Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Morehead State - Monday, 11/07/22 @ 7:00 on B1G+

49 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

From what I could tell through the awful sound mixing on BTN+, that seemed like an electric crowd for a game against an OVC team even if it was the opener. UNC is in for a long night in a few weeks. 

You are spot on. Crowd was awesome tonight. I got a good video in the second half after they called a timeout. I've been coming to a lot of IU games against mid-majors in November and December. This was by far the best crowd I've seen from IU in a game like this. I can't wait to see UNC come to town. 

6 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

You are spot on. Crowd was awesome tonight. I got a good video in the second half after they called a timeout. I've been coming to a lot of IU games against mid-majors in November and December. This was by far the best crowd I've seen from IU in a game like this. I can't wait to see UNC come to town. 

I had season tix (my father when I young, and me during and post college) for many years, and remember the rowdy crowds (early and late season).. Left IN in the 90s. I still visited most every year, but the last 20 years totally declined (crowd  rowdiness wise). So happy if things are back to rowdy! Thanks for sharing. 

7 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

That’s good to hear. It definitely looked like it was a lit crowd from the broadcast, I was pleasantly surprised. 

But really, this team (and Woody in particular) are so easy to root for. If they get it going it will be some of the best atmospheres in a long time 

I don't want to be Mr. Optimistic but...the energy around the team/campus/crowd just felt different. Like 2011-2013 vibes. The last 5 years I've gone to at least one maybe two games at Assembly Hall during the season. It felt like I was at a church outside of the Wisconsin game in February. Not last night. Late arriving crowd but it was pretty loud. IMO, I thought it was just about at the level of the Wisconsin game last year..just my two cents. 

Also, this team is going to be fun to watch. Yes, it's Morehead State. They aren't a great team but I think they have a solid program. Also understand that they lost maybe their best player in the 1st half. However, this team is extremly athletic. I remember a lot of you rightfully saying during the tournament while watching other teams that IU lacked certain players. Well, I think we have them now. The two freshmen can take this team to the next step. I was one who engaged in the whole "start Malik with Race and Trayce" stuff. I don't care now. I trust coach Woodson to figure it out. 

My big concern is X trying to do too much. Coach said before the game that he needs to play within himself. Also, I can see Race's role dropping like VJ3's did his senior year. I just don't see him putting up double figures each night. Still, he's an important piece to this team. 

A few other thoughts..I've been hard on Kopp. If he does what he did in the 2nd half last night play him. He made a difference.,,,, Assembly Hall ushers are awesome people. Let you go on the court after the game. The lady with white hair who we always see behind the announcers table is one of the nicest people on the planet. She offered to hold our stuff while we got a photo at halfcourt....

Again, this team has a way to go. But, I can tell the talent has been upgraded. These guys got better in the offseason. 

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

That’s good to hear. It definitely looked like it was a lit crowd from the broadcast, I was pleasantly surprised. 

But really, this team (and Woody in particular) are so easy to root for. If they get it going it will be some of the best atmospheres in a long time 

Woodson has that mentality of no matter the score he's going to coach his guys. He was not happy with Jordan after that missed dunk which was late in the 2nd half when they were up 30. I like that. That was just one example. Wonder who coach got this mentality from...

4 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I don't want to be Mr. Optimistic but...the energy around the team/campus/crowd just felt different. Like 2011-2013 vibes. The last 5 years I've gone to at least one maybe two games at Assembly Hall during the season. It felt like I was at a church outside of the Wisconsin game in February. Not last night. Late arriving crowd but it was pretty loud. IMO, I thought it was just about at the level of the Wisconsin game last year..just my two cents. 

Also, this team is going to be fun to watch. Yes, it's Morehead State. They aren't a great team but I think they have a solid program. Also understand that they lost maybe their best player in the 1st half. However, this team is extremly athletic. I remember a lot of you rightfully saying during the tournament while watching other teams that IU lacked certain players. Well, I think we have them now. The two freshmen can take this team to the next step. I was one who engaged in the whole "start Malik with Race and Trayce" stuff. I don't care now. I trust coach Woodson to figure it out. 

My big concern is X trying to do too much. Coach said before the game that he needs to play within himself. Also, I can see Race's role dropping like VJ3's did his senior year. I just don't see him putting up double figures each night. Still, he's an important piece to this team. 

A few other thoughts..I've been hard on Kopp. If he does what he did in the 2nd half last night play him. He made a difference.,,,, Assembly Hall ushers are awesome people. Let you go on the court after the game. The lady with white hair who we always see behind the announcers table is one of the nicest people on the planet. She offered to hold our stuff while we got a photo at halfcourt....

Again, this team has a way to go. But, I can tell the talent has been upgraded. These guys got better in the offseason. 

One thing that will hopefully help Kopp this year is having JHS look for him spotting up on the fast break. We didn't have that last year. JHS just passes better than any other guard we have. Last night wasn't perfect but in years past we struggle with games like this. Glad to see us win by 30 whatever. The great thing is we get to turn around and play again Thursday night.  We can clean some things up and keep moving forward. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

One thing that will hopefully help Kopp this year is having JHS look for him spotting up on the fast break. We didn't have that last year. JHS just passes better than any other guard we have. Last night wasn't perfect but in years past we struggle with games like this. Glad to see us win by 30 whatever. The great thing is we get to turn around and play again Thursday night.  We can clean some things up and keep moving forward. 

Yeah that's what I've been saying on Kopp, he's a spot up shooter who isn't going to create his shot be he can shoot, IF he's shooting, and with JHS there should be shots for him that he should be taking -- if that happens it will help spread the floor which of course is the whole idea of him being out there, starting or not. The first half was not encouraging. The second half gave some glimpses of how that can work. If he continues to start, hope it's because we see the second half looks and takes growing.

26 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Yeah that's what I've been saying on Kopp, he's a spot up shooter who isn't going to create his shot be he can shoot, IF he's shooting, and with JHS there should be shots for him that he should be taking -- if that happens it will help spread the floor which of course is the whole idea of him being out there, starting or not. The first half was not encouraging. The second half gave some glimpses of how that can work. If he continues to start, hope it's because we see the second half looks and takes growing.

I would be surprised if he doesn't continue to start. Woody loves those older guys who have been through it. He calls Kopp a true professional. Now his minutes might get reduced, but Woody also thinks Kopp is a good defender. 

28 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would be surprised if he doesn't continue to start. Woody loves those older guys who have been through it. He calls Kopp a true professional. Now his minutes might get reduced, but Woody also thinks Kopp is a good defender. 

One of the nice things about Woody versus, say, Archie is that when Woody makes a conclusion like that I trust that he completely knows what the **** he’s doing.

37 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah I know and we've been having this convo here for a while -- No issue from me on the experience Kopp brings or, generally, his positional D (his ability to guard the perimeter though is limited, he lacks lateral quickness), but he wasn't brought over from NWU for his defense, it was, obviously, for his shooting, and to date he has shot the ball (volume) and scored at the bottom of the team. So, as guys like Bates grow into better defenders, yes, they absolutely should play more minutes -- but again, what I want to see is Kopp using his shooting when he's on the floor.

30 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Miller Kopp is IU's most reliable 3-point and free throw shooter. 

Reliable is nice, but he has to actually be shooting. He shot by numbers at the bottom of the team last season. He added little scoring (6 PPG). As a reliable shooter, he needs to be shooting, can't create his own shot, but JHS and X together can get him looks.

From last season:

Per 40 Min and Per 100 poss: 

Kopp - 12th 

On totals, with 879 min, his 209 points was 5th, but that's because of time, not efficiency. 

3-Pt %:

Kopp, on total basis - 3rd at 36% (108 shots) behind Stewart (39% 135 shots) and X (38.3% 94 shots).

He took 3.1 3's per game (which is actually more than I thought but not enough to justify starting at the 3).

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Miller Kopp is IU's most reliable 3-point and free throw shooter. 

I'd up that a little:

Miller Kopp is IU's best open shooter.

With now four players; TJD, X, JHS, and Malik creating mismatches and defensive rotations, that is a very valuable thing to be. 

We are good in transition.  We can be fast.  We need to utilize that as much as possible but the players need to also be a lot smarter about some of the decisions they make.  More transition hoops.  That's a fun system to play in and our players are athletic enough to take advantage of it.  Bates seemed the most over-amped to me on some of his decision making.  Anyway, Lets pick up the pace a little.  X likes to walk the ball up if he's not going 100mph with it.  I'd like to see him getting into the offense much quicker.  

One thing I learned last night - X is gonna be tasked with chasing around a whole bunch of tiny, yet quick guards this season.

One other thing I thought I knew and saw for real last night: We are the "switching 1 through 5-est" team in the land. 

Watching Trayce, Race, and even Malik effectively dealing with little guards on the perimeter was a thing of beauty. Maybe you can score on us by dumping into the post or clearing out, but it's awfully hard to score on a team by screening when we can switch at will without really suffering from mismatches. X can hold off 90%+ of D1 bigs and Trayce/Race can deal with 90%+ of D1 guards.

5 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Woodson has that mentality of no matter the score he's going to coach his guys. He was not happy with Jordan after that missed dunk which was late in the 2nd half when they were up 30. I like that. That was just one example. Wonder who coach got this mentality from...

There was also a moment when he was getting on TJD get get his a** down the floor. Even the all American isn’t immune. 

We are good in transition.  We can be fast.  We need to utilize that as much as possible but the players need to also be a lot smarter about some of the decisions they make.  More transition hoops.  That's a fun system to play in and our players are athletic enough to take advantage of it.  Bates seemed the most over-amped to me on some of his decision making.  Anyway, Lets pick up the pace a little.  X likes to walk the ball up if he's not going 100mph with it.  I'd like to see him getting into the offense much quicker.  
I'd also like to see some of these guys make the pass in transition that creates the easiest bucket. I've seen a handful of times already where the ball handler takes it himself rather than finding the open man. I'm not suggesting anyone is being selfish because I don't think that's the case it's just an IQ/continuity thing imo.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk