Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB vs. Marian University (exhib) Sat., Oct. 29, 3 p.m. B1G+

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

CJ Gunn has serious “it factor.”

Id imagine he won’t get much run this year, but his shot is pure, his first step is really quick, he’s long, and he plays like he wants to embarrass his opponent.

For me? He’s the biggest revelation from this game; more than JHS, Malik, or Logan. CJ Gunn looks like a kid that in a year or two will be a top of the rotation player.

Saw Gunn in the IN vs. KY high school All Star game in Owensboro this summer.  He was the premiere player in that game. There wasn't a player on the KY team that could check him, and he was not shy about letting them know that.  I believe he was MVP in both All Star games. 

2 hours ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

I think "upgrade" is a major understatement. He may not have Larry bird Game, but he's got the start of Larry Bird SWAG. Today, he seemed to let things come to him, didn't rush, and was almost like... "I'm gonna go over here, shot it and hit and you can't stop me". swag. 

Duncomb plays with a chip on his shoulder — a lot to like in that attitude 

1) I'll put this frontcourt against anyone in the country. All week I've talked about getting the reserves minutes in these kind of games. I don't know how often Logan Duncomb will play this year but I think he is going to play a huge role in this program down the road. Malik is a grown man..more on him later. Was awesome to see Race hit 3's. I saw where Anthony and Tamar both said he was going to be much better beyond the 3 point lien this year. 

2) Coach Woodson is going to have to get Malik minutes. I saw someone suggest this...Race at the 3, Trayce at the 4, Malik at the 5. Not sure that is possible. What do you guys think? Malik is a starter right now on 13 of the 14 Big Ten Teams. Nothing against Miller Kopp. He's a great person and ambassador to IU. But there need to be questions asked if he's starting at the end of the season. This leads me to my next point..

3) It's an exhibition game but Race showed up today however I was disappointed in the other returning guys today. Especially X and Geronimo. They are all going to have to earn their minutes. This includes Tamar, Trey, Miller, etc. I think this freshman class has three guys that are going to be in the rotation. CJ Gunn really impressed me today. I hope he continues. Unfortunately it looks like Kaleb Banks won't see much time this year. I heard good things about him in the offseason but I guess he is too raw. 

It's an exhibition. Can't get too high and can't get too low. But it's awesome to see this team in live action. I thought they actually ran an offense today and it was refreshing to see. 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

CJ Gunn has serious “it factor.”

Id imagine he won’t get much run this year, but his shot is pure, his first step is really quick, he’s long, and he plays like he wants to embarrass his opponent.

For me? He’s the biggest revelation from this game; more than JHS, Malik, or Logan. CJ Gunn looks like a kid that in a year or two will be a top of the rotation player.

Have not watched but this tracks with the twitter reaction too. Seems he’s a little “light in the butt,” as CMW said about Bates last year, and will benefit from a full year of college S&C (plus some high calorie off-season meal plans).

I have a soft spot for a long-limbed shooter at 2/3.

It’s funny that Archie’s last recruit is the sort of player he never had enough of.

2 hours ago, hoosierdogg said:

Saw Gunn in the IN vs. KY high school All Star game in Owensboro this summer.  He was the premiere player in that game. There wasn't a player on the KY team that could check him, and he was not shy about letting them know that.  I believe he was MVP in both All Star games. 

When he develops a B1G body, he will be a problem for the rest of the conference.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

1. When Jalen hit a couple of mid-range shots off of curls? Hoo boy; that’s no Parker Stewart at the two.

2. It wasn’t just Malik; Logan is clearly more mobile, a better passer, and sustained playing harder than Durr could dream of. And I feel ashamed for even raising a Malik upgrade over Durr. They’re on different planets.

3. That now-established system produced some outstanding offensive sets today. A bunch of high post action with Duncomb and Reneau, yet we still got guys to the dunker’s spot. Lots of double screens to free up guards getting downhill with options off of the screens for the screeners-Logan and Malik rolled and Race popped. 
Great sets! So fun to watch.

Everyone just needed to be patient.  Last year was a transition and learning yea for both CMW, the assistant coaches and players.  CMW has a defensive system that he wanted to install first and he knows you win games with defense and he really didn’t install much offensive sets until late in the year.  After everyone has had a year under their belts, you will see much improvement offensively and the defense will still be there too!

1) I'll put this frontcourt against anyone in the country. All week I've talked about getting the reserves minutes in these kind of games. I don't know how often Logan Duncomb will play this year but I think he is going to play a huge role in this program down the road. Malik is a grown man..more on him later. Was awesome to see Race hit 3's. I saw where Anthony and Tamar both said he was going to be much better beyond the 3 point lien this year. 
2) Coach Woodson is going to have to get Malik minutes. I saw someone suggest this...Race at the 3, Trayce at the 4, Malik at the 5. Not sure that is possible. What do you guys think? Malik is a starter right now on 13 of the 14 Big Ten Teams. Nothing against Miller Kopp. He's a great person and ambassador to IU. But there need to be questions asked if he's starting at the end of the season. This leads me to my next point..
3) It's an exhibition game but Race showed up today however I was disappointed in the other returning guys today. Especially X and Geronimo. They are all going to have to earn their minutes. This includes Tamar, Trey, Miller, etc. I think this freshman class has three guys that are going to be in the rotation. CJ Gunn really impressed me today. I hope he continues. Unfortunately it looks like Kaleb Banks won't see much time this year. I heard good things about him in the offseason but I guess he is too raw. 
It's an exhibition. Can't get too high and can't get too low. But it's awesome to see this team in live action. I thought they actually ran an offense today and it was refreshing to see. 
I wouldn't mind race at the 3 in a big lineup as long as he can hit open shots it wouldn't be an issue

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We don’t have to play Race at the 3 for Malik to get minutes.  80 minutes available.  But JG is going to either play the 3 or not play   

That’s my question too. Malik looks better than JG and isn’t out of position playing at the 4. Not sure where JG’s minutes are going to come from because I doubt he was able to go 0 to 100 in wing skills. 

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That’s my question too. Malik looks better than JG and isn’t out of position playing at the 4. Not sure where JG’s minutes are going to come from because I doubt he was able to go 0 to 100 in wing skills. 

The 4 & 5

TJD - 28

Race - 25

MR - 22

Logan - 5

9 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Believe it’s way too early to say JG shouldn’t get minutes. He had a bad game and will have to figure out his role, but he has ability. He really came on in the postseason, was a huge reason we came back against Michigan. 

I mean nobody looked as bad as Xavier but not gonna give up on him because of an exhibition. 

Idk if he should or shouldn’t get minutes. But his best chance at getting playing time is at a position he didn’t have the skills to play last year. He only played 13 mpg last year because we had two great frontcourt players in front of him, they both came back, and we added another frontcourt guy who is probably better than him. 

In a lot of ways JG is an athlete trying to learn how to be a basketball player. It’s just one game against a really crappy opponent, but he looks more polished than JG.