Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Bethune Cookman - Thursday, 11/10/22 @ 8:30 on BTN

Fun win against a bad team. It's been a while since IU has had a team which not only blows out team they should, but does so while extending the lead the whole time. Other than blowing their 7-0 lead early, this team was able to double up their opponent and stay doubled. Great to see they didn't let up.

Nice to see them hit open shots and FT. They were focused tonight. 

Great effort defensively for the entire team. Xavier Johnson doesn’t need to score a lot to have an impact if he can remain under control and impose his will defensively as well as find teammates for great looks. I was impressed with the point guard play regardless of their shooting statistics…JHS is a weapon even during an off-shooting night, and even Galloway looked locked in and focused during his short stint at pg. 

The second unit continues to impress me. There’s so little drop off with the 5-in/5-out rotations. That second unit might even continue to do as they have twice in two games thus far and bring enough energy and skill to help the team pull away from their opponents. 

TJD was so efficient, and it was nice to see the entire team shoot free throws like the Hoosier teams of old. 

Three-point shooting can’t realistically remain at the level it is early on, but last night seemed promising. Kopp is on fire, and I hope that continues. It changes the dynamic so much to have his dead-eye from behind the arc. Galloway’s shot form looks much improved. 

I loved seeing Banks take the ball down the court. His free throw shooting was on point. He may not see heavy minutes early, but I think he and Gunn show a lot of promise for the future. Duncomb made me smile the way he forced his will and made sure the Hoosiers reached the century mark  

Reneau is a beast. He’s so smart with his decision making, and the game seems to be at a pace he’s ready for…never getting sped up and always making wise decisions. He is an excellent passer. 

Race will be Race, and he didn’t play a lot of minutes last night, but he and TJD work so well together. 

I’m still not as impressed by Bates as some others may be, and I hope he can prove his value is more than it was last year. He gets a lot of playing time, so I’m going to assume he’s turning a corner and Woodson sees it. I’m not saying he’s not worthy of playing time, but I’ve not seen yet in a season and a couple games where he deserves the playing time he’s logging. With that said, these early season games are good to utilize him and hopefully get him into his groove. 

Leal still appears to be the mop-up-minutes guy Woodson will put in when the game is clearly over. He came in after all freshman and entered the game with our “walk-on” unit. As a former Mr Basketball (understandably during a down year), he seems so happy for his teammates and excited to be in an IU uniform. That says so much about his loyalty and character. 

2 and 0, and a daunting schedule awaits. I haven’t been so excited about IU basketball in many years. I hope there aren’t any early let downs in focus and effort (Xavier next week, for instance) because I really want to see IU still in the top 15 and knocking on the door of the Top-10 when they meet up with the giants on their schedule. 

Now, I’m going to read through everyone’s comments. 

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Bates doesn’t seem to have it quite all together yet but very close. Shouldn’t be much talk about Leal playing this season as he is down with the walk ons. Speaks to our talent level.

I will say I noticed Gallo & a couple of players asking Leal questions when they came out. They know he knows his stuff and can answer all questions. 

This was the most fun I've had since we've started buying tickets in 2009 from a childhood friend who's husband is a big time booster.  Not only did we get to park right in front of the Hall, but the crowd was rocking and the team played well.  Reggie used to play for the Magic so it was fun to see him and we haven't seen Woody since he was an NBA coach.  Just a great night all around!  (The parking spots we get from her are my husband's favorite part!) 

'

46 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think our 2nd unit needs a nickname. Any suggestions?

The Tabbed Five

Tabbed (verb): identified as being suitable for a specified position

In this case, suitable for replacing the starting five without let down