Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

22-23 BIG TEN Projections

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

Iowa scored 118 points in their exhibition and were 14-25 from three. Kris Murray and Tony Perkins  had really good games. 

If they can play defense on the level they did last year I think they have as good as shot as anyone to win the league. 

They played defense last year? Must have missed that lol. 

This is probably the most challenging year to pick B1G has been in a while. I think IU is the clear #1. Michigan and Illinois are 2-3 in some order. 4-10 IMO can be in any order. Here are my picks:

B1G Poll

1. IU- Too much talent..at least on paper...compared to the rest of the conference. Key will be shooting. 

2. Illinois- High ceiling team. How will they play out? I really like Skyy Clark and Ty Rodgers. I think Shannon will be very good for Underwood. How big of the jump does Hawkins make?

3. Michigan- I trust Juwan Howard to have Michigan in the mix. Hunter Dickinson is going to put up huge numbers this year. I like Llewllyn the transfer from Princeton. Bufkin will have to step up. 

4. Ohio State- LOVE their freshman class. I think McNeil (Who IU Wanted) will be good. How healthy will Sueing be? I think this is a team that will be top ten good NEXT year. 

5. Michigan State- In terms of experience they are second to IU. But who steps up for Sparty? My bet is Walker or Malik Hall. Center is a big question mark for them. 

6. Iowa- I think Murray will make a jump but not as much as some think. They return some decent players from last year. Depth is a concern for me. and Defense. Not a Fran fan but I think he will get this team in the big dance.

7.  Maryland- My surprise team. I think Willard will do well at Maryland. He has a few transfers (Young) with some experience coming back. I think Maryland was much better than their record shows a year ago. It didn't help they had an interim coach. 

8. Purdue- Borderline tournament team. Can Edey play a lot? I'm not sure he can. Backcourt is a concern for me. Loyer and Smith, two true freshmen, have to step up. However, Matt Painter will have them in the mix. I say Boilers sneak in.

9. Wisconsin- Decent frontcourt. I'm not buying the Chucky hype like some people. I was in person last year at Assembly Hall for the collapse by IU. It was literally Johnny Davis and Brad that killed us. I think losing those two will really hurt them. But, it's Wisconsin. They are kinda like Michael Myers. I won't believe they will suck until they actually do...

10. Rutgers- I was kind of high on this team in the preseason. However, losing Geo and Harper is going to hurt. Saw McConnell is out with an injury. I think Clifford will have a big year. Just don't sure they will be that deep this year. 

11. Minnesota- Battle and Garcia along with Cooper will make things fun. I like their starting 5. But, not sure they have the depth. NIT team maybe? But a year away. 

12. Penn State- I like Micah (as a Cowboys fan I think anyone with the name Micah who is associated with Penn State is a bad a**). Again, I think they are a year away. 

13/14. Northwestern/Nebraska- They will get beat up this year. Only two "gimmies" in the B1G. I think both will have a new coach in 23-24.

Awards

B1G Player of the Year: Hunter Dickinson. I would love for Trayce to win. I think he will be second. However, I think Hunter is going to put up massive numbers on a top 25ish team. 

B1G Freshman of the Year: Skyy Clark. Again, I want to pick Jalen. I just think Skyy is going to have to do more for Illinois than Jalen will for us..unless Xavier plays the way he did on Saturday. 

B1G Coach of the Year: Kevin Willard. I think he will make Maryland respectable again. He really took Seton Hall as far as he could with them. He has a solid roster. I want to pick Woody but they're pick to finish first. 

All-Conference

1st Team: Hunter Dickinson (Michigan), Trayce Jackson-Davis (IU), Kris Murray (Iowa), Terrence Shannon Jr (Illinois), Xavier Johnson (IU-yes. I think when he's on he is the best PG in the B1G). 

2nd Team: Zach Edey (Purdue), Malik Hall (Michigan State), Jaelin Llewellyn (Michigan), Skyy Clark (Illinois), Jahmir Young (Maryland)

3rd Team: Tyler Wahl (Wisconsin), Jamison Battle (Minnesota), Justice Sueing (Ohio State), Caleb McConnell (Rutgers), Jalen Hood-Schifino (IU)

Tournament: 

IU- 4 seed (IF IU goes 2-2 or better in our 4 non-con games it will help their seeding. I'm afraid this will be like 2016. Win the B1G but get a crappy seed in the tournament.)

Illinois-6 seed 

Michigan-7 seed

Ohio State-8 seed

Michigan State-9 seed

Iowa-10 seed

Maryland-11 seed

Purdue-11 or 12 seed (last 4 in)

BONUS: IU Record 9-2 in non-conference (beat UNC and Arizona; lose to Xavier (first true road game) and Kansas (close one). 15-5 in B1G play. Regular season champs. Conference Tournament Champs. Make the Sweet 16 and lose to pUKe (you d**n well know they'll put us together in Louisville if they can). 29-8 overall. I think it'll be a good year, but we fall short. Trayce becomes an IU legend. Woody has this program going in the right direction..I hope. I won't apologize for having high expectations. IF they are the #13 team in the country and B1G favorite their season will look like this. Time will tell. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

I agree with the majority of that, I still thank JHS will get the nod above sky clark. 

I hope! If he plays like he did Saturday on a consistent basis. Not sure how they determine first team and what not but if it includes multiple guards I think Jalen and Xavier have a chance to be 1st team. 

20 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

This is probably the most challenging year to pick B1G has been in a while. I think IU is the clear #1. Michigan and Illinois are 2-3 in some order. 4-10 IMO can be in any order. Here are my picks:

B1G Poll

1. IU- Too much talent..at least on paper...compared to the rest of the conference. Key will be shooting. 

2. Illinois- High ceiling team. How will they play out? I really like Skyy Clark and Ty Rodgers. I think Shannon will be very good for Underwood. How big of the jump does Hawkins make?

3. Michigan- I trust Juwan Howard to have Michigan in the mix. Hunter Dickinson is going to put up huge numbers this year. I like Llewllyn the transfer from Princeton. Bufkin will have to step up. 

4. Ohio State- LOVE their freshman class. I think McNeil (Who IU Wanted) will be good. How healthy will Sueing be? I think this is a team that will be top ten good NEXT year. 

5. Michigan State- In terms of experience they are second to IU. But who steps up for Sparty? My bet is Walker or Malik Hall. Center is a big question mark for them. 

6. Iowa- I think Murray will make a jump but not as much as some think. They return some decent players from last year. Depth is a concern for me. and Defense. Not a Fran fan but I think he will get this team in the big dance.

7.  Maryland- My surprise team. I think Willard will do well at Maryland. He has a few transfers (Young) with some experience coming back. I think Maryland was much better than their record shows a year ago. It didn't help they had an interim coach. 

8. Purdue- Borderline tournament team. Can Edey play a lot? I'm not sure he can. Backcourt is a concern for me. Loyer and Smith, two true freshmen, have to step up. However, Matt Painter will have them in the mix. I say Boilers sneak in.

9. Wisconsin- Decent frontcourt. I'm not buying the Chucky hype like some people. I was in person last year at Assembly Hall for the collapse by IU. It was literally Johnny Davis and Brad that killed us. I think losing those two will really hurt them. But, it's Wisconsin. They are kinda like Michael Myers. I won't believe they will suck until they actually do...

10. Rutgers- I was kind of high on this team in the preseason. However, losing Geo and Harper is going to hurt. Saw McConnell is out with an injury. I think Clifford will have a big year. Just don't sure they will be that deep this year. 

11. Minnesota- Battle and Garcia along with Cooper will make things fun. I like their starting 5. But, not sure they have the depth. NIT team maybe? But a year away. 

12. Penn State- I like Micah (as a Cowboys fan I think anyone with the name Micah who is associated with Penn State is a bad a**). Again, I think they are a year away. 

13/14. Northwestern/Nebraska- They will get beat up this year. Only two "gimmies" in the B1G. I think both will have a new coach in 23-24.

Awards

B1G Player of the Year: Hunter Dickinson. I would love for Trayce to win. I think he will be second. However, I think Hunter is going to put up massive numbers on a top 25ish team. 

B1G Freshman of the Year: Skyy Clark. Again, I want to pick Jalen. I just think Skyy is going to have to do more for Illinois than Jalen will for us..unless Xavier plays the way he did on Saturday. 

B1G Coach of the Year: Kevin Willard. I think he will make Maryland respectable again. He really took Seton Hall as far as he could with them. He has a solid roster. I want to pick Woody but they're pick to finish first. 

All-Conference

1st Team: Hunter Dickinson (Michigan), Trayce Jackson-Davis (IU), Kris Murray (Iowa), Terrence Shannon Jr (Illinois), Xavier Johnson (IU-yes. I think when he's on he is the best PG in the B1G). 

2nd Team: Zach Edey (Purdue), Malik Hall (Michigan State), Jaelin Llewellyn (Michigan), Skyy Clark (Illinois), Jahmir Young (Maryland)

3rd Team: Tyler Wahl (Wisconsin), Jamison Battle (Minnesota), Justice Sueing (Ohio State), Caleb McConnell (Rutgers), Jalen Hood-Schifino (IU)

Tournament: 

IU- 4 seed (IF IU goes 2-2 or better in our 4 non-con games it will help their seeding. I'm afraid this will be like 2016. Win the B1G but get a crappy seed in the tournament.)

Illinois-6 seed 

Michigan-7 seed

Ohio State-8 seed

Michigan State-9 seed

Iowa-10 seed

Maryland-11 seed

Purdue-11 or 12 seed (last 4 in)

BONUS: IU Record 9-2 in non-conference (beat UNC and Arizona; lose to Xavier (first true road game) and Kansas (close one). 15-5 in B1G play. Regular season champs. Conference Tournament Champs. Make the Sweet 16 and lose to pUKe (you d**n well know they'll put us together in Louisville if they can). 29-8 overall. I think it'll be a good year, but we fall short. Trayce becomes an IU legend. Woody has this program going in the right direction..I hope. I won't apologize for having high expectations. IF they are the #13 team in the country and B1G favorite their season will look like this. Time will tell. 

Wow! That took some effort.  Great job!

6 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I hope! If he plays like he did Saturday on a consistent basis. Not sure how they determine first team and what not but if it includes multiple guards I think Jalen and Xavier have a chance to be 1st team. 

Don’t want to quote your wall, but very impressive work, and I didn’t think you were homering too hard at all. Probably put in more effort there than a majority of CBB publications did lol. 

Michigan State struggled last night against Grand Valley State. They were down at halftime and it was close throughout the second half until the last 8 minutes 73-56 MSU. 

I still can’t believe they only have 7 scholarship players that have played college basketball. 

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Wow! That took some effort.  Great job!

3 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Don’t want to quote your wall, but very impressive work, and I didn’t think you were homering too hard at all. Probably put in more effort there than a majority of CBB publications did lol. 

Thanks! Little one and the wife were asleep so I felt like doing something big. Pretty excited for the year. CBB is better when IU is near or at the top. I can't freaking wait to be there on Monday night. 

Also have to give a shoutout to the Almanac. Really good CBB season preview put together by the Field of 68 guys. They aren't as high on IU as most publications are. But some good info in there. If anyone wants a link to it DM me I'm more than happy to share. 

22 minutes ago, Demo said:

If this is their lineup going forward, they are REALLY gonna struggle to defend. Holy smokes.

Well then, who the heck is Painter supposed to start? Gillis and Morton are in there primarily because they’re the two best defenders on the roster.

The two freshman guards are starting because Newman is a lousy defender. Their other guard, Jenkins, has been benched at two other crap programs because of his lack of defense.

Lots of offensive talent but “defense will not live (t)here” this year.

Purdue had its exhibition game against Truman State tonight. They scored over 100 points, but the freshman starting guards were a combined 1-9 from the floor. They could start Jenkins at the point, but he’s not a point guard on either end. He’s very much a DeVonte Green clone in size and skill set.

I think they’re an Edey injury away from a sad season. Maybe he’ll play 28 minutes and not miss a game. They’re gonna need that.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Purdue had its exhibition game against Truman State tonight. They scored over 100 points, but the freshman starting guards were a combined 1-9 from the floor. They could start Jenkins at the point, but he’s not a point guard on either end. He’s very much a DeVonte Green clone in size and skill set.

I think they’re an Edey injury away from a sad season. Maybe he’ll play 28 minutes and not miss a game. They’re gonna need that.

I just wonder in the big ten how they will survive those other 12 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I just wonder in the big ten how they will survive those other 12 minutes. 

Caleb Furst is a fantastic backup to Edey if that’s his role. And Trey Kaufman will score.

But the guards are a tricky situation at best.

Caleb Furst is a fantastic backup to Edey if that’s his role. And Trey Kaufman will score.

Great, great front court. Young scrappy backcourt but clearly lacking in size, athleticism. However, a coach that knows what it takes to win. Purdue is a very interesting case this season. You’ve been notably low on them, I’ve been notably high on them despite the crappy guard situation, but I have some doubts too. Painter trying to boost his clout this season.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

39 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Man, I thought Kaufman was supposed to be special?  He doesn't start over Morton!?!?   Interesting.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I was shocked that last year they didn’t try more “Furst at the 5” lineups for defense. Yes, obviously, that would’ve meant no Trevion or Edey, but if you’re getting worked on the PNR and/or trying to protect a lead, or force TOs, can’t you exchange some offense for defense — or go to heavy spread ballscreen with your lottery pick and still be pretty good on that end?

Painter’s a good coach, and maybe sitting 2 of your 3 best guys is too galaxy brained. But I remember St. Peter’s just absolutely giving it to them and thinking they should’ve tried something different to save their season.

Furst/Gillis/Morton/Hunter/Ivey would’ve intrigued me.