Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

They Fired Tom Allen!

13 minutes ago, J34 said:

What were your expectations?

My expectations coming into this season? I fully expected this season to turn out how it has turned out because Tom Allen is a god awful coach. But generally? There’s no reason we can’t be an average football team. The worst team in the conference isn’t something we should accept. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

My expectations coming into this season? I fully expected this season to turn out how it has turned out because Tom Allen is a god awful coach. But generally? There’s no reason we can’t be an average football team. The worst team in the conference isn’t something we should accept. 

Trust me, I don't "willingly" accept it.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It's not just Tom Allen. Not disagreeing with you, but what do we do, to be an "average" football team? People have been trying for 138 years to try and figure it out.

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

Trust me, I don't "willingly" accept it.

I see way too many “it’s IU football, what do you expect” comments. Sure, it’s IU football. I accept that we’re never going to be a national title contender. But there’s a wide gap between national title contender and national laughingstock, which is what we are now. There’s no reason we can’t consistently fail somewhere between the two. 

Unfortunately we’re stuck where we are now for the next two years because of Allen’s buyout. 

9 minutes ago, J34 said:

It's not just Tom Allen. Not disagreeing with you, but what do we do, to be an "average" football team? People have been trying for 138 years to try and figure it out.

Invest. 

Indiana has always invested in basketball while they treated football as cheap filler.  It's why any success in football has always been purely coincidental. 

Sure, we made adjustments to the stadium but we need to do more. 

1 hour ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

Invest. 

Indiana has always invested in basketball while they treated football as cheap filler.  It's why any success in football has always been purely coincidental. 

Sure, we made adjustments to the stadium but we need to do more. 

Agree! I've been saying this for 40+ years. Unacceptable 

27 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

This staff is as bad as I’ve seen in 40 years. Spent the last two years getting absolutely nothing out of these players. Poorly coached in about every aspect of the game. Pretty obvious Allen’s early success was related to a couple of assistants.

1982 was Corso's last year.  We went 5-6 with win over Purdue.  Team could have easily gone 7-4 with a bowl appearance.  40 years ago this team was exciting to watch/listen to.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Unfortunately we’re stuck where we are now for the next two years because of Allen’s buyout. 

If we continue down this path, no way he gets two more years. Saving $7.5 million isn't worth going through two more years of this. 

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

To not ruin this program to the point where we're facing a multi-year rebuild whenever we finally move on from Allen. I don't think that's asking too much. 

Preaching to the choir. We've been facing a multi year rebuild damn near every decade. 

13 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

If we continue down this path, no way he gets two more years. Saving $7.5 million isn't worth going through two more years of this. 

I think you have your numbers mixed up. We’d keep him around for two more years to save 20M+.

On 10/23/2022 at 5:46 PM, cthomas said:

Agree 100% with this. Maybe we can't be top 4 or5 in the conference, but there are plenty of programs that we should be able to be better than. I've never understood how Northwestern with their academic standards could possibly be better than us in football. Doesn't seem possible and yet it is.

They have the right model and one we should emulate.  First, they hired a lifer as coach. He has zero interest going elsewhere.  Huge when recruiting for a school like NW.  And as long as he meets expectations — more good years than bad years — he’s safe.  I know we want Tom Allen gone, but then what.  Who you going to get?  

11 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

They have the right model and one we should emulate.  First, they hired a lifer as coach. He has zero interest going elsewhere.  Huge when recruiting for a school like NW.  And as long as he meets expectations — more good years than bad years — he’s safe.  I know we want Tom Allen gone, but then what.  Who you going to get?  

We need to find another Bill Mallory.  

9 minutes ago, WhiteyMcSpeed said:

Go after Deion Sanders, if we do not win, it would still be entertaining. I do not think the top power 5 programs with openings (auburn, Wisconsin, Nebraska, GTech) will give him a chance yet. We would get recruits, who he would hire as coordinators would be key. 

I wonder if Woody is friends with Neon?