Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Morehead State - Monday, 11/07/22 @ 7:00 on B1G+

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Live Stats

After cruising to a pair of exhibition wins over NAIA opponents Marian and Saint Francis, Monday is the real deal for Indiana.

The Hoosiers welcome Morehead State, the preseason favorite to win the Ohio Valley Conference, to Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall for the 2022-23 regular season opener. In one of the most highly-anticipated seasons in the last decade, Indiana is tabbed as the Big Ten favorite in coach Mike Woodson's second year.

Trayce Jackson-Davis returned for his senior year to preseason All-American and Big Ten Player of the Year honors, leading a roster filled with experience and a top-10 freshman class. 

"I just think we've got a good team," Woodson said after a 104-59 win over Saint Francis on Thursday. "Everybody is going to have to sacrifice and be willing to buy in to do what we need to do to get where we need to go."

TV: BTN-Plus. Watching Indiana's regular season opener against Morehead State on Nov. 7 requires an additional subscription to the Big Ten Network's BTN-Plus service. This is the final Indiana men's basketball game aired on BTN-Plus for the 2022-23 season. 

Announcers: Griffin Epstein (play-by-play), Jack Edwards (analyst), Audrey Hausberger (sideline)

Radio: IU Radio Network

Radio Announcers: Don Fischer (play-by-play), Rhett Lewis (analyst), Joe Smith, John Herrick

Point spread: Indiana is a 20.5-point favorite

AP poll: Indiana is No. 13 in the preseason AP poll, the highest ranking of any Big Ten team 

KenPom rankings: Indiana is No. 12 overall, with the No. 8 adjusted defensive efficiency and No. 22 adjusted offensive efficiency. Morehead State is No. 223 overall, with the No. 181 adjusted defensive efficiency and No. 248 adjusted offensive efficiency. 

Morehead State lost its top five scorers and four of its five starters from last year. Redshirt senior guard Jake Wolfe is the lone returning starter at 5.8 points per game. Illinois State transfer Mark Freeman was selected to the preseason All-OVC team and averaged 8.8 points last year.

Last season's records: Indiana went 21-14 overall and 9-11 in Big Ten play in 2021-22. The Hoosiers reached the NCAA Tournament last year for the first time since 2016, defeating Wyoming in the First Four and losing to Saint Mary's in the Round of 64. Morehead State went 23-11 overall and 13-5 in Ohio Valley Conference play. The Eagles lost to Murray State in the OVC Tournament Championship to end the season. 

Series history: Indiana leads the all-time series against Morehead State 5-0.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Radio: IU Radio Network

Radio Announcers: Don Fischer (play-by-play), Rhett Lewis (analyst), Joe Smith, John Herrick

They killed off Suhr the younger too?!? I guess Rhett is sticking around to see what a win looks like. /s

If Suhr is gone, I'll start listening to the radio again. Sorry, but Suhr was Capt Obvious and far too long winded. But then, he hasn't won any awards for broadcasting, unlike Fisch.

Hate the fact that BTN has this on their extended pay-per BTN+.  I subscribed prior to the last exhibition but just seems like they are squeezing blood out of turnip when you have to pay for games that should be on their regular network.
Every team in the Big Ten has games on BTN+. This game is the only regular season game IU has on it. I do agree there is no reason they can't have games on the "extra" BTN channels though.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Slightly off topic but as this is the opener -- stats for our two exhibitions:

Jackson-Davis:  1 game, 21 minutes, 6/8 from the field, 7/8 from the line, 19 points, 9 rebounds, 0 assists

Reneua:  2 games, 20.5 mpg, 14/18 from the field, 0/1 from three 1/3 ft, 14.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.5 apg

Hood-Schifino:  2 games, 23 mpg, 11/16 from the field, 3/5 from three, 1/1 ft, 13.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.5 apg

Duncomb:  1 game, 22 minutes, 5/8 from the field, 1/2 ft, 11 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist

Bates:  1 game, 22 minutes, 5/10 from the field, 0/2 threes, 10 points, 2 assists

Thompson:  2 games, 20 mpg, 6/9 from the field, 3/4 from three, 2/4 ft, 8.5 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.5 apg

Geronimo:  2 games, 16 mpg, 7/10 from the field, 1/2 from three, 1/2 ft, 8 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.5 apg

Gunn:  2 games, 18.5 mpg, 6/13 from the field, 3/8 from three, 7.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.5 apg

Johnson:  2 games, 19.5 mpg, 5/19 from the field, 0/7 from three, 2/4 ft, 6.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.0 apg

Kopp:  2 games, 18 mpg, 4/4 from the field, 3/3 from three, 5.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.5 apg

Galloway:  2 games, 17.5 mpg, 3/5 from the field, 2/3 from three, 1/2 ft, 4.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.5 apg

Leal:  2 games, 6 mpg, 1/2 from the field, 0/1 from three, 1.0 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.5 apg

Banks:  1 game, 10 minutes, 0/3 from the field, 0/2 from three, 0 points, 2 rebounds.

Team shot 58%, 39% from three, 63% frmo the line.  averaged 11 turnovers.

2 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

They killed off Suhr the younger too?!? I guess Rhett is sticking around to see what a win looks like. /s

Suhr is still the basketball analyst.  They must have just forgotten to change it.

Well, here we go.  It's starting today!  Get excited!?

I'm looking forward to watching this team of upper classmen.  It will be fun.

Hope that it is a 'Season to Put in Ink'.

Concerned about XJ.  Hope he gets his groove back, soon.  

But I am numb and shell-shocked from all the changes in the world.  The changes include war, sicknesses, inequality, lack of mutual respect, public education funding in jeopardy, media sound bites, hype, performance politics in lieu of compromise, the over concentration of capital, the failure of the NCAA...and the worst of all: the most likely loss in football to Purdue. Well, I don't know what to do about the latter.  But for the rest:  Vote!

In the past 2+ decades we have watched Indiana University basketball generally taking a back seat in the BIG and nationally.  Glad that IU has turned this sport around with the hire of CMW and giving basketball the support, it needs to succeed.

Gameday!! Most excited I've been for a season since 12-13. Can't wait to be there tonight. In 2017 my wife and my dad started taking me to games around my birthday which is always at the start of the college hoops season. The first one was the infamous Indiana State game. Last year it was Eastern Michigan which was a close game at the end. Here's to hoping tonight's game is a rout for us. A little bit about Morehead State: 

Picked to finished second in the OVC. Looks like they lost a lot of producation last year. Their best player transferred to Auburn. Another kid plays at Minnesota now. Overall 7 of their 8 top scorers are gone. They were a tournament team in 2021. Spradlin is a solid coach. Best player looks to be Alex Gross who was an NAIA All-American. The rest of their starters will be players who transferred from around the country. Mix of D1, D2 talent. Coach Spradlin stresses an up tempo offense and to be more aggressive on defense this year. Looking at the projected starters from the Almanac IU is going to have a major size advantage. Give me IU 78-57. 

Play the starters 15-19 minutes together. Mix in a couple lineups with the bench guys you’d like to see. Let the bench get the majority of the run tonight. 

Play the Walk-On’s and enjoy Tuesday off. 

8 minutes ago, Trish said:

Play the starters 15-19 minutes together. Mix in a couple lineups with the bench guys you’d like to see. Let the bench get the majority of the run tonight. 

Play the Walk-On’s and enjoy Tuesday off. 

Can't take Tuesday off when we play again Thursday

17 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Is anyone else going to be there? I hope they let you on the court after the game. They did not last year when I went. 

I'll be there but not in my normal seats.  Alex Gross's family will be sitting in my 4 court-level seats for this one.  Church friends and Alex played at Hauser nearby.  Had a chance to play overseas but did the grad transfer to Morehead instead.

First time I have ever violated my policy of no opposing fans in my seats but this seemed like a legitimate exception - the family is STOKED!  Also, I informed all of those around me in my seats last game and all are cool with it.  

That said, Go Hoosiers!!!!!!