8 minutes ago, Josh said:

JHS's weakness is his shooting, isn't it?  Why not focus on sharpening his strengths rather than giving him a Devonte Green Light?

Yep,

I’m a big fan of the many things that JHS can do but he wasn’t exactly a sharpshooter in HS so his shooting so far isn’t exactly a surprise.

5 minutes ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

Yep. 9-17  !

This is why he might have problems elsewhere but as long as he’s hitting 40% or more of his 3s he’s going to get PT.

Every single guy on that bench knows who they have to beat to start but if they cant create space for TJD or a place for X to dish the ball then they aren’t getting that spot.  

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

This is why he might have problems elsewhere but as long as he’s hitting 40% or more of his 3s he’s going to get PT.

Every single guy on that bench knows who they have to beat to start but if they cant create space for TJD or a place for X to dish the ball then they aren’t getting that spot.  

I'm good with Kopp getting plenty of minutes if he's hitting 40+% from deep, that includes games against good competition. If he's hitting 60% against bad teams and 30% against good teams that's not doing much for us.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'm good with Kopp getting plenty of minutes if he's hitting 40+% from deep, that includes games against good competition. If he's hitting 60% against bad teams and 30% against good teams that's not doing much for us.

Yet to be seen I suppose.  Hopefully has more to do with home vs away.  But I agree if he starts come up short in the meat of the schedule it should be relatively easy for a few guys to beat him. 

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Leal in

Leal is getting walk-on minutes this year. I expected him to not play much but I thought he'd get a few more minutes during blowouts early in the season. I guess not.

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t get the Kopp hate either.  Who are we supposed to play instead?  

Perimeter shooting while overall  better so far this season (36.8%) is still questionable. Only Miller Kopp at 52.9% (9 for 17) and Xavier Johnson at 100% (3 for 3) are shooting well from 3-point range. It's only been four games. Galloway, who sat out Sunday with a knee injury, is 2 for 4 from 3 so far. But given his history it is hard to imagine he will continue to shoot anywhere near that average. After that there are Tamar Bates and Jalen Hood-Schifino shooting 30% from 3 (both 3 for 10). Usually the 3-point averages drop as the competition level rises. In short, there is nobody on this team who is currently demonstrating they could play instead of Kopp at his position and shoot 3 pointers near his level.

14 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Bardo has Reneau as a 'surprise player'.

Does he not follow recruiting?

He also said before the tip (and continued to mention it throughout the first half) that he was glad to see JHS would “finally get some playing time.” He apparently hasn’t watched a lot of basketball this season, or at least not Indiana basketball. Bardo is such a turd. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Do that with training presentations all the time. Each trainer has a word they have to work into the mix. 

I thought Kopp's chicken thing was weirdly weird. Props to Bates; I didn't really notice him working banana into the presser at all.

I thinks it a great way to 1) have a littel fun 2) be able to concentrate on 2 things at once in what could be a stressful situation. Great mental exercise that is similar to the mental part of the game on the floor. I love it.

12 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Leal is getting walk-on minutes this year. I expected him to not play much but I thought he'd get a few more minutes during blowouts early in the season. I guess not.

Leal must have gotten caught sleeping with Woody's daughter (twice) to be in the dog house like he is. Whenever he's on the floor, he plays really hard, makes good decisions. Hasn't shot well (news flash...neither has Bates) and hasn't had enough minutes to get "comfortable" playing. 

Obviously, he's not showing it in practice, or Woody just doesn't trust him, or something else. Really feel bad for the kid.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022-2023-indiana-basketball-stats/

Updated stats through 4 games. JHS is shooting 33% from the field, 30% from 3, and 55% from the free throw line while averaging 7.5 ppg and 4.5 assists/1.8TO. Hopefully the overall FG % can tick up to at least the low-mid 40s.

He has looked steady, but def not like a one-done to this point. 

12 minutes ago, DWB said:

Leal must have gotten caught sleeping with Woody's daughter (twice) to be in the dog house like he is. Whenever he's on the floor, he plays really hard, makes good decisions. Hasn't shot well (news flash...neither has Bates) and hasn't had enough minutes to get "comfortable" playing. 

Obviously, he's not showing it in practice, or Woody just doesn't trust him, or something else. Really feel bad for the kid.

Eh, in 7 minutes of action he has a Turnover and a rebound.  I recognize that theres more than just a stat sheet.  But I just dont see the need to play him

15 minutes ago, DWB said:

I think Woody loves him as a  teammmate and the 13th guy on the team—he just doesn’t have the quickness needed for winning P5 hoops.