Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB vs. Marian University (exhib) Sat., Oct. 29, 3 p.m. B1G+

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I know it’s just an exhibition but I am very concerned our starting guards haven’t hit a 3 yet 

That’s kind of the definition of small sample size, but If it makes you feel any better, Hood-Schifino made the baseline 3 that was waved off on Geronimo’s illegal screen. 

On 10/26/2022 at 9:52 PM, DWB said:

I'm gonna take it easy on the analysis for the exhibition games, because that's an opportunity to do a bunch of trial and error on lineups, sets, defenses, etc. Not even a dress rehearsal IMO. Moorehead state will be the dress rehearsal.

It's just after watching the Wyoming game, it brought me back down to earth on the expectations of this team. Yes, we should be far better than last year...but honestly that wouldn't take a whole lot.

Sure hope we're as good as advertised, and I'll be rooting hard for them every minute. But with the experience we have back, we better not average 10+ TO's per game, nor stand around and watch TJD go 1 on 3 in the paint.

It was explained over and over, it was CMW’s first year in which he 100% committed to teaching defense and did not concentrate a lot on offense last year until late in the year.  Hence, why we plays a little better offensively down the stretch but we still had guys who couldn’t shoot the 3 consistently.  That is something you will see improved, how much is to be determined!  This team will be good defensively and better offensively!

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

One more thing:

Logan Duncomb plays with way more tempo and lean than Michael Durr.

Even without Malik it seems as though Duncomb is an upgrade in Durr’s role.

I think "upgrade" is a major understatement. He may not have Larry bird Game, but he's got the start of Larry Bird SWAG. Today, he seemed to let things come to him, didn't rush, and was almost like... "I'm gonna go over here, shot it and hit and you can't stop me". swag. 

Just now, Trish said:

Ready to see the first real test vs Xavier. Warm up games in the meantime, hopefully Woody allows the bench to get some burn up till Xavier. 

Ummm…

The first test is Morehead State. They are a pretty ******* good basketball team and they’re coming to Bloomington thinking they can win the game.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Ummm…

The first test is Morehead State. They are a pretty ******* good basketball team and they’re coming to Bloomington thinking they can win the game.

I don’t know anything about that program, but looking at their schedule they got blown out twice by the two P5 programs they played last season. 

20+ wins is no joke though of course. Every mid major Indiana plays this season will come in hungry of course and basketball is unpredictable at times. But I personally don’t think Indiana will get tested for 30+ minutes until Xavier. That’s the rotation I’m curious to see. 

Considering who we didn't have today, I think it was an excellent game. CJ Gunn has a huge upside and will be great for us down the road. I like this team. However, what we saw today is why those 5* freshman are important. Those two guys alone change the trajectory of this team.

And that’s why recruiting elite talent is important. Reneau and JHS looked so good. 

Fun seeing Duncomb have a strong game. Gunn offered what is HS ball looked like. I like him, just got to improve that lateral defense. 

This team will be fun. Would like to see the tempo go up a notch still. 

LOVE ME SOME IUBB HOOPS TOO MUCH!  

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

And that’s why recruiting elite talent is important. Reneau and JHS looked so good. 

Fun seeing Duncomb have a strong game. Gunn offered what is HS ball looked like. I like him, just got to improve that lateral defense. 

This team will be fun. Would like to see the tempo go up a notch still. 

LOVE ME SOME IUBB HOOPS TOO MUCH!  

I think Lander maybe desensitized the fanbase to how amazing 5 Stars can be.  By the end of the season we are easily going to be able to trod out the most talented line up against any big ten team.  I am less high on Illinois than others 

39 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

CJ Gunn has serious “it factor.”

Id imagine he won’t get much run this year, but his shot his pure, his first step is really quick, he’s long, and he plays like he wants to embarrass his opponent.

For me? He’s the biggest revelation from this game; more than JHS, Malik, or Logan. CJ Gunn looks like a kid that in a year or two will be a top of the rotation player.

I love reading this- that is how you build winners, imo. Sure recruit high level talent, but developing players still works. 

38 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

One more thing:

Logan Duncomb plays with way more tempo and lean than Michael Durr.

Even without Malik it seems as though Duncomb is an upgrade in Durr’s role.

And we will have TJD, Race, Malik and Duncomb that can play the 5. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think Lander maybe desensitized the fanbase to how amazing 5 Stars can be.  By the end of the season we are easily going to be able to trod out the most talented line up against any big ten team.  I am less high on Illinois than others 

I don’t think Lander desensitized the fanbase. I think there are plenty that don’t trust the rankings much and find the exceptions to the rule. Don’t like the one and done model, etc.  Neither do I, but it’s hard for elite talent to move on too, and when elite talent stays plus getting the building block guys you like it’s the magic formula. 

anyway, I’m happy with JHS and Malik, they look ready and more.  I liked Malik from my scout and watching Montverde but he’s better than I thought. JHS and Whitehead were so ball dominant on Montverde, Malik was a hustle, energy, scrap guy.  His post game as a freshman is nice!

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I don’t think Lander desensitized the fanbase. I think there are plenty that don’t trust the rankings much and find the exceptions to the rule. Don’t like the one and done model, etc.  Neither do I, but it’s hard for elite talent to move on too, and when elite talent stays plus getting the building block guys you like it’s the magic formula. 

anyway, I’m happy with JHS and Malik, they look ready and more.  I liked Malik from my scout and watching Montverde but he’s better than I thought. JHS and Whitehead were so ball dominant on Montverde, Malik was a hustle, energy, scrap guy.  His post game as a freshman is nice!

I think people forget that TJD was ranked around the same as  Malik. I think Tomas Bryant was in that area as well. JHS around the same as Yogi. I'm not saying they'll be as good as those guys, but I'd say they have that level of talent. 

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think people forget that TJD was ranked around the same as  Malik. I think Tomas Bryant was in that area as well. JHS around the same as Yogi. I'm not saying they'll be as good as those guys, but I'd say they have that level of talent.