Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB at Xavier - Friday, 11/18/22 @ 6:00 on FS1

19 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Love this.

IU Basketball under Bob Knight was always known for being SMART. Sure, we had lots of talent, but we maximized that talent by making fewer mistakes. Hopefully Woody will incorporate that level of responsibility in our guys.

Remember the Steve Alford charity calendar fiasco? When that whole thing broke publicly Alford and the sorority were arguing back and forth in front of Knight over responsibility: Alford said he told them he was glad to help with the cause as long as they cleared it through the Athletic Department; the sorority girls claimed he had not made such a request.

Knight finally pulled Alford aside. “Their eligibility wasn’t at stake, Steve. YOUR eligibility was. You should have checked it out yourself.”

That level of personal responsibility ended up getting us a National Championship a year later. (Well, having Keith Smart helped, too )

It's why analytics is such a big deal in sports and business. Collect the data, turn it into useful information, and put your players in the best situations to win (or to make the most money).

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Because they are humans and aren’t perfect and shouldn’t be penalized for something that isn’t a factor. Just like Xavier wasn’t penalized 

If it is a point of emphasis, it IS a factor.

Is it a dumb rule? Maybe. And should it be applied equally? Without question.

But all because it may be a stupid rule or another team wasn’t called when maybe they should have, all that matters in the end is “did WE do anything which we could be penalized for?”

That’s the ONLY thing that matters. Control what YOU can control. 

30 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Definitely agree on Race, he's off to a rough start to the year and needs to get that figured out. He's going to be left open from 3 if he continues shooting like that.

I would LOVE for My bad to not only continue to shoot 58% from 3 but take more shots from there and zero from inside the arc. ~1.75 is far higher than ~.8. That is winning basketball. I believe he had a few great shooting noncon games last season too. Consistency from deep is the key here and what I've been saying for a year plus.

Are you suggesting the team not learn from their mistakes? Goodness I hope Woody isn't running the program like that.

32 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Definitely agree on Race, he's off to a rough start to the year and needs to get that figured out. He's going to be left open from 3 if he continues shooting like that.

I would LOVE for My bad to not only continue to shoot 58% from 3 but take more shots from there and zero from inside the arc. ~1.75 is far higher than ~.8. That is winning basketball. I believe he had a few great shooting noncon games last season too. Consistency from deep is the key here and what I've been saying for a year plus.

Are you suggesting the team not learn from their mistakes? Goodness I hope Woody isn't running the program like that.

Exactly what I'm saying! Stay the same, don't improve, don't learn from their mistakes! 

48 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

If it is a point of emphasis, it IS a factor.

Is it a dumb rule? Maybe. And should it be applied equally? Without question.

But all because it may be a stupid rule or another team wasn’t called when maybe they should have, all that matters in the end is “did WE do anything which we could be penalized for?”

That’s the ONLY thing that matters. Control what YOU can control. 

But I think you are asking players to control normal human responses.  

And the message the refs had established by allowing the bench to get on X was that it WAS going to be allowed.  

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

But I think you are asking players to control normal human responses.  

And the message the refs had established by allowing the bench to get on X was that it WAS going to be allowed.  

Oh, I don’t disagree. 

But you’re on the road. You aren’t going to get those calls, more often than not.

Is it fair? Hell no.

But don’t get drawn into something that hurts your team. Luckily, it didn’t ultimately cost us.

2 hours ago, lillurk said:

Ok, some reflections from Friday’s game:

1. You expect role players, especially younger ones, to struggle on the road, moreso early in the year. I’m not worried about JHS, Bates, or Geronimo based on this game.

2. JHS had a nice game EXCEPT shooting.

3. Reneau did all that in 16 minutes. Very few teams have one big as good as he is, let alone more than that.

4. As we might’ve guessed, pretty clear the true rotation is the starters plus Trey, Geronimo, Bates, and Reneau.

5. I think XU is pretty good, as others have said. Seems clear they’ll shoot well but I would also suggest they outperformed shooting expectation on Friday.

6. Conversely IU may have underperformed slightly from 3. Kopp and Thompson, in particular, had open looks they’ll hit more than not and missed them.

7. haven’t mentioned the two stars yet…what’s left to say? Enjoy the ride.

Okay a couple more I meant to mention:

8. Huge deal that Reneau and TJD can play together.

9. related to #5 above, seems like XU has a genuinely quite good offense. So I’m not too worried about IU’s defense based on Friday’s  performance. And actually, the offensive performance has me more optimistic about that side of the ball this year l, given they scored pretty well without many guys having strong games on that end.

5 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

First game against real competition.  Emotions are going to be high and kids will be fired up.   3rd game of the year.   Kids and coaches are learning how refs are going to call the games this year.   I’m guessing the staff will address this.  If it’s something that’s still costing points later in the year then it will be problem but this early on in the feel out process not a big deal in my opinion   Every game each player makes winning and losing plays.   There is no such thing  as a perfect game.    These kids  are not robots no matter what team you are talking about.      While I’m typing this Tulsa kid hits a 3 to start the game and just  got hit with a Tech while going back down the court.   All teams are going to have to adjust to this all year  

Do you think so, or does it seem like the annual "emphasis" tends to mellow out by conference play each year? 

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Do you think so, or does it seem like the annual "emphasis" tends to mellow out by conference play each year? 

Whatever the emphasis happens to be each season, the refs seem to stop emphasizing it after the first 2 or 3 weeks of the season. After that it tends to revert back to same old, same old. Unless the refs want to influence a game later on, that is. Then they seem to all of a sudden remember the emphasis. 

1 hour ago, bigrod said:

A question that really has no significance, but I missed it if they gave a reason: Why did Xavier wear their road uniforms for the game?

And of a different shade of blue, compared to usual. 

A question that really has no significance, but I missed it if they gave a reason: Why did Xavier wear their road uniforms for the game?
I thought they were throwbacks??? If not then I'm not sure what that was. I was surprised IU didn't wear their home unis since they wore those.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk