Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

They Fired Tom Allen!

35 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

This is interesting. A 100% unscientific, off the cuff, without any evidence case study in NIL for IU. According to IU's website there are 760K graduates of IU. To use conservative numbers, let's just start with the 415K that are grads of IU-Bloomington. Let's assume 20% of that number actually care about football, so 83,000. Of that, maybe 2/3rds of people recognize NIL is a legitimate and necessary thing and are willing to contribute some amount of money to help the IU football program. So now we're down to ~50,000. This doesn't consider grads of other campuses and other fans that aren't alums. If we set a realistic goal for IU football to be a middle of the pack Big Ten program, let's assume our NIL contribution totals will be in line with that, so also middle of the pack. So maybe $5M toward collectives to pay players? That would mean an average donation of $100 across those 50,000 alums to get there. Considering 1 person was willing to contribute $1M, that average donation for the rest is down to $80. Is it doable?  

Your admittedly unscientific study vastly overstates the number of IU alumni that could give one hairy turd about IU football.

1 hour ago, monskisprodigy said:

Blaming NIL on our recent dumpster fire seasons is a bad look for CTA in my opinion. Punting accountability for an inability to maintain a staff capable of developing the players that he has recruited. Recruiting classes have been historically better than arguably any time on paper, and the results are pitiful.  

I understand that the current environment is allowing power schools to tap into donors for large NIL pools to be paid out to the top talent....but we were never getting those kids anyways. Develop the talent you have, put a competitive product on the field, win some damn games and maybe...just maybe the money will come. 

Putting the blame on donors for IU stinking, because we aren't coughing up NIL money is hard to swallow. I would love to see the collective NIL money going to offensive lineman in the big ten.... 

And to be clear...we aren't only losing to the Big 3 Power Schools that Allen mentions. We can't beat anyone right now. 

Accountability has never seemed to be a thing under Coach Allen. This year we have losses to Rutgers, Nebraska, and Maryland. We also lost to Cincinnati, and we’ll probably lose to Purdue and a very mediocre MSU team. Last year we lost to Iowa, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, and Purdue. Allen doesn’t get to lose to schools of that caliber and then whine about how hard it is to win against Michigan, OSU, and PSU. Like dude it’s not just those schools. You can’t beat anybody.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Your admittedly unscientific study vastly overstates the number of IU alumni that could give one hairy turd about IU football.

I don't appreciate you pointing out that my admittedly unscientific study contains a complete lack of scientific data. 

7 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I don't appreciate you pointing out that my admittedly unscientific study contains a complete lack of scientific data. 

Lol... I guess my point is that any rich alums who are gong to give notable NIL money to IU sports are going to prioritize the sports they learned to love at IU; men's basketball, soccer, swimming, women's basketball, nerf basketball, and basketballbasketballbasketball.

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Accountability has never seemed to be a thing under Coach Allen. This year we have losses to Rutgers, Nebraska, and Maryland. We also lost to Cincinnati, and we’ll probably lose to Purdue and a very mediocre MSU team. Last year we lost to Iowa, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, and Purdue. Allen doesn’t get to lose to schools of that caliber and then whine about how hard it is to win against Michigan, OSU, and PSU. Like dude it’s not just those schools. You can’t beat anybody.

Recently?  You mean recently, right?

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Recently what?

Beat anybody, recently.  It was only 2 years ago that we beat Penn St., Sparty, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

31 minutes ago, Rico said:

Beat anybody, recently.  It was only 2 years ago that we beat Penn St., Sparty, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Eh, that depends in part on how much credibility you give to that season. I personally view it as a complete fluke. Players opting out, players missing because they were in protocols, no fans, etc. We had a chance to prove it wasn’t a fluke the following season and, we’ll, we went 0-9 in the conference.

Regardless, those teams were all mediocre to bad football teams in 2020. Wisky was 4-3, PSU was 4-5, Michigan was 2-4, and MSU was 2-5. 

36 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Eh, that depends in part on how much credibility you give to that season. I personally view it as a complete fluke. Players opting out, players missing because they were in protocols, no fans, etc. We had a chance to prove it wasn’t a fluke the following season and, we’ll, we went 0-9 in the conference.

Regardless, those teams were all mediocre to bad football teams in 2020. Wisky was 4-3, PSU was 4-5, Michigan was 2-4, and MSU was 2-5. 

I get it. I also get that is a "what have you done for me lately" sports world.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Lol... I guess my point is that any rich alums who are gong to give notable NIL money to IU sports are going to prioritize the sports they learned to love at IU; men's basketball, soccer, swimming, women's basketball, nerf basketball, and basketballbasketballbasketball.

Was your  omission of beer pong intentional or accidental?

4 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

Blaming NIL on our recent dumpster fire seasons is a bad look for CTA in my opinion. Punting accountability for an inability to maintain a staff capable of developing the players that he has recruited. Recruiting classes have been historically better than arguably any time on paper, and the results are pitiful.  

I understand that the current environment is allowing power schools to tap into donors for large NIL pools to be paid out to the top talent....but we were never getting those kids anyways. Develop the talent you have, put a competitive product on the field, win some damn games and maybe...just maybe the money will come. 

Putting the blame on donors for IU stinking, because we aren't coughing up NIL money is hard to swallow. I would love to see the collective NIL money going to offensive lineman in the big ten.... 

And to be clear...we aren't only losing to the Big 3 Power Schools that Allen mentions. We can't beat anyone right now. 

I never heard him blame anybody for their lack of success the last two years. What he is stating is correct and everything he is talking about is the future and not the past.  

I also will see it being harder to bring in a top coach if we have an opening if we don't stack up in the NIL game.

The NIL for IU football is a double edged sword. The lack of success and bad decision making, will be hard for someone to make a big investment in the program. Yet, IUFB needs the money to keep up with the middle of the pack. The division breakdown is one other problem we have to deal with. 

Edited by J34

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never heard him blame anybody for their lack of success the last two years. What he is stating is correct and everything he is talking about is the future and not the past.  

I also will see it being harder to bring in a top coach if we have an opening if we don't stack up in the NIL game.

Absolutely correct. Like everything these days money is going to be king. In racing, they always say "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go." And equal financial opportunity won't let compete with the top teams. It's going to be a long hard process in football.

At least now with NIL you can choose to legally be in the game or not.

Problem is and it’s a big problem, IUFB will have to overpay to get equal talent. Trying to build a program at Indiana will require that until the other factors balance out. I guess then the questions of what does 4 Million get you, 5, 6, etc? It’s not an easy hole to get out of. However, and the same for IUBB, at least their is a avenue to balance out the talent discrepancy at least a little bit.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

On 11/17/2022 at 2:41 PM, Rico said:

Northwestern pays more?

We won't know because Northwestern is a private school and they'll just go "PRIVATE SCHOOL!" whenever someone asks for financial information on their wheelings and dealings.

But if its about football, the answer is probably "yes".

Coach Tom Allen wins the lottery (like others).  In 2006 T.A. Was a high school teacher and coach.  Then, he started his journey through the small college ranks and later had some success on the defensive side of the ball at a couple major colleges.  That’s it.  
In conclusion coach T. A. won a financial lottery at IU. (Tom Crean and Archie Miller) (like many others at various/different places and circumstances others have won similar financial lotteries of their own).

(P.S. Even before becoming a head coach T. A. was making good/decent money). T.A. is a financial success for him and his family.  I don’t blame him one bit for that.  He just took advantage of the opportunity/s presented to him.

36 minutes ago, Gahoosierfan said:

This season is going to be the best that Allen can produce. He is in over his head. He is a good recruiter, but not a good head coach. 

Lacks in recruiting as well like all other IU coaches to play major league.  IU often gets many left overs that high level schools don’t want as the nucleus of team but rather back ups.