Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB vs. Marian University (exhib) Sat., Oct. 29, 3 p.m. B1G+

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

We’ve seen him shoot at HH, we’ve heard and read multiple reports about him including his shooting from the practices and scrimmages, no need to be snarky of course we haven’t seen it in games yet, I’m betting we will

I’m not being snarky. HH, practice, off-season reports, etc. That stuff is virtually meaningless.  Every season we hear about all the improvements players made, how much muscle they added, how many inches they grew, how good of shooters they have become. I’ve lost track of the number of off-season national championships we’ve won in recent years. Then the players come back and look the same. Maybe Bates will be different. Until he actually shows it in games, he’s the 26% from the field in conference play guy he was last year. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m not being snarky. HH, practice, off-season reports, etc. That stuff is virtually meaningless.  Every season we hear about all the improvements players made, how much muscle they added, how many inches they grew, how good of shooters they have become. I’ve lost track of the number of off-season national championships we’ve won in recent years. Then the players come back and look the same. Maybe Bates will be different. Until he actually shows it in games, he’s the 26% from the field in conference play guy he was last year. 

Ok I get all that and agree there’s often off-season talk and hype that’s overdone, and yeah the proof is in the pudding. Bates was an excellent shooter coming in though and a borderline 5 star, and he has shown flashes. Then there’s Woodson talking him up, and other players. And yeah we haven’t seen him in games yet this season but his stroke looked really good at HH. So, we’ll see

24 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

A lot of people are reluctant to believe that someone's shooting has greatly improved until they see it in actual games. Throughout the Miller years, we seemed to always hear that so-and-so was a "sniper in practice, you'll see when the season begins." It never worked out. Even heading into last year, Bates, Kopp, and/or Stewart were going to fix the shooting woes. Didn't happen. So after that over and over, is surprising that people are cynical?

Fair, but Bates came in a borderline 5 star and an excellent shooter, he was largely held back this past season bc of his D, that limited his play, we’ll see

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Fair, but Bates came in a borderline 5 star and an excellent shooter, he was largely held back this past season bc of his D, that limited his play, we’ll see

His defense wasn’t the reason why he shot 27% from 3 during conference play. Lander was a borderline 5 star too and we saw how that turned out. Like I said, at this point it’s all talk. We’ll see in a few weeks if there’s anything to the talk. Unlike last year, we actually have some real teams on our non conference schedule so we’ll get an idea early. 

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

And yeah we haven’t seen him in games yet this season but his stroke looked really good at HH. So, we’ll see

Shooting wide open shots without competition in your face or jock strap is not a good representation. I remember Hornsby saying he could hit 95 out of 100 on his own without someone in his face. 

So yes, we'll see how he pans out in non-cupcake games.

4 hours ago, go iu bb said:

A lot of people are reluctant to believe that someone's shooting has greatly improved until they see it in actual games. Throughout the Miller years, we seemed to always hear that so-and-so was a "sniper in practice, you'll see when the season begins." It never worked out. Even heading into last year, Bates, Kopp, and/or Stewart were going to fix the shooting woes. Didn't happen. So after that over and over, is surprising that people are cynical?

I’ll never forget the off-season when Jeremiah Rivers was hitting “everything” but when the season started…..

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I've heard this summer that the strength and conditioning was terrible for the team, no players added muscle or weight. Very few open gyms and no players worked on their games. I've heard that many players shot got much worse this off-season. TJD might be our best 3-point shooter. I know were ranked 13, but I would be pleasantly surprised if we finish in the top 13 in the Big Ten. Anything better than that and I will be pleasantly surprised. I just want to manage the expectations of the board this year. Tired of everyone telling us how great the offseason was. But we get to see for ourselves tomorrow. Go Hoosiers!!

WHAT!!??!!  We may lose a game, or worse, multiple games?!?  ARRGGHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO...

That won't go over well.

Hoping the losses don't start with Marian U.

Per ITH:

Mike Woodson unsure if Tamar Bates or Trayce Jackson-Davis will play in exhibition opener

Indiana is a “little banged up” entering Saturday’s exhibition opener against Marian University. In a media availability on Friday morning, Mike Woodson said he’s unsure if the Hoosiers will be full strength this weekend at Assembly Hall.

“Trayce (Jackson-Davis) is a little banged up,” Woodson said. “Tamar Bates has been sidelined for the last couple of practices. We’ve kind of been going at each other and it’s been a long run from this summer in terms of competing with one another.” Jackson-Davis has been photographed recently wearing a wrap on his right hand. Woodson did not address a specific injury for either player. “I don’t know yet (if they’ll play),” Woodson said. “I’ll know that today once I get to practice and get an injury update and see how guys are doing. I’ll have to face that as a game decision as I just don’t know at this point.”

The media availability:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/10/28/video-mike-woodson-previews-indianas-exhibition-opener-against-marian-university/

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Mike Woodson unsure if Tamar Bates or Trayce Jackson-Davis will play in exhibition opener

It TJD and Tamar Bates are banged up, I hope they don't play. Give them time to completely heal for the regular season. Besides, it will provide more playing time for others like Malik Reneau, Logan Duncomb, Kaleb Banks and CJ Gunn. 

Woody was clearly not in a super-fun jolly mood during the media availability. 

When he starts his answer to a question with "Well, again..." it is a sure sign that he is tired of hearing the same questions over and over, especially the one about what Mike Woodson has learned about himself going into his second year at IU.

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Per ITH:

Indiana is a “little banged up” entering Saturday’s exhibition opener against Marian University. In a media availability on Friday morning, Mike Woodson said he’s unsure if the Hoosiers will be full strength this weekend at Assembly Hall.

“Trayce (Jackson-Davis) is a little banged up,” Woodson said. “Tamar Bates has been sidelined for the last couple of practices. We’ve kind of been going at each other and it’s been a long run from this summer in terms of competing with one another.” Jackson-Davis has been photographed recently wearing a wrap on his right hand. Woodson did not address a specific injury for either player. “I don’t know yet (if they’ll play),” Woodson said. “I’ll know that today once I get to practice and get an injury update and see how guys are doing. I’ll have to face that as a game decision as I just don’t know at this point.”

The media availability:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/10/28/video-mike-woodson-previews-indianas-exhibition-opener-against-marian-university/

As I said yesterday, especially in exhibition games, play the 2nd unit. Don't play Trayce and Tamar if they aren't near 100%. Curious if Malik would play the 5 or if they'd slide over Race and put Jordan at the 4 spot to star the game. 

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

When he starts his answer to a question with "Well, again..." it is a sure sign that he is tired of hearing the same questions over and over, especially the one about what Mike Woodson has learned about himself going into his second year at IU.

I am tired of that question for him. Maybe it’s just me but it feels like a backhanded way of asking him if he has learned how to coach basketball 

26 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We have a whole heap of beat writers and a majority of those are unoriginal hacks that would seemingly rather be food bloggers or on an EPL beat. 

36 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

As I said yesterday, especially in exhibition games, play the 2nd unit. Don't play Trayce and Tamar if they aren't near 100%. Curious if Malik would play the 5 or if they'd slide over Race and put Jordan at the 4 spot to star the game. 

I'd love to see run given to a Ren / JG front court. Ah the athleticism...

Marion has to be the only NAIA team with a former top 40 player.        Taeshon  Cherry played at Arizona St and Grand Canyon before he transferred to Marion.   Wonder how a California kid ends up in Indiana at an NAIA school 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

That being said, he commonly uses ‘Well, again…’ as a word transition regardless of whether or not he has addressed the subject of inquiry. 

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Marion has to be the only NAIA team with a former top 40 player.        Taeshon  Cherry played at Arizona St and Grand Canyon before he transferred to Marion.   Wonder how a California kid ends up in Indiana at an NAIA school 

Three schools in four years, the third being an NAIA school due to academic issues...and this isn't counting the commitment to USC he backed out of late in his recruitment (so it's actually four schools in four years).  He left his former high school just days before the season started and enrolled in another high school which he was later expelled from.  So, this kid is on his sixth school in five years...or maybe seven if he finished high school elsewhere after being expelled.  Whew!