Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

IUMS NCAA Tournament Thread

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m still a little salty about that game. I hate playing sports on terrible fields 

I'm still salty because I hated how they looked so much faster and more athletic than us. It was obvious by early in the second half we were just trying to get to penalty kicks because we couldn't keep up with them. 

54 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm still salty because I hated how they looked so much faster and more athletic than us. It was obvious by early in the second half we were just trying to get to penalty kicks because we couldn't keep up with them. 

The 9th star was right there….

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

The 9th star was right there….

As was the 2017 year vs Stanford. It will come. Not as confident this year but we will nab 9.

We do need a reload of talent, not sure what we have rolling in recruiting though. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I think given the field conditions and the fact Marshall was the better passing team that the strategy was the right call.  Just bad/dumb luck that our defender was the person to slip in a crucial spot on the field and not theirs 

49 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Winner will get either Stanford or UNC Greensboro in the Elite 8. Imagine if IU beats Marshall and then Stanford, would be nice to avenge those Final losses to them

Elite 8 is def on road. Both seeds moved on so if IU defeats Marshall they will play AT Stanford/UNC Greensboro winner. I am skeptical they can beat the Cardinal. Beating the Thundering Herd or Spartans is def possible though.

Next up is Marshall set for 6:30 Sunday evening, 11/27/22.   Temperature in the mid 40's; 10 mph WNW wind and no rain.  ESPN+ will broadcast the match.

Live Stats

No. 13 national seed Indiana men's soccer (11-4-6, 3-1-4 B1G) will host the Marshall Thundering Herd (11-3-4, 4-1-3 SBC) Sunday (Nov. 27) night in the NCAA Tournament Third Round. Kickoff is set from 6:30 p.m. ET on Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Tickets are available to purchase here. IU students that show their Crimson Card may attend the match for free.

Fans can also stream the match via the ESPN+ digital platform.

SETTING THE SCENE
• Indiana is making its eighth consecutive NCAA Tournament Third Round appearance, the longest active streak in NCAA DI men's soccer.
• The match is guaranteed to be IU's final home match of the 2022 season. IU is 8-1-3 at Bill Armstrong Stadium, earning six clean sheets on its home ground.
• Sunday's contest is a rematch of the 2020 NCAA College Cup final. The Thundering Herd denied IU's ninth star with a 98th minute golden goal that clinched their program's first-ever national championship. It was the first-ever meeting between the programs.
• The winner of Sunday's match will advance to play the winner of No. 5-seeded Stanford and No. 12 UNC Greensboro. That corresponding match will be played at 8 p.m. ET, and the winner will host the quarterfinal contest.• Though un-seeded, Marshall comes in ranked as highly as No. 8 by Top Drawer Soccer. Indiana owns a 5-1-3 season record against ranked opponents.
• First-team All-Big Ten honoree and redshirt senior Ryan Wittenbrink leads IU in goals (9), assists (8) and points (26) and has provided a goal contribution in each of his last six matches played (three goals, three assists), including the game-winning goal against Saint Louis in the NCAA Tournament Second Round.

ABOUT THE THUNDERING HERD
• Marshall comes into the match with a 11-3-4 record and a 4-1-3 mark in Sun Belt Conference play. The Thundering Herd toppled No. 4 national seed Virginia in the second round via penalty kicks.
• The Thundering Herd are led by sixth-year head coach Chris Grassie, who has compiled a 56-28-13 record at Marshall and a 155-48-21 career record over 12 seasons as a head coach.
• Four Marshall student-athletes have tallied double-digit points this season, led by freshman forward Matthew Bell's 24. Bell also leads the team in scoring, with 10 goals. Junior forward Adam Aoumaich owns a team-best nine assists.

SERIES HISTORY
• Indiana and Marshall have met just once: the 2020 NCAA College Cup final. A scoreless tie was broken in the 98th minute when Marshall's Jamil Roberts scored a golden goal to clinch its first NCAA Championship while denying IU's ninth.
• Nine current Hoosiers appeared in that match; Brett Bebej, Herbert Endeley, Maouloune Goumballe, Joey Maher, Daniel Munie, Nyk Sessock all started, and Nate Ward, Ryan Wittenbrink and Ben Yeagley all came off the bench.

Forget about those 10 mph winds I posted yesterday.  Bit of a change in the forecast.

..STRONG WIND GUSTS TODAY... 
Low pressure will track across central Indiana into early afternoon... 
with the potential for winds to become gusty through the morning. 
Southwest wind gusts will peak at 35 to 45 mph this morning...with 
the highest gusts focused across southern and eastern portions of 
central Indiana. By this afternoon...winds will shift to northwest 
and remain in excess of 30 mph at times through sunset. 
Use caution if traveling today...especially if operating a high 
profile vehicle. Secure outdoor object such as holiday decorations.

Good first half. Hoosiers playing good possession buildup and a high press which has caused some Marshall turnovers we made dangerous. Marshall playing a low block and just looking to counterattack. Their European makeup is showing a lot, with guys taking dives and complaining to the refs over nothing. Don’t want to let them hang around and get a cheap goal because we’re the better side. Hopefully Todd will give some instructions at halftime to start suite the left side to advance possession, because that Sarver/Wittenbrink side of the field we way outclass them. Gotta finish. Let’s go boys.