Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB at Xavier - Friday, 11/18/22 @ 6:00 on FS1

24 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I missed most of the first half. Was there a reason Geronimo only played 5 minutes? 

Was he pretty bad in the time he did get? 

Same reason his minutes were limited last year, he gets lost on defense and is prone to mental errors.  

He’s probably the most physically talented guy on the team. If he ever puts it together, watch out. But woody clearly doesn’t trust him yet. Fwiw—all the people wondering why kopp plays the minutes he does, it’s basically the exact inverse of what I wrote about Geronimo. 

2 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

Kopp's game resembles my golf game in that I suck most of the time but then I hit that one booming drive down the middle of the fairway that makes me think I can eventually become a tour pro.....

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

On the 18th hole, right as you're telling yourself you won't be back on the course for a good while.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That was an incredible game. Played tough. I generally liked who got the minutes and when.

X was X-ceptional but the boneheaded plays…….nearly cost us a W.

I think Geronimo needs more run. Some of Galloways minutes maybe.

Bates, X, Geronimo make a lot of bad decisions. I really want Bates to be better. Geronimo is plenty good. He’ll get a lot of minutes. Reneau needs to play a TON. Not sure what that means for Race.

JHS didn’t ever get a benefit of the doubt whistle. But he was rough. Maybe a little nervous. I expect he’ll be better but if the one n done talk is going to continue a lot will need to change in the bigger games. I want him back 1 Mo season anyhow, so we’ll see.

Love winning. Road wins are extra sweet!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I disagree with some things here so maybe we were watching a different game.

It was a great game and I loved the toughness and fight we showed in a tough environment against a quality team. 

I think maybe Coach Woodson heard me at halftime.  Geronimo and Bates played…..well let’s just say they were not good.  I liked that he shortened the rotation in the 2nd half.

I’m all for having depth but it must be quality depth.  Those two got in early but just did not play well.  I don’t know the path for Geronimo to get minutes. Race and Reneau are going to play a ton.  No way he should cut into Galloways minutes.  

Again I like depth and if I’m Coach Woodson I don’t know how long I go to Geronimo and Bates before I either shorten the bench like he did in the 2nd half or give those minutes to Banks and Gunn to see what they got.  Hopefully they just had bad nights and will play better Sunday.

Only got to see parts of the game. What did see, I was disappointed with the on ball defense. We looked a step slow and unable to control the ball. We also will have to get to shooters from help a lot quicker. That said we continued to play and got home with a win. Xavier seemed kinda punkish to me. Maybe taking the personality of their coach.

Same reason his minutes were limited last year, he gets lost on defense and is prone to mental errors.  

He’s probably the most physically talented guy on the team. If he ever puts it together, watch out. But woody clearly doesn’t trust him yet. Fwiw—all the people wondering why kopp plays the minutes he does, it’s basically the exact inverse of what I wrote about Geronimo. 
Can't play Geronimo at the 3, trayce had to play the entire second half and Malik had to be in the game as well. No minutes in the second half to give to Geronimo.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, maharkn said:

Can't play Geronimo at the 3, trayce had to play the entire second half and Malik had to be in the game as well. No minutes in the second half to give to Geronimo.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Agree. But the reason you can’t play him at the 3 is because of mental errors. He’s athletic enough to play the 3 on defense and shoots it well enough on offense. Woody clearly trusts Kopp and Geronimo more despite not being as physically talented. 

14 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Geronimo is an athlete who’s trying to learn how to be a basketball player, imo. Contest him with a guy like Reneau. You can immediately see how skilled of a basketball player he is. We have a giant hole at the wing. It’d be great if JG could fill it. But he doesn’t have the skills at this point. 

41 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think Geronimo needs more run. Some of Galloways minutes maybe.

Bates, X, Geronimo make a lot of bad decisions.

So you think Geronimo makes a lot of mistakes yet should get more PT? Color me confused. 

55 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I disagree with some things here so maybe we were watching a different game.

It was a great game and I loved the toughness and fight we showed in a tough environment against a quality team. 

I think maybe Coach Woodson heard me at halftime.  Geronimo and Bates played…..well let’s just say they were not good.  I liked that he shortened the rotation in the 2nd half.

I’m all for having depth but it must be quality depth.  Those two got in early but just did not play well.  I don’t know the path for Geronimo to get minutes.  Race and Reneau are going to play a ton.  No way he should cut into Galloways minutes.  

Again I like depth and if I’m Coach Woodson I don’t know how long I go to Geronimo and Bates before I either shorten the bench like he did in the 2nd half or give those minutes to Banks and Gunn to see what they got.

Thing is it’s one game and you’re just ignoring the games leading up to this one, in which JG was strong all around, and the NCAA tourney, in which he was one of the best on the floor on both ends. 
He and Bates came into this game and played poorly. It’s one game. Like the first game this year when he came in trying too hard and played bad, followed by 2 strong games. I’m happy to bet you he plays well, again, and probably Sunday

Just now, Tasmanian Devil said:

This game was torture for me because I love both teams.

If anyone is disappointed in this game, get over yourself. That’s a damn good road win over a damn good team who plays tough in their house. They’re going to win a lot of games.

But IU can really build on that win. Didn’t play nearly as well as they could and still win in a hostile environment. Nice job, guys.

You were there, correct?