Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Bethune Cookman - Thursday, 11/10/22 @ 8:30 on BTN

How about the Energizer Bunnies? (kind of degrading to young men though...)

Or "Send in the Clones!" since they are just as talented as the starters...

Or "The other first team"

I know...I'm rambling...but it's fun !

When was the last time IU beat an opponent by 50+ points?  I honestly think Bethune-Cookman is as good as Morehead State.  Also, last year we would have beaten them by 28 or less.  That is how much better this team is than last year!!!

9 hours ago, ray said:

I’m still not as impressed by Bates as some others may be, and I hope he can prove his value is more than it was last year. He gets a lot of playing time, so I’m going to assume he’s turning a corner and Woodson sees it. I’m not saying he’s not worthy of playing time, but I’ve not seen yet in a season and a couple games where he deserves the playing time he’s logging. With that said, these early season games are good to utilize him and hopefully get him into his groove. 

Bates is probably the best ball handler of the second 4 with Galloway being a close second. Galloway is the best defender with Bates being a fairly close second. He passes well enough and competes hard. 

Woody obviously values defense, so I suspect Bates continues to see significant time. Although I’m sure none of us would be surprised to see him lose some minutes on nights when he’s throwing up bricks. 

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

Bates is probably the best ball handler of the second 4 with Galloway being a close second. Galloway is the best defender with Bates being a fairly close second. He passes well enough and competes hard. 

Woody obviously values defense, so I suspect Bates continues to see significant time. Although I’m sure none of us would be surprised to see him lose some minutes on nights when he’s throwing up bricks. 

I hope that Bates has a great year. You mention his defense but last night I was thinking guys were getting by him and/or getting him on their hip, a number of times.

14 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I hope that Bates has a great year. You mention his defense but last night I was thinking guys were getting by him and/or getting him on their hip, a number of times.

He did. Galloway got beat, especially off the ball, a several times too. Honestly, as fun as the last two games were, I have thought our defense looked pretty crappy from a fundamental perspective—we obviously smothered them from an athletic standpoint.  Race is another good defender who has looked shoddy. 

I think that sometimes happens when you play bad teams and are winning by 20. It really is the downside to playing truly awful teams and that lack of focus could be an issue versus Xavier.  

But the bottom line is if Bates isn’t a good defender, he won’t play much. I’m fairly confident of that after how Woody handled Geronimo last year.

16 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I'm following player and team stats on a game by game basis, offensive and defensive, I'll post them at times, people often see what their biases drive or what they expect to see.

JG's impact on D, as well as O is showing so far. He's looking strong inside and his perimeter D looks better so far

Early numbers from first two games:

DRtg (defensive rating) (per 100 poss)

1. Ren (63.8) (not counting Banks due to minutes)

2. JG (65.3)

3. Race (70.7) (not counting duncomb, minutes)

4. Bates (72.7) - he has been overall playing better D than last season, early still but better

5. X (72.8)

ORtg

1. Trey (196.8) (not counting Childress)

2. TJD (72,2) (not counting Banks)

3. Kopp (81.1) - obviously from his 4-6 3pt shooting this past game

4. JG (65.3)

5. Bates (72.7)

-- the impact of the 2nd unit is clear

Per 40 Min

1. TJD,

2. JG,

3. Ren

4. Kopp

5. Trey (not counting Banks, duncomb, Gunn)

Boards:

1. TJD

2. Ren

3. JG

4. Trey

5. Race (not counting duncomb, banks)

Assists:

1. X

2. JHS

3. Bates

4. TJD

5. Ren (not counting dumcomb, banks)