Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

IUBB vs. St. Francis (exhib) Thurs., Nov. 3rd, 7 p.m. B1G+

11 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Agree. Exhibition or not, the competition is going to be awesome. I think Jalen and Malik should start. CJ should be in the rotation. Those three weren't here last year. Time to bust the "this is the same team" myth some lazy college basketball writers say. 

It's not that Jalen and Malik just looked good. They were by far two of the best players for IU. Not saying they will have rough games. They will. But the fact they look this good compared to the rest of the team is telling. The others outside of Trayce better step up!! Or they won't be playing as much. Woodson doesn't have a choice there. Time will tell. 

JHS is the real deal, he's likely a OAD, need to enjoy him while he's here.

Ren looks terrific, the floor understanding and positioning to go with his footwork, timing and ability is veteran-level, he ceiling is way up there, and agreed they're two of the best.

But, besides these being exhibition games where they're clearly heads above the talent level of anyone on the other team and the other team players are significantly undersized, in the enthusiasm over these two what the other guys are actually doing on the floor is getting overlooked.

Plus Minus leaders from last night:

- Bates (+34 in 22 min), 5-10 FGs. His outside shot is not clicking, but he did just come back from a lower back strain/injury, and it's way, way early to be judging his shooting.

- Galloway (+32 in 20 min), 3 assists (1 TO), 1 block. Only took 3 shots, but 1-2 from deep and it's also very early to judge his shot, but the form, on limited looks, looks pretty solid and better.

- JG (+30 in 17 min), 5-5 for 10 FGs, 8 boards,  3 steals (lead team),1 assist - 1 TO. That's strong, he had a legit solid game, think it was Stu who said he wasn't forcing it which is exactly right, first game he's was forcing it, this game he looked a lot better and +30 with those stats is good play.

No one else came close to those plus-minus numbers in this game fwiw (Ren closest at +23).

So starters will be TJD, Race, Kopp, JHS, X, as they should be at this point (imo). 

I'd love to see a growing power/fast lineup of Ren, JG, Galloway, with either JHS or X running the team on-ball and Bates off ball. Growth needed but a lot of potential there imo.

We're also seeing minute distributions which won't stick, this is experimentation and testing time. X played 15 min, Race 17. Gunn played 15.

Starters:

1. TJD
  2. Race
  3. Miller
  4. JHS
  5. X

Full rotation bench, in order of minutes/appearance:

1. Malik
  2. Gallo
  3. JG
  4. Tamar

In rotation, but to a lesser extent -- blowout or a wing is playing crappy:

1. CJ

Lesser-extent rotation for when we play an Edey-style giant:

1. Logan

Out of rotation:

1. Kaleb
  2. Anthony

Injuries? Bump bench players up one category when the injury strikes their position. I believe that's where we are to start the season.

Just now, IUHoosierJoe said:

Both were sick.

When IU releases a statement that,

“Indiana sophomore center Logan Duncomb (illness) and freshman forward Kaleb Banks (illness) will be inactive tonight against Saint Francis. No further questions will be addressed at this point. The program will provide further details when available."

... and both players are on the court in sweats during warmups and the game, that raises red flags.

If it was some kind of flu-like thing you wouldn't think they'd be in huddles and warmups. It suggests that "illness" might equal "in trouble."

Or, maybe not.

4 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Isiah Thomas was not erratic at first when he came to IU. The summer before his freshman year he started for the US team in the Pan Am games when Bobby Knight was coach. By the time he arrived at IU he was every bit as composed as JHS if not more. Let's not re-write history in our enthusiasm for these two very talented new players.

During Isiah's freshman year he had what is the most turnovers over the last 43 years. 15 more TO's than the 2nd place guy. Isiah is still 5th most TO's his sophomore year. 

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

When IU releases a statement that,

“Indiana sophomore center Logan Duncomb (illness) and freshman forward Kaleb Banks (illness) will be inactive tonight against Saint Francis. No further questions will be addressed at this point. The program will provide further details when available."

... and both players are on the court in sweats during warmups and the game, that raises red flags.

If it was some kind of flu-like thing you wouldn't think they'd be in huddles and warmups. It suggests that "illness" might equal "in trouble."

Or, maybe not.

I don't see anything here. could be stomach bug or all kinds of other 'illness' things, and I don't see the U releasing a statement on illness when they're in trouble, Woodson hasn't exactly been shy about guys being in trouble before.

Isiah led IU to a national championship his sophomore year and helped lead it to a Big Ten Championship his freshman year. If he was so "erratic" as you say, Isiah would have been benched by Bobby Knight. Instead, he was a spectacular player both years he played at IU. He is probably one the top three best players ever to play IU in spite of the flaws you have cited. Someone should ask Coach Woodson about Isiah's "erratic play" during his freshman year. Woodson was a senior member of that team. My guess is he would take issue with your characterization.

4 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Isiah led IU to a national championship his sophomore year and helped lead it to a Big Ten Championship his freshman year. If he was so "erratic" as you say, Isiah would have been benched by Bobby Knight. Instead, he was a spectacular player both years he played at IU. He is probably one the top three best players ever to play IU in spite of the flaws you have cited. Someone should ask Coach Woodson about Isiah's "erratic play" during his freshman year. Woodson was a senior member of that team. My guess is he would take issue with your characterization.

Let's ask Woody lol

Agreed that Isiah was spectacular both years at IU. Agree that he was a big-time plus player both years. But when he played more under control he was that much better, and that happened during his sophomore year IMO.

I. Thomas as a freshman

Starting point guard every game as a freshman

Played 34 MPG

IU won the Big Ten

Shot 51% from the floor

Averaged 14.6 points a game

2.1 steals per game

1st team All Big Ten. He was a freshman while all the other first teamers (which included Kevin McHale, Herb Williams, Jay Vincent and Joe Barry Carrol) were juniors and seniors.

He was pretty good :)

31 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I know we think all that, but if Isiah and Quinn played at IU right now we would also think Bobby would have benched them. Even Coach Woodson has the 3rd most turnovers in a season, but a kid now with that many "coach Knight would have benched"

Don't get me wrong, I loved watching Isiah play at IU for 2 seasons, but erratic kind of applies with his 4.7 to's a game as a freshman.

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I. Thomas as a freshman

Starting point guard every game as a freshman

Played 34 MPG

IU won the Big Ten

Shot 51% from the floor

Averaged 14.6 points a game

2.1 steals per game

1st team All Big Ten. He was a freshman while all the other first teamers (which included Kevin McHale, Herb Williams, Jay Vincent and Joe Barry Carrol) were juniors and seniors.

He was pretty good :)

Very good. Had 5.5 assists a game also and it was the 1st time the all big ten team included a freshman.

When I see old game film of the IU teams with Isaiah, I am astounded all over by how good he was. Of all the great point guards that IU has had during my years of watching, and there have been a bunch, Thomas is clearly the best. IU doesn't win the title in '81 without him. Obviously, just my opinion.

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Xavier had 5.1 assists and 2.7 turnovers per while scoring over 12+ ppg last year. I considered him pretty damn good but erratic.

Isiah had 5.5 assists and 4.7 turnovers, 14+ ppg and disruptive defense for Isiah. That is outstanding, and erratic.

And maybe we're forgetting that RMK DID try to micro-manage IT, and they were butting heads, but recognizing the extreme talent and floor vision IT had, RMK relaxed the reins and largely gave IT floor control, and then he and IU went on a tear ultimately to the NC in his soph year. 

The Yogi comparison fits imo, Yogi was crazy erratic as a frosh, repeatedly would run into the lane with nowhere to go and leave his feet and then have to wildly dish it off while in the air. He ended up ok :)