Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB at Xavier - Friday, 11/18/22 @ 6:00 on FS1

Fans are supposed to. Players can get T’d up for it - and cost their team points. And possibly the game.
Is stopping and woofing towards the opponent worth that much? Argue all you want about whether it should be called or not, but is it really worth it? Versus what it might cost you?
I do agree with you that it's not worth it to do it. I just don't like where this mentality has brought sports in general. Everyone is so stinking sensitive these days. It used to be called gamesmanship. When stuff like the brawl at the palace happens, it changes sports and how they are officiated and handled. I don't like it, but it is the condition of what we have today. I prefer to let the kids play through it, but if they are going to call it, it's best to stay away from doing it.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Good road win. Not really seeing a lot of progression from returning players. The only difference in this team is the addition of 2 talented FR and one of them massively over achieving. I'll say Galloway's shot looks better but that could've easily been just him working his butt off and asking Hulls for help. Am I the only one concerned by the fact that everyone of these guys seem to have the same issues as last year? Cintas is a tough place to play and Xavier seems to have some competitors on their team so happy to get the W but man we need to see some guys progress throughout this season. 3-0, should be 6-0 when UNC comes to the Hall and I hope wee see improvement.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Just now, mbredenk101 said:

I do agree with you that it's not worth it to do it. I just don't like where this mentality has brought sports in general. Everyone is so stinking sensitive these days. It used to be called gamesmanship. When stuff like the brawl at the palace happens, it changes sports and how they are officiated and handled. I don't like it, but it is the condition of what we have today. I prefer to let the kids play through it, but if they are going to call it, it's best to stay away from doing it.

Some guys do it to pump themselves up, I get that. Some guys try to get in the head of the opposition (cue Reggie Miller), I get that, too.

Still in Cincinnati at our hotel and haven’t watched the replay. If it is true the announcers said it’s a point of emphasis this year, even more reason to be restrained. I’d have hated to have lost last night because we wanted to “one up” the other team. Not worth it.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you just made my point by highlighting the hypocrisy of it all. So, the home team can taunt but the road team can't? 

Players don't care about the trash talk. It's part of the game. They honestly don't care. It's the adults (rule makers, refs and fans) that make this stuff a big deal. 

According to TJD, the Xavier bench was taunting XJ and then he turned around (didn't say anything) after hitting the 3. 

Why no tech for the Xavier bench? 

I agree with you. But you really think you’re going to get the calls on the road? Why take the bait and get caught up in that?

1 minute ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Some guys do it to pump themselves up, I get that. Some guys try to get in the head of the opposition (cue Reggie Miller), I get that, too.

Still in Cincinnati at our hotel and haven’t watched the replay. If it is true the announcers said it’s a point of emphasis this year, even more reason to be restrained. I’d have hated to have lost last night because we wanted to “one up” the other team. Not worth it.

LMAO.  Then the refs should have called them both ways.

2 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

I agree with you. But you really think you’re going to get the calls on the road? Why take the bait and get caught up in that?

Who got caught up in anything? 

I think officials made calls/determinations before there was even anything to call. That's on them, not our kids. 

Lots of soft officials. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Who got caught up in anything? 

I think officials made calls/determinations before there was even anything to call. That's on them, not our kids. 

The techs, within reason, don't bother me. Officiating in general is a soft profession. 

It was posted TJD said Xavier’s bench was taunting Johnson, then he turned and hesitated running back down court to taunt back. 

2 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

I’m not going to argue if we should have received the techs, or downplay that they have a serious impact on the game. 

But I also can’t help but admit that there is a part of me that absolutely loves seeing the Dog in some of these guys…especially Reneau and X. We have lacked a grit and edge for so darn long, I love seeing guys refuse to get pushed around. If these techs were for dirty plays or seriously unsportsmanlike , I’d have a different tune. But a couple guys saying I’m f’ing here you better respect me…the competitor in me freaking loves it. 

I can agree with this. Gotta love how these guys compete - especially Reneau. Kid is gonna be a force to be reckoned with.

Just now, Tasmanian Devil said:

It was posted TJD said Xavier’s bench was taunting Johnson, then he turned and hesitated running back down court to taunt back. 

I am starting to think that you are more of a Xavier fan than an IU fan.

I went back and watched Geronimo’s minutes. 

The first 3min were when the second unit was outscored 7-1. Geronimo has the one point but he got fouled because he bobbled an easy pass to him for a layup. He fouled trying to guard on the perimeter once and missed a blockout leading to an offensive rebound, otherwise he was fine but largely ineffective.  

His final 2min were at the end of the first at the four spot subbed in with the starters. They were +/- 0 during that stretch (although add me to the list of people that think XJs tech was ticky tacky). Geronimo’s play seemed fine but he didn’t do anything of note either. Race replaced him after a couple min as the full starting lineup closed out the half. 

I think others made this point, but it simply comes down to TJD played 37min. Malik and Race took the other mins at the 4, and Malik played well. TJD’s extra minutes are going to come at the expense of Geronimo because Malik and Race are ahead of him and he isn’t trusted to play the 3 yet. To wit, his one foul came trying to guard on the perimeter and his one turnover came trying to dribble in the open court. 

For all the things we think Geronimo can do because of his potential, he largely didn’t do anything. That whole second platoon unit was wildly ineffective which is probably why nobody besides Malik and Trey played very meaningful minutes down the stretch. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. As a coach you'd rather have to work to tone some of that down as opposed to having to coach your guys to care. 

I'll take XJ and Reneau's emotion every day of the week and twice on Sunday, vs the robot like and emotionless play we watched for 4 years under Archie. 

This x 1000.

Cant complain about the heart these guys have. Or how they compete.

1 hour ago, mbredenk101 said:

The techs were garbage. I work with high school students on a daily basis, and so many of them worry about this person or that person looking at them or saying things to them. I try to teach them not to listen to it or to not let themselves be bothered by it. This is without the heat of competition involved. Add that in, and I can see why the refs want to try to curb it. But my opinion sits where these players are not robots, and taunting/trash talk is part of sports. The players need to learn how to handle it without the refs affecting the game. It was not called consistently and Xavier (the team) could stare down whoever they wanted.

Could Larry Bird even play today?   He trash talked more than just about anyone. The stories are legendary. :)

1 hour ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

I’m not in favor of staring down guys, either. Whether that should be called or not can be debated.

But you CAN’T woof toward an opponent - especially the opponent’s bench - right in front of the official and expect to get by with it. If it’s true that the announcers said it’s a point of emphasis this year, even more of a reason to keep yourself in check.

Again, I go back to this: What do you GAIN by doing it vs what it could COST you? Control the things you can control.

I want our players talking ****, staring guys down, etc. Sometimes you’ll get T’d up for it but that’s ok. The advantages of having that mentality outweigh a few techs here and there.