Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Bethune Cookman - Thursday, 11/10/22 @ 8:30 on BTN

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Players tonight who made an real impression on me:

Gallo

JG

Gunn

Banks

Two of them for this year, and two others who have the tools to be rotation players on a top 25 team.

I can't remember the last time that IU had players who could really play but still couldn't break the rotation.  Banks and Gunn -- and even Duncomb -- at their current level of play would be in the rotation on most Big Ten teams IMO.

My guess is with regard to the depth Woody is settling into 3 general lineups: 

-the starters

-the 4 key backups + one of the starting pg’s. 

-hybrid line-up he considers the most talented/highest upside with TJD/Reneau/JHS and 2 of the other wings. My guess on the last two positions is that the premium will be on defense and 3pt shooting.

For that last lineup, I wonder if he’ll play it game to game or if he’s looking for 2 wings to permanently cement themselves in that 20-30min a night role. The latter would be a more “NBA style” of approaching it. My guess is that the group of X, Galloway, Kopp, Bates and maybe Geronimo will remain so streaky that Woody will go game by game. 

I kind of like the platoon thing but there’s going to be many games where TJD is on the floor ~35min. You’ll probably need one of the pg’s too, so that’ll naturally bring us to a more typical 8 man rotation.  

One final thought: this game showed that the guys worked on all the typical areas everyone thought they needed to improve in the off-season. Good on them, but it’ll continue to be a work in progress. I hope Bates has a breakout shooting game in the next couple weeks. 

Banks looked so much more comfortable out there. When JG ends up getting in foul trouble, we could see some Banks in B1G play and I don't think it'll hurt. He honestly looks more comfortable with the ball than Geronimo most times. JG reminds me a lot of OG when dribbling. It's kinda scary. 

Also nice for TJD to get that rest and not play the last 12 minutes of the game. 

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Banks looked so much more comfortable out there. When JG ends up getting in foul trouble, we could see some Banks in B1G play and I don't think it'll hurt. He honestly looks more comfortable with the ball than Geronimo most times. JG reminds me a lot of OG when dribbling. It's kinda scary. 

Also nice for TJD to get that rest and not play the last 12 minutes of the game. 

Banks is a scorer and will be hard not to give him minutes. He reminds me of a young Mike Woodson.

1 hour ago, 94Bulldog said:

Lots of bright spots but I still have zero confidence when Race and Tamar shoot from 3.

Realistically, Race only needs to shoot about 33% on a couple attempts a game to have most teams not have his defender automatically collapse down on TJD. I think he’ll be there.  He looks like he’s forcing a couple right now.  

Bates isn’t shooting the ball well. Overall he looks improved and a lot was made about his off-season, so I’m hopeful he finds his groove.