Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Recommended Posts

So what names could get in the mix?

Liberty is expected to make swings at some active head coaches, due to its resources. Coastal Carolina head coach Jamey Chadwell hasn’t been able to get Power 5 bites, despite his massive success at Coastal, opening the possibility of other Group of 5 jobs that pay a lot more, like USF. (And unlike USF, Liberty has won recently.) Chadwell is 31-5 over the past three years at Coastal, and he’s won everywhere he’s been. He was the lowest-paid FBS head coach before the breakout season in 2020, later doubling his salary to more than $1 million. Liberty can offer him a lot more. But would leaving the Sun Belt for Conference USA be a step up? Liberty could also make a push for other Sun Belt names like Georgia Southern head coach Clay Helton and James Madison head coach Curt Cignetti.

Indiana head coach Tom Allen has had a rough two years since the breakout season of 2020. After a top-15 finish that year, the Hoosiers have gone 2-10 and 4-8 in the past two seasons, including 2-16 in Big Ten play. Could a break be beneficial for both sides? His buyout is massive, at $20 million if Indiana wanted to fire him even after the 2023 season. But the buyout on Allen’s end to leave drops to $4 million on Dec. 1, which is plenty manageable. His salary is right around $5 million, something we know Liberty could pay, as it did for Freeze. Allen and Freeze also go back more than a decade together. Of course, leaving a Big Ten job for a Conference USA job would be basically unprecedented, but multiple industry sources have mentioned Allen’s name as one to potentially watch.

https://theathletic.com/3948746/2022/11/29/liberty-football-coach-candidates-freeze-auburn/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I'd be shocked if Allen leaves for Liberty. And dumbfounded if Liberty offered the job to Allen. 

Yeah, nothing about that makes sense. Liberty could do much better and he has no reason to move to Virginia, though you could argue the Liberty job is only worse in the sense of the level they play at. If USF or FAU come calling? Sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Yeah, nothing about that makes sense. Liberty could do much better and he has no reason to move to Virginia, though you could argue the Liberty job is only worse in the sense of the level they play at. If USF or FAU come calling? Sure. 

Conference USA is, depending on your perspective, the worst or the second worst conference in the country (#MACtion), and it just looks like a bunch of unwanted schools had to band together because either they don't care about athletics (Florida International, UTEP), they pissed off the wrong people (Louisiana Tech), or are just toxic (Liberty).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

Conference USA is, depending on your perspective, the worst or the second worst conference in the country (#MACtion), and it just looks like a bunch of unwanted schools had to band together because either they don't care about athletics (Florida International, UTEP), they pissed off the wrong people (Louisiana Tech), or are just toxic (Liberty).

Your last point is the biggest reason I don’t see him going there even if they did offer. The way Liberty operates isn’t his style at all. He’s very religious, but he’s *actually* religious as opposed to whatever Liberty claims to be/is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Your last point is the biggest reason I don’t see him going there even if they did offer. The way Liberty operates isn’t his style at all. He’s very religious, but he’s *actually* religious as opposed to whatever Liberty claims to be/is. 

Doesn't Liberty claim to be all about LEO?  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

Your last point is the biggest reason I don’t see him going there even if they did offer. The way Liberty operates isn’t his style at all. He’s very religious, but he’s *actually* religious as opposed to whatever Liberty claims to be/is. 

Liberty has had a change of administration due to *circumstances*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I give a ton of credit to the Internet warriors who have no doubt been tirelessly working the echo chambers of bloggers and fan boards to try and speak this into existence. Allen is about as popular as a fart in church right now. 

We are doing our best lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I give a ton of credit to the Internet warriors who have no doubt been tirelessly working the echo chambers of bloggers and fan boards to try and speak this into existence. Allen is about as popular as a fart in church right now. 

At least farts in church are funny. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, didn’t we give him a big buyout to prevent another school from poaching him? In the event Liberty decided to tear out the hearts of IUFB fans and hire Allen, could we theoretically let them have him without paying us anything? (Not that we’d ever want that to happen because he’s a great coach, oh please Liberty, if you’re reading, he’s outstanding, please don’t do it!) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I give a ton of credit to the Internet warriors who have no doubt been tirelessly working the echo chambers of bloggers and fan boards to try and speak this into existence. Allen is about as popular as a fart in church right now. 

We're really trying to will this into reality and get "#HireTomAllen" a reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×