Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB at Xavier - Friday, 11/18/22 @ 6:00 on FS1

Our Hoosiers have been snake bit for years. For the most part we cannot sustain a lead.

Weren’t we up 8 or 9 in the second half?

Need to keep it and pull away. It’s been a long time since we’ve been able to do that.

Regardless…. GO HOOSIERS!!

So you think Geronimo makes a lot of mistakes yet should get more PT? Color me confused. 

It’s simple really. Geronimo can do things that no one on the roster can do. He’s a right spot, right time rebounder. Can hit a three. Can play against bigs. He offers so much. He isn’t Bates level of bad decision making but it’s not good enough either. My hope and we’ve seen it at times, is he can be coached out of those errors. Biggest upside player getting split minutes.

X is kinda this example at the guard spot. Some awful decision making at times but he can make plays as well. It’s a bit of Ying and Yang.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I'll take a road win against a legit team. I'm not convinced IU is as improved as we hoped- but they do seem more poised and the bench is better than last season, even if it wasn't stellar tonight. Overall I think a 12-15 ranking seems about right. Unfortunately, it's starting to appear the conference is gonna be pretty rugged afterall.....Illinois and MSU in particular have looked much better than I expected. 

57 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s simple really. Geronimo can do things that no one on the roster can do. He’s a right spot, right time rebounder. Can hit a three. Can play against bigs. He offers so much. He isn’t Bates level of bad decision making but it’s not good enough either. My hope and we’ve seen it at times, is he can be coached out of those errors. Biggest upside player getting split minutes.

X is kinda this example at the guard spot. Some awful decision making at times but he can make plays as well. It’s a bit of Ying and Yang.

Completely agree…For the record, every guy on this team is mistake prone at times. I don’t know why Geronimo (less than 1 TO/game) is being categorized as more so than anyone else. He shoots the 3 at the same % as Kopp yet manages to shoot 50% from the floor (Kopp at 35%). Geronimo could be an absolute X factor on Defense. How many 1-7; 2-9; 3-11 type games (while giving up double figures on defense every night out) does Woodson need to see before he gives someone/anyone else a shot?

Almost guaranteed to be a quad one victory (road game against top 75) + a road win.  Both important to the committee for seeding.

Torvik has Xavier as the #26 team after the game;  KenPom has them at #35.  This is an excellent win to get early in the year.

IU up to #10 on Torvik, #8 on KenPom.

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He seems like a really good kid that’s a good athlete for sure.  He can hit the outside jumper and that’s nice.  He has a long way to go in terms of basketball skills and I don’t know if he will ever get there or not.  I mean dribbling and catching/holding onto the ball is an adventure.  If you compare his basketball skills to Reneau you can see the difference.  

I don’t know where he fits on this team.  He can’t play the three that’s for certain. Race and TJD are going to play a ton and Reneau needs as many minutes as possible.  That leaves little minutes for Geronimo.  I like how Woodson handled his minutes tonight.  He got in the game in the first half played 5 minutes and didn’t play well so he didn’t play again.  I suspect he will get another chance Sunday night and if he plays well he might see a few more minutes but if not he won’t play.  I do think he will have games where he will contribute but he will also have games like tonight.  His biggest opportunity to play will be if those three guys are in significant foul trouble.

I think a lot of fans are still waiting for him to ‘arrive’ but chasing his athleticism is fools gold.  He is an athlete that lacks some serious basketball skills.
I don’t like the comparison to X.  X makes some boneheaded plays for sure but he is a very highly skilled basketball player.  Geronimo is not.  A lot of fans I think see the athlete he is and just assume certain things.  I mean their has even been talk on here in the past comparing his trajectory to Oladipo and that’s just not who he is.  

8 hours ago, J34 said:

You were there, correct? 

Yep, one helluva game.

Atmosphere was electric. As I said before the game, Xavier is so tough at Cintas.

If Colby Jones was injured, he didn’t show it; kid played 36 minutes. 

We had two INCREDIBLY stupid T’s from Johnson and Reneau for taunting. A really bad TO from Johnson up 6 with less than a minute to go which The Musketeers turned into a 3-pt play.

And still came out with the win.

Lots to be proud of, yet still a lot we can do better. Perfect early-season test that we passed.

E52FD4B3-4D01-4011-AE5C-5F4E1F11F708.jpeg

It is not realistic to watch IU's performance against Xavier and believe we will beat North Carolina, Kansas and Arizona. Maybe IU beats Arizona if TJD and X shoot as well as they did against Xavier. The team looked like they did much of last year with the addition of Reneau, who looks ready make an impact. Hood-Schafino appears to be a very talented player except he can't shoot. Geronimo looked just as lost on defense as he did most of the time last year. Bates and Galloway scored zero points between them. Race Thompson was zero for four from 3-point range. Maybe IU is a top 25 team, but definitely not a top 10 team which means it is highly unlikely they will beat bona fide top 10 teams like North Carolina and Kansas.

Yep.
You CAN’T taunt anyone right in front of the official and expert to get away with it - especially Johnson right in front of the Xavier bench. Incredibly stupid. Shut up and play!

I just hope that we see technicals called that way every game then. I know I will be watching for it. We better see other teams get techs for the same types of things. If they do, then I have no problem with the 2 techs last night.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, taco corp said:

I just hope that we see technicals called that way every game then. I know I will be watching for it. We better see other teams get techs for the same types of things. If they do, then I have no problem with the 2 techs last night.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I understand what you’re saying, but both of those were BAD. Right in front of the ref each time. No way you’re gonna get away with that - especially on the road.

Those are technical fouls that SHOULD be called every time. But we can’t worry about whether or not they are called on the other team; we need to be concerned about ourselves. Damn, those almost cost us the game.

20 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Yep.

You CAN’T taunt anyone right in front of the official and expert to get away with it - especially Johnson right in front of the Xavier bench. Incredibly stupid. Shut up and play!

Oh lord. GET OFF MY LAWN

19 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

It is not realistic to watch IU's performance against Xavier and believe we will beat North Carolina, Kansas and Arizona. Maybe IU beats Arizona if TJD and X shoot as well as they did against Xavier. The team looked like they did much of last year with the addition of Reneau, who looks ready make an impact. Hood-Schafino appears to be a very talented player except he can't shoot. Geronimo looked just as lost on defense as he did most of the time last year. Bates and Galloway scored zero points between them. Race Thompson was zero for four from 3-point range. Maybe IU is a top 25 team, but definitely not a top 10 team which means it is highly unlikely they will beat bona fide top 10 teams like North Carolina and Kansas.

Carolina sure as heck hasn't been playing like a bona fide Top 10 team.  And Kansas dang near got beat by Southern Utah at home.

4 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

We GAVE them 4 points for those two actions. 

What do you gain by doing that?

What do you lose by doing that?

If I’m Woodson, I’m letting both guys have it. Those are the kind of plays that get you beat. Gotta be better.

No the refs gave them 4 points. Both were pathetic calls.