Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

They Fired Tom Allen!

21 hours ago, iubb said:

His buyout is massive, at $20 million if Indiana wanted to fire him even after the 2023 season. But the buyout on Allen’s end to leave drops to $4 million on Dec. 1, which is plenty manageable.

16 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So, didn’t we give him a big buyout to prevent another school from poaching him?

I didn't realize that until reading these last few posts. That makes his contract look sooo much worse than I already thought it was. The big buyout is only so that IU won't fire Allen, not to keep others from poaching him. So it's just protecting the coach, not the school, in essence. Such a terrible contract. With moves like this, IU deserves to suck at football.

Another example of those in charge on or near top of the pyramid throwing money around without any real accountability.  After it’s all said and done, success means keeping job or more opportunity and big money…failure means getting large sum of money and moving on usually with some different high pay opportunities.  Gravy Train gig if you can get it. There are many examples 

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think there are a few things in play here. I do think there is smoke in the air about Liberty's interest in Allen. He was an assistant there, they can offer more money and more guaranteed years. He has to know the writing is on the wall here.

I think IU is not going to do anything to Allen because of the buyout right now. I think the MSU win helped, I think how we were playing early against Purdue helped and no one is donating 25 million. But I do think the administration has some things to announce as far as facility upgrades and things like that whenever Allen is gone and the new coach arrives. 

Just my two cents

He’s never worked at Liberty, but he did hitch his wagon to Freeze for about a decade so there’s a connection there, which is about the only one I can think of outside of the religious thing. 

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

He’s never worked at Liberty, but he did hitch his wagon to Freeze for about a decade so there’s a connection there, which is about the only one I can think of outside of the religious thing. 

Yes you are correct. Thank you. I read somewhere that some of those people that Allen worked with at Ole Miss are on the staff at Liberty right now. So maybe a small connection there. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Yes you are correct. Thank you. I read somewhere that some of those people that Allen worked with at Ole Miss are on the staff at Liberty right now. So maybe a small connection there. 

Half of his IU staff has Ole Miss connections and I’m sure a ton of Liberty’s staff has them too. Those guys pretty much all stuck together even with how ugly the Freeze thing ended. 

One story I read said CTA had worked for Freeze at three of his stops -- Lambuth, Arkansas and Mississippi. 

But I have no friggin' clue how that connects Allen to Liberty. 

Liberty prints money, so maybe if they offer him $6-7M a year, he might consider it -- but I don't see that happening. Especially coming off two-win and four-win seasons.

As it is, he's making $5M a year at a B1G school in his home state. He ain't gonna give that up. 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

One story I read said Allen had worked for Freeze at three of his stops -- Lambuth, Arkansas and  Mississippi. 

But I have no friggin' clue how that connects Allen to Liberty. 

Liberty prints money, so maybe if they offer him $6-7M a year, he might consider it -- but I don't see that happening. Especially coming off two-win and four-win seasons.

As it is, he's making $5M a year at a B1G school in his home state. He ain't gonna give that up. 

But for how much longer? 2 years at most. He could go there and sign a 6-8 year contract making 4-5 million. 

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But for how much longer? 2 years at most. He could go there and sign a 6-8 year contract making 4-5 million. 

I suppose so. But the dude already has probably made over $30M, and if he were to get fired in a year or two, would make his salary (another $5M to $10M) plus $7M to $15M or so in buyouts. If he's having health issues like you've indicated, I can just see him doing that -- then riding off into the sunset with even more major jingle in his pocket. 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

To be fair, a title of "Fire Tom Allen" may be a giveaway on how the fanbase feels about him.

Hey, we're just a bunch of irrational fans who don't know anything about coaching.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think there are a few things in play here. I do think there is smoke in the air about Liberty's interest in Allen. He was an assistant there, they can offer more money and more guaranteed years. He has to know the writing is on the wall here.

I think IU is not going to do anything to Allen because of the buyout right now. I think the MSU win helped, I think how we were playing early against Purdue helped and no one is donating 25 million. But I do think the administration has some things to announce as far as facility upgrades and things like that whenever Allen is gone and the new coach arrives. 

Just my two cents

What does the last sentence mean, we won't do any upgrades as long as Allen is here

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What does the last sentence mean, we won't do any upgrades as long as Allen is here

From what I understand the decision makers don’t think Allen is the guy but don’t want to pay the buyout. But have some money set aside or have a donor ready to donate so the new coach starts off with a bang. I’m not sure I fully understand it myself.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

From what I understand the decision makers don’t think Allen is the guy but don’t want to pay the buyout. But have some money set aside or have a donor ready to donate so the new coach starts off with a bang. I’m not sure I fully understand it myself.

So everyone is just standing pat until Allen is gone before fully committing to the football program. Not the worst idea, if you can go all out and get somebody good to take the next step.

24 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

So everyone is just standing pat until Allen is gone before fully committing to the football program. Not the worst idea, if you can go all out and get somebody good to take the next step.

I don't think the program is exactly at rock bottom, but I think we can see it from here.

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I don't think the program is exactly at rock bottom, but I think we can see it from here.

Sitting on our hands until the buyout hits the bargain bin will have us crash landing into rock bottom. That’s sooooo easy to recruit against.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

For NIL as well, if that is the case just pull the band aid off and start over now.