Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Basketball Announcers

Love me some Sean McDonough for any sport. Jason Benetti is fantastic. I really like Bilas and Dakich when they aren’t ranting. I’m actually not as big on Hummel as some. His work on Purdue games is really irritating, but otherwise he’s fine.

Fire Stephen Bardo into the furthest possible reaches of our galaxy. 

I have a hunch that we aren’t far off from Fisch hanging them up. I wonder who could possibly try to fill his shoes because they’re large and un-fillable. 

14 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I have a hunch that we aren’t far off from Fisch hanging them up. I wonder who could possibly try to fill his shoes because they’re large and un-fillable.

I rue the day. I hope we replace him with someone similar. My fear is that it will be a personality who wants to be the show. Don is the voice of IU basketball and football since the early '70s. He has done this with class and humility even through the numerous broadcasting awards he has won. Never has it been about him. I know he doesn't need me singing his praises and the thread is not about him, but it had to be said for everyone for whom he has been IU sports. 

Now on topic, I like anyone who provide insight into what's happening on the court or field. What bugs me the most is when broadcaster guy and color guy go off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what is happening in real time in front of them.

Basketball wise... It's pretty empty anymore. Hubie Brown was always a good one for the NBA. Dude just explained what was actually happening in the court and why. I honestly love Quinn Buckner. He explains a lot of what's happening on the court as well and shows the excitement you wanna hear. There isn't a whole lot going on in college basketball unfortunately though. Robbie Hummel can be really good though and even Brian Butch has had some good games. 

I was listening to a Toronto Raptors game this week. They have Jack Armstrong as their color guy. He’s a born and raised Brooklyn-er who was the former HC at University of Niagara.

Super heavy NY accent, knowledgeable, excited about the game.

He was great.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Seems like this can be a solid all-encompassing thread.

Yes, we all live Fisch. Who else you got?

I like Fisch for basketball but I think he is terrible at football announcing 

I liked Mark Boyle when I used to listen to Pacers radio broadcasts and Jerry Baker before him. Mark used to have a radio show in Indy years ago that I loved listening to. He had a dry sense of humor that was just understated enough to be brilliant. In the college game I liked Dakich when he first started. Coach Knight too early on. Shon Morris and Robbie Hummel are fine with me.

The voice is important. There is a female announcer, don't remember her name, whose voice just grates on me. I have nothing against women in sports broadcasting, I love Sage Steele and others, but that one not so much.

21 minutes ago, cthomas said:

The voice is important. There is a female announcer, don't remember her name, whose voice just grates on me. I have nothing against women in sports broadcasting, I love Sage Steele and others, but that one not so much.

Beth Mowins is particularly brutal, imo. 

36 minutes ago, cthomas said:

There is a female announcer, don't remember her name, whose voice just grates on me. 

Could it be Lisa Boyington by chance? She does some play by play for hoops and (I think) football. College

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When I was young there were announcers when you heard their voice you knew it was a big game. Pat Summerall, D.  Enberg, Al Micheals, Vin Scully 

Yep

And at various points, “back in the day”,  Keith Jackson, Brent Musburger, Howard Cosell and John Madden also spent time in the “big game” arena.

7 minutes ago, DWB said:

Could it be Lisa Boyington by chance? She does some play by play for hoops and (I think) football. College

Possibly. Like I said I don't remember her name. I know this is going to get me in trouble with some, but I want female announcers to sound feminine and not like they are trying to be one of the boys. Feminine and knowledgeable about sports are not mutually exclusive categories. I readily admit that it is probably way more complicated than that. I have daughters and granddaughters and I want them to have the opportunity to do anything they have the ability to do. Man, I went off on a tangent there didn't I.

Yep
And at various points, “back in the day”,  Keith Jackson, Brent Musburger, Howard Cosell and John Madden also spent time in the “big game” arena.
Madden drove me nuts when I was younger. Like many other things in my life I've learned to appreciate him after he was gone. His doodles man.... Whomever brought up Enberg was also spot on. I'll add Dan Dierdorf as a fantastic color guy. There was a time on MNF where it was Michaels, Dierdorf and Gifford....to me that was as good as it gets for a broadcasting team.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk