Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB at Xavier - Friday, 11/18/22 @ 6:00 on FS1

9 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

In my opinion, he wasn’t overly demonstrative to draw attention of the official, whereas X and Malik were.

The Xavier player who should have gotten T’d up was Jones when he fouled out. He was bitching in a very demonstrably fashion and most certainly deserved one.

Anyone upset that it wasn’t called “evenly” isn’t being realistic. It’s a road game. What SHOULD happen vs what does is a reality you have to deal with. What is encouraging, though, is even though we got called for two techs and Xavier wasn’t T’d up when they probably deserved to be, we still left town with a win.

Very fair and realistic take. Can't expect to get the 50-50 calls on the road. I watched the game after the fact and thought that our guys didn't deserve the criticism they got in the game thread. Also didn't think the officiating was that bad. I didn't agree with the techs but I wasn't where the officials were and didn't hear or see what they did. I don't think they set out to give one team or the other an advantage. Overall, I'm happy to get a road win over a good team that will win a lot of games. A year ago I believe we lose that game.

1 hour ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

In my opinion, he wasn’t overly demonstrative to draw attention of the official, whereas X and Malik were.

Weird that you don't want to answer the question, but ok.  

He didn't draw the attention of the official for *whatever* reason, but he definitely deserved it based upon precedent.

18 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

@Uspshoosier Is taunting something officials are concentrating on this season? I've been multitasking while watching other games this season but I believe this was brought up in another game.

Not that I was aware of before Jackson said it on the broadcast.   The new rule that they have to enforce is the class B technical for flopping.   I will try to look it up to see if I missed something on the emphasis for the taunting

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Agree about a better option but Kopp is not good. Kopp had two silly turnovers that counted as turnovers and at least two other shots that were turnovers. He shouldn't shoot anything inside the arc, ever. He airballed a floater (?) bad. He chucked one that wasn't close to going in. (up against the shot clock). He wasn't as bad in this game but he is consistently over helping, leaving his man for WIDE OPEN looks from deep.

If he would have doubled his makes on just one more shot... he's a little above average at the one thing we need him to be great.

He hit a 15 foot baseline jumper in the first half

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He hit a 15 foot baseline jumper in the first half

Okay? Awesome!! (?) He was like 1-4 (+/- 1) from inside the arc in the first half. (That's not good and is losing basketball) I believe he was under 40% from inside the arc last season. Thank you for making the point clear in recalling his one make from inside the arc in the first half.

33 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Okay? Awesome!! (?) He was like 1-4 (+/- 1) from inside the arc in the first half. (That's not good and is losing basketball) I believe he was under 40% from inside the arc last season. Thank you for making the point clear in recalling his one make from inside the arc in the first half.

To say that's losing basketball, after a big road win, seems a little like wishful thinking. Not a huge MK fan myself, but the guy did score some crucial points down the stretch (=winning basketball). e & e

8 minutes ago, J34 said:

To say that's losing basketball, after a big road win, seems a little like wishful thinking. Not a huge MK fan myself, but the guy did score some crucial points down the stretch (=winning basketball). e & e

48 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Going 1 for 4 on 2 pointers is not good and is losing basketball. IU didn't beat Xavier, on the road, (can we say this again now?) because Kopp went 1 for 4 from inside the arc in the first half. Try to separate the different aspects of the game, find what worked and what didn't work. Kopp going 1 for 4 is something that didn't work, this is an area that we can improve on by him not shooting those (more proof is from a full season).

Why is that wishful thinking? That makes no sense. I would love for the team to improve and be even more efficient on offense. Part of that is knowing what is and isn't a good shot. Kopp shooting from inside the arc has been proven to be not good.

XJ and Reneau getting techs is not good and losing basketball too. The fact they made fantastic plays before the techs is winning basketball, getting pumped and showing attitude is winning basketball. However, getting the tech is losing basketball. (and yet we won the game!!) You see how there can be positive and negative effects there? Increase the good while decreasing the bad and you increase your chances at winning more big road games!! (maybe this is the wishful thinking part?)

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Going 1 for 4 on 2 pointers is not good and is losing basketball. IU didn't beat Xavier, on the road, (can we say this again now?) because Kopp went 1 for 4 from inside the arc in the first half. Try to separate the different aspects of the game, find what worked and what didn't work. Kopp going 1 for 4 is something that didn't work, this is an area that we can improve on by him not shooting those (more proof is from a full season).

Why is that wishful thinking? That makes no sense. I would love for the team to improve and be even more efficient on offense. Part of that is knowing what is and isn't a good shot. Kopp shooting from inside the arc has been proven to be not good.

XJ and Reneau getting techs is not good and losing basketball too. The fact they made fantastic plays before the techs is winning basketball, getting pumped and showing attitude is winning basketball. However, getting the tech is losing basketball. (and yet we won the game!!) You see how there can be positive and negative effects there? Increase the good while decreasing the bad and you increase your chances at winning more big road games!! (maybe this is the wishful thinking part?)

You're only as good as your last shot. When you bury a 3 and knock down 2 free throws in crunch time, that's winning basketball. The rest is paralysis by over analalys! On to the next one.

12 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Agree about a better option but Kopp is not good. Kopp had two silly turnovers that counted as turnovers and at least two other shots that were turnovers. He shouldn't shoot anything inside the arc, ever. He airballed a floater (?) bad. He chucked one that wasn't close to going in. (up against the shot clock). He wasn't as bad in this game but he is consistently over helping, leaving his man for WIDE OPEN looks from deep.

If he would have doubled his makes on just one more shot... he's a little above average at the one thing we need him to be great.

I disagree.  I’m in the camp that doesn't get the Kopp hate.  I have never really understood it.  He is by far our best option at the position.  He knocked down the baseline jumper after he put it on the floor in the first half.  He made a huge three and free throws in crunch time.  His defense is very underrated.  He continues to get his hands on a lot of balls and is usually in the right place.  I noticed in the first half he had a couple of digs and deflections that caused them to get hung up.  He also forced a turnover because he was in the right place and they turned it over because he was basically just in the way.  His perimeter defense is tough and underrated and he is always talking out there.  He will get beat off the dribble by elite athletes so I’m not saying he’s perfect.

I just think a lot of the criticism he receives on here is unfair.  I want Kopp playing a lot of minutes on this team.

2 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I disagree.  I’m in the camp that doesn't get the Kopp hate.  I have never really understood it.  He is by far our best option at the position.  He knocked down the baseline jumper after he put it on the floor in the first half.  He made a huge three and free throws in crunch time.  His defense is very underrated.  He continues to get his hands on a lot of balls and is usually in the right place.  I noticed in the first half he had a couple of digs and deflections that caused them to get hung up.  He also forced a turnover because he was in the right place and they turned it over because he was basically just in the way.  His perimeter defense is tough and underrated and he is always talking out there.  He will get beat off the dribble by elite athletes so I’m not saying he’s perfect.

I just think a lot of the criticism he receives on here is unfair.  I want Kopp playing a lot of minutes on this team.

Me too.

Miller Kopp is our best catch and shoot player, and while he is limited athletically, he knows how to play and doesn’t try to do too much.

The problem for me is that I've bought into the legendary stories about Kopp being a 90% 3 point shooter from Northwestern. Every time it leaves his hands I get Jordan Hulls vibes and when it klanks off the rim I'm left with a feeling of extreme disappointment. He probably make his 90 percent in practice, is a vocal leader veteran, and works his butt off. I'm sure that's how he earns his min. Just wish he'd produce more in games. I feel that it's less hate in him and more disappointment with expectations in his production.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, Josh said:

Weird that you don't want to answer the question, but ok.  

He didn't draw the attention of the official for *whatever* reason, but he definitely deserved it based upon precedent.

And you really think you’re going to get that on the road? Really?

I’d just as soon EVERYONE shut up and play. But whining about “he deserved one, too” doesn’t change the fact that those two techs COULD HAVE cost IU the game. 

You can only control what you can control. If you feel like you need to talk smack, do it discreetly - or you are taking the chance of getting T’d up and getting beat because of it. 

9 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Do you really think Maliks T was demonstrative?
X’s was iffy but Malik’s T was a joke.

After reviewing it on the game broadcast I gotta admit it wasn’t as demonstrative as it looked initially. But he did hesitate, and if he said anything the official was right in front of the play. Likely why he got T’d.

Freemantle stared back after his dunk - but he was running away back down the court. Jones should have gotten T’d up when he fouled out, without question. But, again, it’s the road; more often than not, calls AREN’T going to go your way. Expecting everything to be “fair” isn’t being realistic.

But that was a helluva win. X always plays tough in Cintas. In 2016, Villanova’s last loss before winning a National Championship was a 15-point beatdown laid on them at Cintas. And the “Let’s Go Hoosiers” chant by IU fans near the end of the game was something that has never happened before, ever, by the opposing team’s fans. There were some pissed off Xavier people after the game at season ticket holders who sold their seats for $$.

11 hours ago, cthomas said:

Very fair and realistic take. Can't expect to get the 50-50 calls on the road. I watched the game after the fact and thought that our guys didn't deserve the criticism they got in the game thread. Also didn't think the officiating was that bad. I didn't agree with the techs but I wasn't where the officials were and didn't hear or see what they did. I don't think they set out to give one team or the other an advantage. Overall, I'm happy to get a road win over a good team that will win a lot of games. A year ago I believe we lose that game.

Listen, I’m a big Xavier fan as well. Daughter graduated there in 2017 and love the place like a 2nd home. The game was brutal for me because I love both teams, IU just slightly more.

I’ll be honest: Cintas nearly ALWAYS favors the home team on calls. But most home courts are like that. And X almost always plays tough there in big games. Only time I can remember when they didn’t is when ‘Nova beat them in 2018, where Xavier won the BE and was a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

11 hours ago, Southside said:

Won't pretend that I think we are ready for UNC or Kansas, but the Xavier win will likely "age well"... 

Xavier will win a lot of games, and might be a dance team. 

Good road win. Just need to keep improving. 

I will be shocked if X doesn’t get In come March. That’s a good team.